Colors are all wrong with GBI

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
tui_du

Colors are all wrong with GBI

Post by tui_du » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi
I'm using GBI and the colors are terrible. I've got bright orange instead of red, white instead of yellow etc. This makes the overall images very hard to read. I've tried Standard, HF, and Speedrunner, and changed all the settings, but the problem remains. Can anyone help me?
Papy.G

Re: Colors are all wrong with GBI

Post by Papy.G » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Are you sure about the settings matching what you have console side/TV side, isn't it just that your TV sucks, or maybe you're using a bad Composite cable, who knows…

I know that GBI standard defaults settings give me washed out coulours while never at the point it was unplayable on my TV on any of the ways to connect the console to (RF/Composite/RGB/HDMI, yes, I tested all those!).

First, make sure what the console sends to the TV matches what the TV expects to receive, there are settings with RGB possible coulour range when using an RGB cable, for example, you can check it with the Twilight Princess brightness test screen, where the four gray areas must be distinguishable one from another.

Tell us more about what you use as a video cable, what do you use as a display, what are its possible settings…
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
tui_du

Post by tui_du » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the standard Nintendo composite cable. That is all I have at the moment. I have a PAL LCD TV, XENO Modded Game Cube, I'm booting up with Swiss. I've literally tried every combination of settings in GBI Standard, HF, and Super Runner, (and all the possible settings on my TV) but nothing changes the color problem. The colors look quite a lot like your profile picture. But my normal Game Cube picture is fine, pre-swiss.
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:44 pm

in fact, even if I don't have a Game Boy Player, using GBI can affect my video game's memory dump. My gamecube now, after a GBI dump, in the Swiss version 927, has its IPL modified as follows: when leaving it in GCVIDEO, my IPL appears PAL, so that the colors are weaker, and inverted: green of Link in Wind Waker, turns blue.
the bios is modified in some way.
if I force AVE-N-DOL, without IPL, everything is normal at 60htz.
but if I activate the IPL <, it will cause the video game to enter so that the IPL turns purple instead of blue.
and the colors are reversed or black and white.
I think the nintendo gamecube is still a mystery even for the best coders.
SWISS USER :geek:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:10 am

Tui_du>
Here's what in my .cli file for the standard GBI:

Code: Select all

--aspect=3:2
--offset=-2:4
--zoom=3:3
--no-overlay
--filter=none
--dither=none
--matrix=identity
--input-gamma=1.
--output-gamma=1.
--contrast=.78125
--format=pal-60
--no-osd
--
Coulour settings are set by the four lines from matrix to contrast and that's what you'll have to check and finetune.
There's more about it on the GC-forever Wiki, where you'll learn more about all the possible settings.

Diego>
Maybe your GC has qwirks, there are so many things involved that can get wrong when we set up a console to do those things it wasn't supposed to do… ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)