Question about NTSC AR and a memory card on Wii

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
BlueGel

Question about NTSC AR and a memory card on Wii

Post by BlueGel » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Please bear with me, as I think this ask requires a little backstory.

I used to have an Action Replay for my Gamecube, around 2004. I appear to have lost the v1.09 disc (and over half of my games library) during a cross-country move but I do still have the AR memory card. I recently got a softmodded Wii (4.1) in a craigslist trade, without an SD card. I've done some reading to understand what can be done, though I don't seem to have the success others have with loading codes from USB (Gecko, Ocarina, and whatnot). I'm either messing something up, or needed this guy's SD card. Or both, I dunno. I do have an idea for a back-up plan though. If I download and burn the ISO linked below or use the Action Replay Channel, would I be able to use codes I found online ages ago saved on the memory card using either burned discs or the legit discs I still have? Is there a way to update the games/codes list to include other games that weren't on the original disc (like P.N. 03) or would that be on the disc/ISO? I just want to do what's easiest and introduce my kids to these games I used to play with some of the fun things like moon jumps or big head mode.

Are there other options using what I already have that I haven't discovered? Sorry if this seems ignorant, but I am. I simply don't know what I don't know. I've tried searching for an instance like this, but nothing's turned up. I've followed various guides to load codes from USB, and none of them have worked either, so if I can burn to disc to makes things work with the memory card, I'm okay with that.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/gam ... -114c-usa/
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Question about NTSC AR and a memory card on Wii

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:49 pm

There's generally better ways by now to boot GameCube/Wii games with cheats enabled. Action Replay was blocked from booting on the Wii menu mostly, but there are ways around that if you're really keen to relive those days (and still have original discs to boot all your GameCube games from).

These are probably outdated too, but Gecko OS, USB Loader GX and Nintendont will generally suffice for cheats. With all of those I'm fairly sure you can enable cheats by having a .txt file on the SD card with the same filename as the internal GameID.

If your cheats were in Action Replay format, there are tools to convert these, or you can browse the cheats that Ralf makes here in the Game Hacking sub forum.
BlueGel

Post by BlueGel » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Okay, I haven't tried GeckoOS yet, so I'll see if I can manage that one to work. In Nintendont, my biggest problem is, while I can load cheats, the game freezes. For example, if I enable Moon Jump in MegaMan Network Transmission, as soon as I jump, it'll freeze, likewise with spending Rupees with Infinite Money in OoT: Master Quest.

I'll report back on Gecko. If this fails, would burning the AR ISO and one of the many loaders work with both burned and legit games in System 4.1? Would my old non-official saved codes be able to be read from the memory card in this way or is there a way to export them to the SD so they can be converted into a different format?
BlueGel

Post by BlueGel » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:10 pm

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've followed the guides I've found, and I still run into the issue of the console freezing when trying to execute an action affected by codes (jumping with moon jumps or buying something with max money).

I might turn my attention over to modding the gamecube to play burned discs. I'm aware of a few methods (Xeno chip, SD media launcher, using a modem to play isos from PC). Is there a method that's considered the go-to in the modding community? Especially for what I'm after?
BlueGel

Post by BlueGel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:25 am

What I settled on was SD Media Launcher and a good 32GB card and abandoning the Wii. It won't fit quite everything I lost during my last move, but it'll do. All the components arrived today, and so far it's working well. I can't use my old dongle, at least not as far as I can tell, but I'll just try harder to find the old codes people posted in the early naughties to convert them to WiiRD. Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate the time.