SD media launcher

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
jepzzer

SD media launcher

Post by jepzzer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Hey guys
I have just got my Gamecube SD media launcher box from amazone.co.uk
then i open my SD media launcher box i se, my dish is a "action replay dish" and not a SD media launcher dish
is that an fail or can i use my action replay disc to lode my homebrew games ?
novenary

Re: SD media launcher

Post by novenary » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:19 pm

It depends on the version of the AR. If it has the possibility to input codes by hand, then there's a code set that can help you.
jepzzer

Post by jepzzer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 pm

how can i se what version i have,

but i think i have the new one, cause i just got the sd media launcer box today.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:27 pm

I mean, can you manually enter codes or are you limited to the built in database ? In the first case you win, in the second case then your best bet is to have it changed for a proper sdml disc.
jepzzer

Post by jepzzer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:35 pm

when i launch my action replay disc i can only chose "free loader " or a lot of games :S

so i cant use my disc :S
TerryG

Post by TerryG » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:38 pm

My NTSC one I got a few weeks ago came the same way, and will boot to the freeloader/code screen unless an sd card is inserted. Did you try putting something on an sd card, inserting it into your cube, then powering the system on?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Use a 2GB or smaller SD card and make sure it's plugged in on startup. If you're still having issues, search around the forums for a fix which requires a bit of tape to be placed under the PCB inside the SD Adapter.
torturelabs

Post by torturelabs » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 am

ar should work in conjunction with an sdml card

although you did mention you ordered it from amazon.uk and not C.Junkies, so who may have been ripped off.
they may have sent you a non-compatible version of AR, only older versions of AR work with the SDML card

does the sdml menu appear when you boot up?
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:51 pm

I've had many comments on my YT channel about this. I wasn't aware until others mentioned it and found the issue. You must insert the SDML sd card adapter first before starting the disc in order for the sd menu to pop up. It doesn't accept high capacity cards upon startup either. You can switch to one within Swiss but not at startup of SDML.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2340
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:37 pm

I think you can press Start to get the SD menu to appear in SDML if you insert the adapter+card after boot.
torturelabs

Post by torturelabs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:02 am

jlo138 wrote:I've had many comments on my YT channel about this. I wasn't aware until others mentioned it and found the issue. You must insert the SDML sd card adapter first before starting the disc in order for the sd menu to pop up. It doesn't accept high capacity cards upon startup either. You can switch to one within Swiss but not at startup of SDML.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2340
That's the thing though.
There are issues when loading from an 'AR disk', and sometimes the method mentioned on that page (insert __ first) doesn't work with newer AR disks.

If it was 'directly from Datel' there would be no issue.
You would simply have to pop in the disk insert the adapter and go.
Datel had some SDML disks that had AR as the loader.
Aesthetically the SDML boot logo looks more appealing in my opinion.
That was the only difference in appearance and usability.

These are two separate issues:
User 1 - bought from seller/vendor on Amazon, not Datel
User 2 - bought directly from Datel

Now, since this user bought it from a seller online and not Datel one would have to assume it was an actual AR disk from this:
my dish is a "action replay dish" and not a SD media launcher dish
i.e. Not from that stock codejunkies had a while back with AR loader with an SDML LOGO printed on the disk.

The fact that SDHC weren't working for 'guy 2' is a SD card compatibility issue not an issue with the hardware/software itself.
I have both versions and both accept SDHC... although to my point, they Were picky about what brand/size they accepted.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:25 am

no one else other than Datel makes these discs....
and if someone else had the ability to make em, the could at least update the old shitty code to support SDHC...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
torturelabs

Post by torturelabs » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 am

megalomaniac wrote:no one else other than Datel makes these discs....
and if someone else had the ability to make em, the could at least update the old shitty code to support SDHC...
There are many sellers out there that bundle SDML adapters with AR disks at a really low cost;
http://www.beyond-cheating.de/pix/old_gcn_ar3.jpg
http://www.ostermann-gmbh.at/images/ps2 ... lay_cd.jpg

They sell them because they either did not work or they had a hard time getting it to work.
AR disks and SDML adapters do work together though.

Codejunkies doesn't sell on Amazon ^ OP bought from Amazon

Why the original buyer did not spend the extra $ to buy the product from CJ is beyond me.
It's usually because of location/shipment though, going through a middleman is a pain in the ass.

As stated, these are two separate issues.

