WiiKey (NOT Fusion) in a GameCube, Is it possible?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Khouri86

WiiKey (NOT Fusion) in a GameCube, Is it possible?

Post by Khouri86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 am

Hello Experts,

I happened to become the owner of a couple Original WiiKeys because they were purchased for a D2C Wii and are not compatible. I've been trying to find people that could use them and as it turns out, nobody I know has a Wii that is compatible. I was taking a look at XenoGC, and at first glance, it looks fairly similar to a XenoGC with the exception of different located solder points.

I happened to come across this Image

Am I reading this right? Is this diagram accurate? If so, how could I re-program my WiiKey with XenoGC, or is it even necessary to be reprogrammed? If possible, and there is a DIY way of reprogramming it, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I take instruction well and know how to do research. I'm really hoping there is a way. This WiiKey only costed me 1$ and I'd love it if it could mod the GameCube. Have been bored for a while and need a project while I wait for people to order some D2Ckeys :P
Joeyjoe9876

Re: WiiKey (NOT Fusion) in a GameCube, Is it possible?

Post by Joeyjoe9876 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:54 am

I'm pretty sure there might be some guys on the forum that have reprogrammed theirs into an Xeno, as for how to do it, I'm sorry but I can't help you out too much with that.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 am

check the wiki on how to make a cloned XenoGC http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... noGC_Clone

it features a programmer page. Unless if they've set write protect on the Wiikey, you should be OK to reprogram it with the xenoGC hex.
Joeyjoe9876

Post by Joeyjoe9876 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:17 am

hey emu, not to derail the thread. but are you familiar with the Teensy 2.0? It has a ATMEGA32U4 on it, so I'm guessing it would need some changes with the code, but from what I can tell it would be perfectly suitable to be able to run an Xeno, correct?
Khouri86

Post by Khouri86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 am

Thank you all for the quick replies :). And Emu, saw some of your work as I was surfing the forums. "Impressed" would be a fraction of how I feel :P
Khouri86

Post by Khouri86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:43 am

From my knowledge, or lack of, after reading the Clone XenoGC wiki, it seems the Parallel programmer is the easiest to build, and now that I know what I'm looking at, the diagram has that in it. Found the image on a site that was completely Spanish and couldn't tell what it was saying :P
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 am

the atmega chip used for wiikey is the exact same used for xeno
even the pinout on the WK can be used in the same fashion as the xeno...

its virtually identical....just a different PCB design...

if you want to flash the WK to xeno...you will need to put the chip into program mode and connect it to a PC with a serial, parallel, or usb programmer with avrdude to write the xeno firmware

to put the chip in program mode, pin one needs to be connected to GND (if i remember correctly...ive been drinking so double check my statements against this thread http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... noGC_Clone )
dont worry, i wrote that page when i was mostly sober so the information is accurate...

also, supply the chip with 3.3v if not already supplied by your programmer and connect the appropriate leads to SCK,Mosi,Miso, RST, GND connections on your programmer cable....

flash the firmware using these commands: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... g_Software
and your ready to go...unless your in windows and need to modify the command line path...
then your ready to go...

initial firmware must be written using a PC and avrdude or ponyprog....
but use avrdude as your best method of choice

if you have a qoob already connected to your GC, it might be possible to flash a WK to xeno based on a few ideas ive been thinking about recently but havnt tested...if your game let me know...

else, use your PC to write the xeno firmware....connect to GC and play some games and load some homebrew...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:51 am

i dont know about any teensy...

but if it has an atmega32, then you can modify it also to run xeno code...
since i havnt seen one i will make the following assumption...

you may have to use alternate connection points on the chip if they are not already present on the board.......

other than, the only thing left remaining is to port the xeno code to run on atmega32...
this is a very simple task...however the atmega32 doesnt offer enough internal flash space for extra goodies so it will still be limited to the same abilities of an atmega8 xeno...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Khouri86

Post by Khouri86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:54 am

megalomaniac wrote: if you have a qoob already connected to your GC, it might be possible to flash a WK to xeno based on a few ideas ive been thinking about recently but havnt tested...if your game let me know...
Thank you for the reply megalomaniac, and please excuse my ignorance, but what is a qoob? and since I'm asking, the answer is probably 'no'. I'll have to wait until payday before I can pick up what I need to try and build a programmer, and seem to have misplaced my GC Screwdriver :(, may need to order another one of those as well.
Khouri86

Post by Khouri86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:00 am

Googled and found it, and no, the GameCube I am referring to would be considered a 'virgin' GC, It hasn't even been opened yet.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:05 am

ok..then build your simple parallel programmer and flash the code with your PC
(assuming you have a parallel connection on your PC)

ask any questions about building the programmer and testing...
keep in mind, if using a parallel programmer, you will need to supply the chip with 3.3v...
the parallel programmer wont do that if i remember correctly...
but this can be accomplished with some AA batteries...
ask when the time comes...

as for the qoob, dont worry about it...i like to break stuff to see if things work....

