Any tool to check gamecube discs?

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
albertocastillo2001

Any tool to check gamecube discs?

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Hello

I would like to know if is there a way to check Gamecube discs for errors
Is there any homebrew tool that can check discs sector by sector?

I've tried to do this on the PC by using Nero DiscSpeed, but I am not sure if this method is accurate.

Thank you.
AC_Orange

Re: Any tool to check gamecube discs?

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 am

i thought about this today and even if there was a program that would do it you are only testing it that it's readable on a pc dvd drive, the gc drive is the one that's picky when it comes to media.
maybe one way to test it, is to actually try and dump the backup game disc using emu_kidid's clean rip.
if you get a message disc verified (provided it's in the redump database) your disc is a 1:1 copy
albertocastillo2001

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks for your reply

Yes, it's obvious better to check it using the GameCube drive but I never found any homebrew for it. I remember reading an article by emu kid somewhere years ago, maybe the old tehskeen page where he mentioned Nero DiscSpeed (or a similar one) to check the "readability" of the disc by checking some PI errors if I don't remember wrong. However I cannot find that article anymore.

Is there already a pack with those tools available ready to get burnt and where can I get them?

Thank you.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:02 pm

no worries. i tested one of my backup gc discs today using clean rip and it verified successfully. if you don't have the wii you could use gc iso ripping server (bba required) and dump the game using the gc drive, that would probably be the best way to test the media.
not really sure if the 'iso to sd card' dumpers produce good dumps, never used them.
anyone else have any suggestions?
albertocastillo2001

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I have the Wii, and use the WODE to backup my games, but I would prffer to use the GameCube instead to check the backups to ensure they have no DREs

By the way, any pack with utilities for the GameCube such an old BIOS pack tool I found somewhere years ago?

Thank you.