Greetings from Xbox Linux

Anything before or after the GameCube!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Xbox Linux

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks, good luck with it. Check for continuity on the pins themselves to spots on the mainboard close by but also for shorts with adjacent pins. Use the stock chips as reference.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Here are some pics of the install
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:37 am

Looks like you could clean up your work a bit more, especially near C5B4? (the highest chip, right side near the top of it)
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:08 pm

I cleaned I re-flowed re-soldered checked every pin with the mutimeter on all 8 chips. No luck I think the board is fried well you can only learn from your mistakes. What I don't get is after fucking with 128mb ram upgrade I got my 1.6b xbox out and installed the Xeno FX that was in the 1.0 board and it was working fine till I flashed the chip with a 1.6 bios 256k thats when the chip was in the middle of flashing then froze. I left it on for a hour nothing so now my modchip is fried I'm not having a good week. When I load the xbox with softmod then try to load hexen its telling me that the chip is not writable this really blows fuck this ugly box
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:17 pm

After I cooled down a bit I wanted to check the one ram chip that didn't get installed. What I found was there is internal shorts in the chip I didn't even know that was possible but I'm 100% on this that these RAM chips are garbage. I contacted the seller and they were fast with a refund so that tells me they must have problems with these chips. This is the last time I'm buying components from ebay it cost me a xbox which isn't really that big of a deal since they are cheap but I was looking forward to the RAM upgrade.

The modchip failure I'm confused about. I flashed that chip about 8 times before now its dead. But lucky me I have one more modchip or so I thought. I took the old modchip out and soldered the 3 wires to the new one as soon as I plugged the power cord in the xbox turned itself on with flashing Red,Green then turned off. At this point I was in "throwing across room mode" because the modchip I bought and never used was DOA not the sellers fault but shit this really sucks. So where I'm at now is I have a 1.6b xbox with the pinheaders still soldered in (which the LPC port had to be rebuilt) and is softmodded for now. Thank god my saves are ok I'm very far in scarface and Eurasia has the same modchip in stock so I ordered one and a matrix glicher v1 and programmer so I can get back in to JTAG or RGH they call it now. My JTAG Xenon xbox 360 died long time ago I think it was 4 years so it will be nice having one again on a better motherboard I think I have a big block jasper and a falcon.

So I will give updates on my progress or failures.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Did you buy these new from eBay? I've had issues with ones from eBay acting just like you describe, or sometimes just not even being detected. When I've used chips I've pulled from other motherboards, I've had no issues.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:00 am

emu_kidid wrote:Did you buy these new from eBay? I've had issues with ones from eBay acting just like you describe, or sometimes just not even being detected. When I've used chips I've pulled from other motherboards, I've had no issues.
Yes that's where they came from. I figured that it would be better if the RAM was new also I didn't have a xbox to rip RAM out of
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:13 am

Just got back from too many games convention and picked up 2 xboxs and one had a surprise in it. A TX 2.6 ce Modchip! But its not working the soldering looks like shit so I will rework the board hopefully I can get it working.

Edit: Got the TX 2.6 CE working but its blank needs programming and no programmer if someone knows how to program the 2.6 CE with a disk or something? Also what is the flash size? The other Xbox I bought was a 1.2 version so best course of action is TSOP flash which I did last night and is working great just like a modchip. Now I have a 1.0 to rip the RAM out of but the numbers on the chips are not the same. 1.0 version :K4D263238M-QC50
1.2 version: K4D263238F-QC50 now does this F and M make it incompatible with each other?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:30 pm

:D :D :D FINALLY IT WORKS!!!! My 1.2 TSOP flashed Xbox is now 128mb! I took emus advice and took the ram out of the 1.0 Xbox that was a failure. N64 are running much better and I can also play perfect dark that previously run too slow for me to play. Thanks to my new hakko 888d I'm doing much better now soldering like everything just needed to right tool for the job.
Attachments
ram.jpg
(56.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:55 am

Nice, it's always exciting to see more than 64MB in XBMC ;)
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Got 9 xbox's from a friend yes 9. 5 were complete trash ( water damage ) but the other 4 were fine till I opened them up. 2 were filled with roach's no not marijuana roach's fucking bugs eww! After blowing out the 2 roach hotels I ripped the ram out of them and in the trash they go that left me with 2 completely fine and bug free xbox's one is a 1.6a that I'm saving for parts and the other is a 1.4 winbond. I once again TSOP flashed the 1.4 with IND-BIOS and put in a 250GB SATA HDD with adapter and 80-pin IDE cable made XBMC my main dashboard and today I soldered in extra ram. Worked on the first power up XBMC is showing 97/128MB RAM free nice!

