Cave Story GC - general discussion

alzen

Cave Story GC - general discussion

Post by alzen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Here's the thing. Probably we all read about CS port for GC, it was on it's way; probably it got cancelled when it was decided that Pixel will develop the Wii version along with Nintendo.

But what was the story about GC port, when did it stop? My searching resulted in being directed to non-existing page http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/, don't have screenshot now but one of Google search results showed something about "gamecube port made it to title screen".

Also, I found an original post from PeterM, probably the owner of that wordpress blog and ad we can read - person who was porting CS to GC, take a look here:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/thread ... rom-PeterM

I will quote it if that page is down someday:
PeterM has posted some news today about his work on both Cave Story and Quake for the Gamecube/Nintendo Wii.

Heres his newspost:
Phew, looks like Quake GameCube was pretty popular. As of now, it’s been downloaded 362 times. Who knew there were so many GameCube homebrew fans!

There’s all kinds of discussion going on about it on various forums and as much as I’d like to respond to all the queries, all those forums are just way too much to keep up with. So what I’ll do is cover the main points here.

Some folks have quite reasonably supposed that there won’t be any more GameCube homebrew from me because my Wii isn’t capable of running SD Media Launcher any more. The good news is that I do my development using a regular purple GameCube connected to my PC via a TV card. I think I would go insane if I were using the Wii as my main development console. It takes so long to start up and get into GameCube mode!

I really should have put a new post up here when I released Quake, as many sites have copied and pasted my last Quake post into their news items.

Additionally, I really should have put up a screenshot. Many sites used screenshots from GLQuake or highly modified Quake engines to illustrate their news posts, which is a shame because the shots they used don’t represent what the GameCube port looks like.

In terms of gameplay, some people don’t like the way the view centres itself vertically if you start moving. I think this is a Quake feature rather than a GameCube port feature and there should be something useful (”lookspring”?) in the options screen if you want to disable it. I like it on, so I never thought about it.

It’s unlikely that I’ll be doing any updates on Quake soon, mostly because I’m getting stuck into a new project at work and annoying network card issues have caused me to lose some schedule time, but partly because I’m pretty happy with Quake and there don’t seem to be any glaring issues that need fixed ASAP. That’s a first!

Anyway, I’m glad people seem to like the port and hopefully there’ll be something else for you in the coming months.

As I was concentrating on Quake, the GameCube ports of SDL or Cave Story haven’t really progressed much since I wrote about them last.

Simon Parzer has been working on the SDL port of Cave Story. He’s been doing a great job implementing a mixer for sound effects and music. We’re sharing the same Subversion repository so he can port to Linux and GP2X while I port to GameCube.

The GameCube port of SDL is going okay. The only problem I see is with the audio system. SDL won’t convert audio properly when the frequency change isn’t a power of two. Unfortunately the GameCube plays only 32KHz and 48KHz audio, which isn’t very common, and SDL won’t convert correctly between those frequencies and the usual suspects like 11KHz, 22KHz or 44KHz. This is due to be fixed in SDL 1.3, but until then I’ll need to write an on-the-fly rate conversion routine.

After I get back on schedule with work I’ll pick up SDL again. I hope once SDL is released that the flood gates will open for loads more GameCube ports. The scene seems a bit bare. I think the recent GameCube homebrew contest at DCemu only had one entrant!
SDL for the Gamecube/Wii would open the doors to much more homebrew for the systems, personally i cant wait to see it happen
Does anyone have any beta demo of CS GC port? Maybe you know how to contact this guy so we can ask about some stuff?
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Cave Story GC - general discussion

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:48 am

not worth it, just start the port again :P
alzen

Post by alzen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 am

If I can code and have a lot of time, maybe it's not a bad idea :). Still, I really would like to take a look at some demo, doesn't anyone have any version?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:18 am

even if you did, it would've been ported in 2007, far too much has changed to make the port really useful.

If it's pure SDL, then the port should be minimal.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 am

https://github.com/libretro/nxengine-libretro
Port of NxEngine to libretro - Cave Story game engine clone

I don't know whether GC RAM could hold it or not.
alzen

Post by alzen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 pm

I know that it may be a lame question but what is the connection between libretro and GC? As far as I can see NxEngine is enough to have good fun with cave story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUFO48HiXhg

So, is there any way to run CS on GC maybe? If not, how many effort is needed to make CS playable on GC via NxEngine?
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 am

alzen wrote:I know that it may be a lame question but what is the connection between libretro and GC? As far as I can see NxEngine is enough to have good fun with cave story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUFO48HiXhg

So, is there any way to run CS on GC maybe? If not, how many effort is needed to make CS playable on GC via NxEngine?
nxengine 20130305.7z
(354.59 KiB) Downloaded 9154 times
Try this build with your own risk. I compiled it with latest resource code. I know nothing about this core, and I did not test it. I can not make sure that it would work.
alzen

Post by alzen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:58 am

Thank you bearteam! Going to test it as soon as possible.

EDIT:
Tried it. It runs, the engine, but after putting it in copied game's directory of Deluxe version that works with nxEngine for Windows it recognizes only the .exe files. Trying to run doukutsu.exe results in long Loading kind of message and nothing changes for a long time. I didn't see the loaded game, guess it can go endless like that. So it doesn't run for now I guess.
Air Conditioner

Post by Air Conditioner » Wed May 29, 2013 3:35 am

Oh god I hope this happens. Anyone still working on the port?
Formerly Mizumi
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:24 pm

I am not familiar with Cave Story so can not say if its correct but it appears to work on GameCube with the NX Engine.dol from RetroArch 0.9.9

http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=347

You also need Cave Story itself - there is a english patched version third link. Extract zip to a folder then run Doukutu.exe from NX Engine.

http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php

Note it takes about one minute to start.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
alzen

Post by alzen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Please let us know Mizumi if it works in your case, I wasn't patient enough to wait through "Loading" message as I guess by my last post. I waited long enough I guess for gamecube to load such a small game. Still, maybe it wasn't long enough.

I'm curious what your results will look like.
Air Conditioner

Post by Air Conditioner » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 pm

Will do. I'd do anthing to get CS running on my GC(p). It's probably my favorite game.
Formerly Mizumi
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Yeah the NX Engine from the newest GameCube RetroArch 0.9.9 works.

It takes 72 seconds to start the Doukuto.exe

The wii version takes 15 seconds.

I tried bearteams .dol and that does not start.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
alzen

Post by alzen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:40 am

May you please share download link for Retroarch 0.9.9?

btw. It would be cool if someone can make a series of how-tos about compiling stuff for gamecube under Windows and Linux.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:46 am

alzen wrote: btw. It would be cool if someone can make a series of how-tos about compiling stuff for gamecube under Windows and Linux.

not a bad idea
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:18 am

alzen wrote:May you please share download link for Retroarch 0.9.9?
Link was posted previous page - scroll down for GC or wii RetroArch.

http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=347
alzen wrote:btw. It would be cool if someone can make a series of how-tos about compiling stuff for gamecube under Windows and Linux.
+1
alzen

Post by alzen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm glad compiling how-tos got so much thumbs up! Hope we will see a decent tutorials like that in the near future.

And about Cave Story. Yes, it works in 0.9.9! It's totally awesome, the speed is perfect(little slow downs when saving); now I have very comfortable way to discover CS(completed it once, but without the secrets). Also, Retroarch has much more funcional menu now - great news.