How would one "port" an emulator the the Gamecube?

RetroRepair

How would one "port" an emulator the the Gamecube?

Post by RetroRepair » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 am

I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to try my hand at this and have been poking through the various sources out there right now.

I'm looking at the moment at having a go at porting Hatari (Atari ST emulator) which is based on SDL. I'm still quite a novice programmer so it'll be a mamoth task but I have some free time so why not take a look?

Does anyone have any tips for someone who's never done this before? Also, being SDL, would that mean I'd lose 240p?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: How would one "port" an emulator the the Gamecube?

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:53 am

RetroRepair wrote:I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to try my hand at this and have been poking through the various sources out there right now.

I'm looking at the moment at having a go at porting Hatari (Atari ST emulator) which is based on SDL. I'm still quite a novice programmer so it'll be a mamoth task but I have some free time so why not take a look?

Does anyone have any tips for someone who's never done this before? Also, being SDL, would that mean I'd lose 240p?
Porting an emulator is not a simple task at all. When I was younger I tried several times but failed.. it's not until now that I could probably do it (after going to university and studying, etc).

Even now though, it'd be a big task as you really have to know something about both the consoles you're intending on working with (the console to port and the one to port to).

I'd recommend looking at how the other emulators are ported, in this case, I'd look at the emulators which use SDL and how they were ported, like UAE-Wii.

Hope this helps a little..
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

Yeah it does, I know a fair bit about the ST but the Gamecube's a mystery to me at the moment.

Guess I'll have to look into it a bit more..

Is there a good resource on getting started with the GC?
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 am

correct me if i'm wrong, but this might be a good read
http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/index.html
Lutzero

Post by Lutzero » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Not hi-jacking, but is it hard to port an emulator (C64) which is already available for Wii to the Gamecube ?
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:58 pm

AC_Orange wrote:correct me if i'm wrong, but this might be a good read
http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/index.html
Thanks for that, I'll have a read later.

Lutzero, no worries, it's related.