I'll put some N64 games on it tonight and try it out. After I was done I completely forgot about the TX 2.6 CE I acquired a few weeks ago that I wanted to get working. I had to wait for the header pins to get here since the old one didn't like getting de-soldered maybe I will install it in the 1.4 when I feel like opening it up again.

@Emu-kidid I'm guessing you haven't received my package I sent you yet. Hope it gets there soon I hate sending and receiving stuff from australia ( No offense ) it takes forever. They must take the scenic route
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:45 pm

I haven't yet, I'll let you know when I do - nice work on that RAM though :)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:08 am

I put a 1.5TB SATA HDD in this the other day, I used some $2 SATA to IDE adapter off eBay and at first I thought it was faulty, but it turns out it needs a 80-wire ATA cable to function properly. Without the 80-wire cable, the HDD was detected, you could lock it too, but larger data transfers like writing a partition table failed (and Evox/etc are too dumb to check if writes were a success). I can even lock the HDD as well which is nice.

I'm just using a WD Green that was given to me for free with about 20,000 hours on the clock (SMART status was good too) if anyone is wondering. Start-up is a little slower but ind-bios seems to handle that case nicely and transfer rates over FTP are as fast as I'd get with any old 7200RPM disk.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:31 am

emu_kidid wrote:I put a 1.5TB SATA HDD in this the other day, I used some $2 SATA to IDE adapter off eBay and at first I thought it was faulty, but it turns out it needs a 80-wire ATA cable to function properly. Without the 80-wire cable, the HDD was detected, you could lock it too, but larger data transfers like writing a partition table failed (and Evox/etc are too dumb to check if writes were a success). I can even lock the HDD as well which is nice.

I'm just using a WD Green that was given to me for free with about 20,000 hours on the clock (SMART status was good too) if anyone is wondering. Start-up is a little slower but ind-bios seems to handle that case nicely and transfer rates over FTP are as fast as I'd get with any old 7200RPM disk.
Cool i have a 2tb sata but i really dont need all that space on my xbox. Right now I'm using a WD 320gb IDE drive f only with a 80-pin cable. Speeds are very good and i can play a lot if not all the n64 games at almost full speed. Of course i had to do the ram mod to get that compatibility but it was worth it.

The 1.4 is having problems accessing the extra ram sometimes it will go checkerboard and freeze then i have to shut it off then it blinks red/orange. I think the one or more of the ram chips are bad I havent looked into it though
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:35 am

That new modchip from some guy on assembler (or at least the BIOS from it) will be able to detect any soldering faults on the chips and tell you which chip is bad, do you know if it's been released yet?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:52 am

emu_kidid wrote:That new modchip from some guy on assembler (or at least the BIOS from it) will be able to detect any soldering faults on the chips and tell you which chip is bad, do you know if it's been released yet?
I didn't even know of such a thing. I think you told me of something called blastOS I could never find it. Support is kind of spotty with the old box i pulled this ram from a 1.6a its still samsung ram though so i didnt think anything of it. I will work but if you try to use that extra ram the xbox will go crazy. Xbmc does see it in system info
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:34 am

It looks like the bios can be run as an XBE straight from a dashboard: https://assemblergames.com/l/threads/re ... eta.56457/

I'll try it out tonight.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:22 am

emu_kidid wrote:It looks like the bios can be run as an XBE straight from a dashboard: https://assemblergames.com/l/threads/re ... eta.56457/

I'll try it out tonight.
Nice thank you I just downloaded it. If I have time tomorrow I'll give it a try.
Benni

Re: RE: Re: Greetings from Xbox Linux

Post by Benni » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:40 am

emu_kidid wrote:I put a 1.5TB SATA HDD in this the other day, I used some $2 SATA to IDE adapter off eBay and at first I thought it was faulty, but it turns out it needs a 80-wire ATA cable to function properly. Without the 80-wire cable, the HDD was detected, you could lock it too, but larger data transfers like writing a partition table failed (and Evox/etc are too dumb to check if writes were a success). I can even lock the HDD as well which is nice.

The lack come from the ide2sata adapter.
Look for one wirh marvell chipset (wirh the m on it). It will boot within 30 sec onds. I gues now it is 1 minute...
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:41 am

It boots in 20 seconds or less, I'm just used to instant.
Benni

Post by Benni » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:32 am

But this is o.k ...
Then i think this is because of the hdd size...

I tested a lots of ide2sata adapters a long time ago, and the marvell ones where the fastest. All others need 1 min to boot xbmc.