I do agree though, all SDHC/miniSD should work with the SDML, that would be awesome.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 am

i think you may have missed the point...

doesnt matter if buying from codejunkies or amazon or ebay or anywhere else...
all discs come from codejunkies because no one else makes these type of bootable discs for GC...

the only thing that needs to be known is the AR disc version and if the SD adapter is actually making contact with the pins in the memcard slot since their adapters are known to be junk....
if the adapter does not make proper contact in the memcard slot, then it not display any options and just assume freeloader
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
torturelabs

Post by torturelabs » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:37 am

megalomaniac wrote:i think you may have missed the point...

doesnt matter if buying from codejunkies or amazon or ebay or anywhere else...
all discs come from codejunkies because no one else makes these type of bootable discs for GC...
I know that, needed to know version etc.
OP isn't responding anyways, so without further info he can't be helped.
the only thing that needs to be known is the AR disc version and if the SD adapter is actually making contact with the pins in the memcard slot since their adapters are known to be junk....
if the adapter does not make proper contact in the memcard slot, then it not display any options and just assume freeloader
That's what I was trying to get at.
Newer AR's ones rarely work or require extra step to workaround some 'issues'.
OSDU freeloaders

side-note;
Their first batch of adapters where pretty great quality wise, everything was glued/adjusted on perfect.
Then they got more popular I'm told (via codejunkies e-mail) and they began to mass produce them with slightly inferior plastic and variant disks and printed logo positions.
(upside-down logo, AR disk as loader with SDML printed on disk, the split in-between the adapter would come loose)
I personally think they are great for beginners and/or people who rather not solder or do anything extra to the cube.
Mainly, I like how the home menu (gui) looks on the SDML when booted up... I'm weird that way.

I can tell you're not a big fan of them regardless.
Do you like wiikey adp. better? What's better about them, emkid seems to like em more?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:48 pm

torturelabs wrote: side-note;
Their first batch of adapters where pretty great quality wise, everything was glued/adjusted on perfect.
Then they got more popular I'm told (via codejunkies e-mail) and they began to mass produce them with slightly inferior plastic and variant disks and printed logo positions.
(upside-down logo, AR disk as loader with SDML printed on disk, the split in-between the adapter would come loose)
I personally think they are great for beginners and/or people who rather not solder or do anything extra to the cube.
Mainly, I like how the home menu (gui) looks on the SDML when booted up... I'm weird that way.

Do you like wiikey adp. better? What's better about them, emkid seems to like em more?
Do you work for Datel/CodeJunkies?
torturelabs

Post by torturelabs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:00 am

emu_kidid wrote:
torturelabs wrote: side-note;

Do you work for Datel/CodeJunkies?
It would seems so from reading that hu? haha
Sounds like I'm praising them a little / sales-pitch :p

No, been buying SDML's for a long time - at least two every six months, since around it's initial release.
(held out on giving friends a 'cube with an SDML' since hombrew was scarce back then - that, or I was terrible at google-ing)

· --> bought

·Bought my first ones and an year later ·bought more...
Only this time, I was disappointed because the 'AR logo' appeared in the menu on these 'new' ones.
The 'adapter' logo on these were also backwards.

Made a complaint and they said it worked just the same (I knew that) but I disliked it.
They wouldn't exchange them for older versions, even though they said they had them.
Quality was a little crappier on these as well.

Months passed and this time, I went to ·buy more... I hoped they had/produced more of the ones I wanted.
Decided to send an e-mail stating my 'issue' beforehand.
There should be some e-mails, with the lady asking why I needed to speak with 'production' is the word she used, I believe.
She also gave me info on why she couldn't just transfer me based on quality/boot-screen alone.
Screw it, placed the order...

Around that time, production was halted due to large requests from the UK;
Updates on my order stayed on [Processing...] for the longest time.
I received a 'refund' that said production in Canada or the UK, not sure which, were going to produce 'allot' more soon for the US branch.
They said they were having trouble producing for the UK branch and unfortunately, I was screwed over so some UK guy could get my item instead I guess - lol

After weeks of waiting they say they are once again in stock!!
This time, they did transfer me because I told them I waited too long for them to get back in stock and to not let me speak to them about some minor problem I was having, was messed up.
I asked the guy in charge of shipping/distribution via customer service to put some aside for me.
More specifically those that were printed on a specific date.
He said no at first, but then reluctantly agreed to find out for me.
After some back and forth we both somewhat figured out what lot had the "bad disks" - 'AR loader with an SDML logo' printed on its disks.
He said he didn't have any "older" ones to send me.

CodeJunkies wanted to get rid of the AR ones FIRST apparently, which was the version he was suppose to send me.
He sent me the newer batch instead of the AR ones they still had in stock.
Although, he said he wasn't 100 percent sure if they were what I wanted.
I bought a big batch (75) and crossed my fingers... yay, they were all the version I wanted.

This time, quality was still crappy - same as before, but hey at least they got it basically right, right? haha

Yes emu_kidid you're correct, quality is somewhat inferior to what it used to be.
That said, I think if you're going to have an SD card attached to the SDML like 90% of the time you shouldn't worry about it falling apart that much.
The one I'm using now splits in half at times when I insert the SD, but continues to work perfectly after three years.

