Is it possible to port VectrexWii to GC?

karl_oz

Is it possible to port VectrexWii to GC?

Post by karl_oz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm

So, there is this promising emulator called VectrexWii:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfIQAhBmozw
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/VectrexWii

And I was wondering, if it could be modified to run on the Gamecube, as well?
To be honest, I don't have the slightest clue about coding/programming. But noticing, that there are some emulators, which are developed simultaneously for Wii AND Gamecube, I just thought modifying the source code of this emulator might possibly do the trick??!

If anyone wants to take a look at this, here are some working links:
Wii Emulator: http://www.emu-land.net/consoles/wii/em ... 3916&fid=1
Source Code: http://www.emu-land.net/consoles/wii/em ... 3916&fid=2

The Vectrex is one of the few missing classic consoles, that I'd really like to see being emulated on the GC! Especially since my very own Vectrex seems to be broken by now - took it out of the basement today, and it's not working anymore: no picture, no sound; just some electrical humming :(
daxtsu

Re: Is it possible to port VectrexWii to GC?

Post by daxtsu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Apologies if it's bad conduct to reply to a several month old thread, but I ported VecxWii to Gamecube over the weekend after seeing this post, wanting a fun little challenge. I didn't fix any bugs the emulator had, nor the memory leak it has(according to the author), so it's pretty much just a straight port. What you see is what you get, pretty much. I tested the Gamecube DOL in Dolphin, and it seemed to run okay, but I have no way of testing it on real hardware, so yeah. Anyway, source is included as well. It was pretty much just a matter of turning off the Wii specific code with compiler checks(#ifdef WII), and then recompiling the GUI library, GRRLIB for Gamecube(took one #ifdef WII).

Have fun, mate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b10cwru1ncx9xq3

I also posted a bit more about it over on GBATemp:
http://gbatemp.net/topic/336210-vectrexwii-update/

Changelog:
-Ported to Gamecube
-Added preprocessor checks to determine if we're compiling for Wii or GC(to remove Wiimote/USB specific code)
-Compiled with GRRLIB 4.3.2 and DevkitPro r26
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 pm

nice job, thanks
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
julius

Post by julius » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:25 pm

daxtsu wrote:Apologies if it's bad conduct to reply to a several month old thread, but I ported VecxWii to Gamecube over the weekend after seeing this post, wanting a fun little challenge. I didn't fix any bugs the emulator had, nor the memory leak it has(according to the author), so it's pretty much just a straight port. What you see is what you get, pretty much. I tested the Gamecube DOL in Dolphin, and it seemed to run okay, but I have no way of testing it on real hardware, so yeah. Anyway, source is included as well. It was pretty much just a matter of turning off the Wii specific code with compiler checks(#ifdef WII), and then recompiling the GUI library, GRRLIB for Gamecube(took one #ifdef WII).

Have fun, mate.

Changelog:
-Ported to Gamecube
-Added preprocessor checks to determine if we're compiling for Wii or GC(to remove Wiimote/USB specific code)

Man how did you do that, I mean, how did you ported a wii emulator to the gamecube? I´m looking a way to port DOSBox Wii for the gamecube. I´m even able to learn about progrmaing if you tell me the way you did :o
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:31 pm

julius wrote:
daxtsu wrote:Apologies if it's bad conduct to reply to a several month old thread, but I ported VecxWii to Gamecube over the weekend after seeing this post, wanting a fun little challenge. I didn't fix any bugs the emulator had, nor the memory leak it has(according to the author), so it's pretty much just a straight port. What you see is what you get, pretty much. I tested the Gamecube DOL in Dolphin, and it seemed to run okay, but I have no way of testing it on real hardware, so yeah. Anyway, source is included as well. It was pretty much just a matter of turning off the Wii specific code with compiler checks(#ifdef WII), and then recompiling the GUI library, GRRLIB for Gamecube(took one #ifdef WII).

Have fun, mate.

Changelog:
-Ported to Gamecube

Man how did you do that, I mean, how did you ported a wii emulator to the gamecube? I´m looking a way to port DOSBox Wii for the gamecube. I´m even able to learn about progrmaing if you tell me the way you did :o

FYI, he posted the details
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
infact

Post by infact » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:37 am

On topic: Nice, thank you! Will try it tonight.

Off topic: For dosbox it takes a bit more than just commenting out Wii specific stuff, we need a working build of SDL (which i have on my bitbucket btw.) and a per-game configurable key mapper (GC controller button X -> DOS keyboard key Y). I could release a working build of dosbox in a few days, but it won't be useable without input (okay, the games would boot up at least). But let's keep related chatter in the dosbox thread...
infact
Image Image
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:58 pm

infact wrote:On topic: Nice, thank you! Will try it tonight.

