Help with Emulators and controller adapters.

siphoned

Help with Emulators and controller adapters.

Post by siphoned » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am

Using emulators to play old NES or Genesis titles on the cube is fantastic. Much thanks to everyone who makes it possible. I don't have to blow in the cartridge 30 times to play a game on my old systems. However I still like the feel of the old controllers when playing some games. I bought a universal (NES, SNES, N64, Genesis) controller adapter for my gamecube and it works great, but all the emulator programs seem to require the C-stick on the gamecube controller to access the main menu for saving or changing games. Swapping a controller when I need main menu options is not the end of the world, but maybe I'm just missing something. Is there anyway to change/save games without using C-stick (or Z button) while using the latest emulators? Mostly referring to SNES9X GX, FCEU GX, and GenPlus GX.
andzlay

Re: Help with Emulators and controller adapters.

Post by andzlay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 pm

In SNEX9xgx you can press L+R+Y+X at the sametime. I think for FCEUGX it's Start+A. You can change it in the controller options anyway.
In Genplus press Z (probably SELECT on your controller, atleast it's mapped like this on my SNES-GCN adapter, which I bought from RetroUSB.com) +UP (or any other direction).

I found all this information in the WiiBrew Wiki.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Genesis_Plus#Ga ... default.29
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Snes9x_GX#Controls
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/FCE_Ultra_GX#Controls
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 am

Perfect. Thank you. SNES/NES work great with the button combos you listed. I could never change the button mapping to C-stick so I gave up on the mapping screen. All is good now. I don't have a select button on my genesis controller but after some more research (starting with the wiibrew wiki link) I was able to find the system settings for 3 button controllers and the option to set my own button combo to recall the menu. B + C = menu. Hell yeah. Thanks man!
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:48 pm

I just use a Playstation controller adapter myself. It's design is similar enough to the SNES to make it useful for NES and SNES, and isn't too bad for Genesis use. Use a PS1 controller though, I've heard of some minor issues with the pressure-sensitive PS2 controller buttons, and use a dual shock for the analog stick for emulator menus. These adapters can be had for $5 on eBay.

The only downside is that the select button is not wired up with this adapter, so for emulators select needs to go to Z, which is L1 and R1 on this pad. I think all the PS adapters have this issue.

I tried a pad which is a knockoff of the Wii Classic Controller, but it was junk. The Z buttons didn't work at all, and half the buttons needed to be mashed hard to register. The seller sent me a second, same issue. They finally offered a 50% refund, which after being sent 2 of them I accepted. I don't know if these are just junk or if I got bad ones though both had some pretty beat-up PCBs inside... and they have no proper select button anyway so it wouldn't have done me any good over the PS adapter which I should've probably ordered in the first place as it was the same price.

Hori's GB Player controller has a spare Z button in the select spot but it lacks the sticks, and they go for insane amounts of money these days.
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:46 am

On RetroArch on the Cube Controller it's C-Stick Left ...

I'm manly using my SNES to Wii Adapter witch don't have the Analog Pad's should be Mapped to the Start + Z