Image Image Image
Joeyjoe9876

Post by Joeyjoe9876 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:33 am

That's the teensy board. has all the I/O ports so It could be easily customizable, plus it can be easily programmed by USB. got mine for $22 shipped, not too bad. It's also got a spot on the back to put a 3.3v reg if you ever wanted to run it off 3.3v. I'm using this one to make a SNES USB controller, but if I ever get the chance I'd love to mess around with this and try to make an Xeno sometime.
Khouri86

Post by Khouri86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:46 am

I have a PC running Windows 7 x64 with a serial port, and a Ubuntu 12.04 Server with a serial and parallel port. Might just build the Serial, or maybe both. Wont be able to pick up what I need for another week or so, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind. Thanks again for the quick replies, was bummed out when I found the Wii was D2C and didn't support the WiiKey. Was trying to fix a Banner Brick on a softmod with no BootMii installed to boot2, needed a controller for SaveMiiFrii, found some guy selling a GameCube, Memory Card, Wired Nintendo brand controller and a Wavebird, all for 30$, couldn't pass up a deal like that. And now, knowing that my WiiKeys can be reprogrammed and used on the GC, I can't wait to get this project rolling :D
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:50 am

use your linux pc...
kill that windows stuff :)

Image Image Image
Khouri86

Post by Khouri86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:57 am

The Windows box is there for the girlfriend, apparently using Wine to run her games was too complicated :P. I do a lot of my 'computing' from my BlackBerry by SSH'ing into the Linux box. That and browsers GUI's I have in place. She see's what I do as tedious and unnecessary. I see it as fun, and showing her what I wanted to try to do with the WiiKey's and the GameCube, she just sighed, shook her head, and walked away. Said she was tired of hearing "solder this" and "program that" :P
SouLSLayeR

Post by SouLSLayeR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:33 am

Dunno about the rest of you, but that parallel programmer didn't work for me.
Maybe something related to x64 windows/parallel port drivers and/or avrdude?
(ye I know, it's windows :D)

I ended up buying a usb programmer called USBasp from eBay.
More info and progs here http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/.
For ~3$ it's worth it imo.
It's ironic that you need an AVR programmer to build the AVR programmer you need -.-

You probably could program that teensy board to act like a programmer too, a nice project now that I think about it.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 pm

SouLSLayeR wrote:Dunno about the rest of you, but that parallel programmer didn't work for me.
Maybe something related to x64 windows/parallel port drivers and/or avrdude?
(ye I know, it's windows :D)

I ended up buying a usb programmer called USBasp from eBay.
More info and progs here http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/.
For ~3$ it's worth it imo.
SS, just an FYI

as seen in the Xeno Clone wiki, i've built homemade serial, parallel, and USB programmers with successful read/write results for xeno firmware flashing in both linux and windows...

however, these tests were only performed in 32bit distros...
do you have the ability to double check your parallel programmer functionality under a 32bit distro to confirm possible x64 incompatibility???

considering the cost vs hassle, yes it is worth it...

SouLSLayeR wrote: It's ironic that you need an AVR programmer to build the AVR programmer you need -.-

You probably could program that teensy board to act like a programmer too, a nice project now that I think about it.
agree, to build your own USB programmer is a double edge sword since the IC controller needs to have firmware flashed on it...

the teensy board could work if the usbtiny source is ported over for atmega32U...but most of the code is USB functions which are already included in the U version of atmegas...
that IC would better serve another purpose than to downgrade and limit its abilities as a a simple USB programmer...

especially considering how cheap USB programmers can be had, the teensy is better served for other purpose...

Image Image Image
SouLSLayeR

Post by SouLSLayeR » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:04 am

Hmm...it seems to work fine on winXP sp3 x86...
(shoutout to my mom's PIII laptop :D)

But I just remembered that I've loaded some weird h4xx0r parallel port drivers to make my willem board work.
Maybe that's the problem.

Can't be sure though.