Off topic: For dosbox it takes a bit more than just commenting out Wii specific stuff, we need a working build of SDL (which i have on my bitbucket btw.) and a per-game configurable key mapper (GC controller button X -> DOS keyboard key Y). I could release a working build of dosbox in a few days, but it won't be useable without input (okay, the games would boot up at least). But let's keep related chatter in the dosbox thread...
Are you still working on porting NeoCD-Wii and MAME Wii to Gamecube? I am always waiting for your releases.:)
julius

Post by julius » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Tested vecxgc.dol on real hardware with Swiss and I got a black screen. I know he explained in about two lines the process he did to translate the emulator but I wonder if you guys please, please, know about a kind of dumb guide about introduction to gamecube programming.
infact

Post by infact » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Hello again, now i have tried the port...
Unfortunately you forgot to change the wii-specific path (sd:/vec/) so i was only able to play the internal rom.
So, i created the build environment and fixed it. dol attached.

btw. it is not really difficult to enable sound support for this emu (it's already available in the sdl version, you need a conversion from 22050/8 bit), but i don't really care cause Aruskano (the wii port guy) wants to implement it as well.

Aaaaand now a bit offtopic again:
Yes, I plan to release updates of the gamecube ports of NeoGeoCD and MAME in the near future (gosh, I see it has been nearly a year since I initially started working on them... I get easily diverted :( uni sucks sometimes...) Also there are some other gc related (secret!) projects I am currently working on and I plan to release soon.
Attachments
vecxgc_fixed.zip
VecXGC path fixed
(537.58 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
infact
Image Image
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:35 am

infact wrote:Hello again, now i have tried the port...
Unfortunately you forgot to change the wii-specific path (sd:/vec/) so i was only able to play the internal rom.
So, i created the build environment and fixed it. dol attached.

btw. it is not really difficult to enable sound support for this emu (it's already available in the sdl version, you need a conversion from 22050/8 bit), but i don't really care cause Aruskano (the wii port guy) wants to implement it as well.

Aaaaand now a bit offtopic again:
Yes, I plan to release updates of the gamecube ports of NeoGeoCD and MAME in the near future (gosh, I see it has been nearly a year since I initially started working on them... I get easily diverted :( uni sucks sometimes...) Also there are some other gc related (secret!) projects I am currently working on and I plan to release soon.
Great! I will try your updates of the gamecube ports of NeoGeoCD and MAME as soon as you release them.
BTW, are your secret projects emus-related?
julius

Post by julius » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Excellent, now the emulator works but I cannot load any diferent rom than the one that is included with it. I´ll try changing the place I put the rom.Thx.
karl_oz

Post by karl_oz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 pm

You guys rule!
Honestly I haven't expected this thread to go anywhere further anymore. And now this?!! Thank you so much. Besides the missing sound it runs pretty good on real hardware.

I took some time today and altered the start screen, so that it reads "VectrexGC" now. And I also reworked the overlay for the built-in game "MineStorm", which turned out pretty well (it's more balanced/optimized now). Still, the emulator has to be recompiled with these graphical changes. Could anyone of you possibly do this? (see attachments below)

And finally, since Vectrex games are officially public domain by now, I've put together roms of all officially released games for this system (excluding the ones, that obiviously don't work, since they require special peripherals: the 3D-Imager and the LightPen). Just put the "vec" folder in the root of your SD cards, and it should work fine. I will also, do some rework on all the remaining overlays over the next couple of days. For now, enjoy them as they are...
Attachments
splashscreen.png
(40.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Minestorm.png
(43.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
roms.zip
(951.54 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
Last edited by karl_oz on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 pm

very nice! :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:49 pm

cool title change....i like it

Image Image Image
infact

Post by infact » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Included the new gfx. have fun!

(dol is not tested)

Edit: karl_oz noticed I used the wrong minestorm background, recompile added...
Attachments
vecxgc_new_logo_new_minestorm_bg.zip
recompile with new logo and new minestorm background
(569.71 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
infact
Image Image
julius

Post by julius » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Downloaded and working on real hardware. The feelings that remind this kind of old consoles is very particular, in this case a console I never heard of before and with such dificulty level. Thanks to God people still are trying to take the most advantage of gamecube capabilities and try to make/port the most amount of projects their imagination lets them and not only worry about most popular consoles. Good job guys.