If I find the e-mails I'll post them, they're under an old account that I used to use back in 2009-11.

In all honest I really would like to know what are the advantages of the WiiKey SD
I would assume you would still need an alternative boot method.

Say; viper + wiikey sd? no disk?

Yes, I realize they are cheap, but wouldn't the cost be nearly the same?
modchip 14.00
wiikey sd 3.00
shipping XX.XX

Furthermore, backups can be read via GCoS on the SDML
They only downside I would say the SDML has is that it's a picky fek when it comes down to SD/SDHC

I've always wanted to know if loading an SDML.dol or SDML.iso possible via modchip/wiikeySD.
If so, that would be kinda neat.

I realize I'm kinda high-jacking this thread, but OP doesn't seem to be active anymore, thinking he gave up.
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:07 am

if your gonna do it you may aswell do it right lol

theclaw

Post by theclaw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:22 am

Has the Japanese one been dumped?

http://lbp.jugem.jp/?eid=36
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 am

as long as your gamecube can run the disc any version will work with the sd media launcher sd adapter
jorge_nb

Post by jorge_nb » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:03 pm

(sorry to reopen but I think it's important)

In my case my Sd media launcher from Datel arrived broken,it can't be fixed at all, it just doesn't work and I want to say it just in case any of you are still thinking on buying it.

The disc can't be read, neither by my gamecube or my wii, I have compatible sd and microsd cards but they're useless as the disc arrived broken and I can't give it back because Datel isn't answering any of my emails and I bought it more than 7 days ago (I've spent the last 10 days watching all type of forums and tutorials)

Whenever I put the AR disc on the wii it will say "The disc can't be read" and on the gamecube "this isn't a GC disc".

So if you are thinking on buying it think again as maybe you don't want to spend 20 £ (from the codejunkies website + mail taxes) taking the risk that it might be useless at all like the one I got.
capzlk

Post by capzlk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:49 pm

jorge_nb wrote:(sorry to reopen but I think it's important)

In my case my Sd media launcher from Datel arrived broken,it can't be fixed at all, it just doesn't work and I want to say it just in case any of you are still thinking on buying it.

The disc can't be read, neither by my gamecube or my wii, I have compatible sd and microsd cards but they're useless as the disc arrived broken and I can't give it back because Datel isn't answering any of my emails and I bought it more than 7 days ago (I've spent the last 10 days watching all type of forums and tutorials)

Whenever I put the AR disc on the wii it will say "The disc can't be read" and on the gamecube "this isn't a GC disc".

So if you are thinking on buying it think again as maybe you don't want to spend 20 £ (from the codejunkies website + mail taxes) taking the risk that it might be useless at all like the one I got.
is the disc for your region..? it's not region-free (which is retarded, i know). Also not to sound like a parent, but you should always check if things work upon arrival and email the seller immediately if it is DOA. Regardless, if you're in the UK, then you should be able to phone them. emails get overlooked/end up in spam easily.

Datel's quality control is non-existant but their products work.. at least for a while (I went through 1 freeloader and 2 action replay disks back when the cube was current-gen)

my month-old SDML works fine though. tho my xenogc cube doesnt seem to like it much
jorge_nb

Post by jorge_nb » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:13 pm

capzlk wrote:
jorge_nb wrote:(sorry to reopen but I think it's important)

is the disc for your region..? it's not region-free (which is retarded, i know). Also not to sound like a parent, but you should always check if things work upon arrival and email the seller immediately if it is DOA. Regardless, if you're in the UK, then you should be able to phone them. emails get overlooked/end up in spam easily.

Datel's quality control is non-existant but their products work.. at least for a while (I went through 1 freeloader and 2 action replay disks back when the cube was current-gen)

my month-old SDML works fine though. tho my xenogc cube doesnt seem to like it much

First, thanks for answering so fast

Second: yeah, this one is "For use on european consoles" and mine is PAL, bought in Spain (where I am from) so the region shouldn't be a problem.

Third: I read again the terms and they say you have 7 days to return it like if you suddently don't want it, but for technical issues you have a 12 month warranty and you can send items back so they check if they're alright (I'm thinking on doing this). For returning it I need a specific code that their website should give you but as I registered after I bought the product it isn't linked to my account and I can't get it, so by now I'll just keep waiting some days more hoping they answer some of my emails

Phoning them is not an option as I'm from Spain and that would be quite a high amount of money :/
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:40 am

If you have Smash Bros, you could give this a try.
jorge_nb

Post by jorge_nb » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:47 am

meneerbeer wrote:If you have Smash Bros, you could give this a try.
I don't have it, and that looks like a way to play homebrew on the wii, what I'm really interested on right now is playing homebrew on my GC not on my wii but thanks for the help