Access the Gameboy Player?

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
BigRobotBil

Access the Gameboy Player?

Post by BigRobotBil » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:26 pm

I was curious to know if it's possible for the Gamecube to access the Gameboy Player via homebrew. I know that the Gamecube needs some kind of hook (the GBP disc) to access it itself, but is it possible to do it via a homebrew program? I did five-minute searching to see if libogc has methods for accessing the GBP, but nothing really came up (then again, I didn't really know what to look for either).

If it is possible, I'd like to give writing an application to do it a try, as it'd be great to use the Gamecube as a Gameboy cart dumper/flasher.

EDIT: After remembering stuff, like this topic, I'm willing to guess that this isn't actually possible. Is it true that the Gamecube doesn't actually have any sort of access to the game itself, and just acts as a video pass-through?
iggunr

Re: Access the Gameboy Player?

Post by iggunr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm

The gbp has a gba procesor inside, so yes, it may be acting as a video pass thru only.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 am

there is what appears to be a translator IC in the GBP....
i think it is used to convert all video, audio, and controls data between the GC and GBP....
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
BigRobotBil

Post by BigRobotBil » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:13 am

So, all that's really going on is that there's a middle-man between the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance that basically translates everything between them?

If that's the case, well, that's a shame.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:19 am

maybe i should say the IC appears more like a communications interface between the two hardwares and the boot disc is required to set the GC into a state to allow communications, process the data, display the video, output the audio, communicating to another GB handheld in the controller slot, performing all the controller functions, upscaling the video output to progressive, digital audio output as well....

what part of the GC would handle all those functions? the entire gamecube...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:38 am

It (the IC) standardizes the GBA into a DDR memory interface addressible device to sit on top of the ARAM bus. So yeah you're right, but the gb player disc software would be pumping video frames off the memory interface.

Most of this is speculation of course
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:45 am

It (the IC) standardizes the GBA into a DDR memory interface addressible device to sit on top of the ARAM bus. So yeah you're right, but the gb player disc software would be pumping video frames off the memory interface.

Most of this is speculation of course