Debugging homebrew in 2020

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
capzlk

Debugging homebrew in 2020

Post by capzlk » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:37 am

I've been doing some development for my little cube again lately, but i'm running more and more into the fact that i need to do debugging to be able to progress.
In my PSO AR code making days back in ~2005 i used to use GCNRD over the BBA and was able to step through code with it. Now i've noticed swiss has WiiRD support. Does this work in a similar fashion? I couldn't find much info on how to use it with the gamecube. I've also seen some mentions of using gdb but somehow information is sparse.

What kind of set up are people using to debug homebrew these days? Surely there are more efficient ways to achieve this these days? USBGecko probably but those aren't for sale anymore, so where should new development start?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Debugging homebrew in 2020

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:24 pm

When I need that kind of debugging I use a USB Gecko and gdb (load the elf to have symbols obviously). There's a stub for the BBA too I believe but I've never used that myself. It works fine albeit slowly and there's no support for memory breakpoints afaik. It's pretty crude and IDE integration would be much nicer instead (I'm sure there's generic platform agnostic IDE's with gdb support out there).

Mostly these days I just run my elf through gdb and assess stack traces with it.