Getting a N64 emu to work (DVD) | Viper

Doomkeks

Getting a N64 emu to work (DVD) | Viper

Post by Doomkeks » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi everyone,

my last hombrew actions lay back half a decade so I'm not quite up to date with latest state of N64 emulating on the cube :oops: Please excuse my following stupid questions.

I have an early gen European GC with a Viper chip running Cobra1.6 (no problems here).
My SNES9X GX 0.0.4x emulator works like a treat on the GC (Method: Burn datadvd with SNES9X.dol and some roms; execute the .dol out of the Viper file browser)
That gained interest in running a N64 emulator on the GC.

Cube64 was the only N64 I found which runs on the GC. (and NOT64 but I'm not sure if it can run on the cube)
I downloaded the cube64.dol (1.1 beta) and tried the datadvd method mentioned above.
=> GC crashes with a green screen

After some more lurikng I tried to make a bootable homebrew disc out of the cube64.dol exactly following the GC Forever tutorial (I set the -v option in dollz3 for the Viper chip)
=> Black screen after the Gamecube intro

Tried the same with the SNES9X GX .dol file which works with the datadvd method just to see if works
=> Gamecube intro freezes

I also tired dummy filling the ISO files to match the magical 1.459.978.240 Bytes. Similar results. 10 DVD-Rs in the bin so far.

So just generally asked:
What are methods to get a N64 emu working on the GC?
(besides the Zelda injection methods that supports <10 games)

I saw that people are nowadays hacking SD cards on the GC pcb, would that get me any closer to N64 emulation?

Thanks in advance.
megalomaniac

Re: Getting a N64 emu to work (DVD) | Viper

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:11 am

you should look into purchasing an SD Gecko adapter.
All you will need is swiss flashed onto viper and you can load homebrew from SD card.
some emulators will freeze at boot if no SD card is detected to access a configuration files or bios file
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Doomkeks

Post by Doomkeks » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for your reply!

Swiss together with an SD Gecko (I'd simply make one myself) seems to be a shmick solution.
I really don't want to flash Swiss on my Viper chip though... I bricked one before. Don't touch a running system ;)

I'll propably get another cube and equip it with a XenoGC 2.0 Chip. (since XenoGC 2.0 are widely available and GCs are really cheap on eBay)

Just curious:
Why going through the huge effort installing the Wiikey Fusion in the cube when you can simply flash swiss to XenoGC or whatever chip and boot homebrew from SDGecko anyways?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:30 pm

xeno cannot be flashed with swiss internally like a viper / qoob
it can only boot original, backup, or homebrew DVDs
so with xeno you will always be required to have a working dvd drive and a correctly burned backup/homebrew DVD

WKF/WASP/WODE can eliminate the DVD drive and use on board storage (SD card) to load any backup or homebrew
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Doomkeks

Post by Doomkeks » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Ok, that makes sense ;)

I stubmbled upon this tutorial today and I got a working hombrew disc with the latest swiss nightly build.
That got me exciting and I made myself a gecko SD adapter out of an old mem card:

Both cube64 and NOT64 can now successfully be started from SD through the swiss DVD.
The N64 roms I tried don't not work properly yet but thats a different issue.

Starting GC Isos from SD seems to work perfectly.

Thanks a lot for your help!