Editing ISO's?

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
greenmagic469

Editing ISO's?

Post by greenmagic469 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Hey guys,

So I got to thinking today. Let's say I have a game, for example, Mario Kart. Would it be possibly for me to download an ISO for the game, modify the code and textures (such as changing the color of a pickup item or something along those lines, etc), then re-save that same ISO, and either burn it to a disc or boot it on the console using a mod/peripheral?

Basically, what I'm getting at is, what's the easiest way to modify a game and make it playable on the GameCube? I'm not highly proficient in the process but I know enough code that I could probably fudge around a bit for fun. It would simply be cool changing something in a game I enjoy playing and having it run on the same system the original version ran on. Is this plausible, or is it too involved to be worth it?
suloku

Re: Editing ISO's?

Post by suloku » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm pretty sure talk about iso downloading isn't allowed here (I guess it might not be illegal if it is the only way you have to get a backup copy of your legitimately owned game disc, but that's offtopic).

For extracting and rebuilding a gamecube iso you can is GC iso tool: http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html

Modifying textures should be easy, but nintendo tends to pack their files in propietary formats (think of it like rar files), and the gamecube uses their own image format (don't expect png or bmp). There are plenty of tools out there for unpacking and repacking these files, also tools for image conversion, so making a mod that changes colors and such might be pretty easy.

Changing the code is possible too, but can't help you with that. You might want to take a look at riivolution (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Riivolution) even if it's for the wii. Wii and GC games don't differ that much, so many modding tools developed for riivolution mods probably will work on gc games.