Just installed XenoGC, having trouble.

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
radorn

Just installed XenoGC, having trouble.

Post by radorn » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Hello.

I just installed a XenoGC and I'm having some problems.
First the relevant data:

Xeno's START info screen gives me this:

Code: Select all

XenoGC v1.01
PAL Revision 1.0
Drive Version 6
All your Base are belong to us
I get the green light so the installation seems to be correct.
I tried booting a copy and it didn't work so I went to adjust the laser potentiometer, which came set at about ~500ohm, and now is at 184, but I also tried it at about 200, 150, and some others, without aparent differences.
I'm using 12cm Verbatim 16x DVD+R discs. MID: MCC-004-00 (according to ImgBurn). Always burned at the minimum possible speed.

Here are the symptoms I detect
The laser assembly makes lots of worrying noises. It keeps "squeaking" like a mouse, that is, high pitched short "pulses", sometimes quieter sometimes louder. But then, from time to time, the laser carriage is repositioned/reset or something and it bangs violently against one ro both the ends of the rail, more harshly than when you power up or close the lid and the carriage moves to the starting position; it really sounds like its going to break :|.
Normally, when it does that, it also results in some kind of read error, either "fatal", forcing me to reboot, or, in some cases when playing a video, when the playback resumes, video and audio go out of sync.
I also got some read errors even without the "CLACK".

Same games played from the original discs play fine, and they are more scratched than the copies.

So, are all or any of these normal? what can I do to solve this? should I try other media?
wwwyzzerdd

Re: Just installed XenoGC, having trouble.

Post by wwwyzzerdd » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Just figured I would chime in since I went through about the same thing. But I was using cheap discs, so it might not apply to you at all

I originally used some cheap memorex dvd+r discs and I was finally able to get them to read by tweaking the laser resistance down to about 170 ohms any lower and they would't read at all, but even that low the laser would clack and make noises like you say.

So I bought some really cheap nexxtech dvd-r discs and I was actually able to bring the laser resistance back up to about 220 ohms and read them fine. A lot of folks are saying that the nexxtech dvd-r discs constantly have errors while burning, but I haven't run into any yet. I guess if you burn at a slow enough speed it will be fine..
radorn

Re: Just installed XenoGC, having trouble.

Post by radorn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 am

thanks for the reply. It seems like I'm making some progress with the POT in the ~300ohm range. It's not working 100% right yet, though... It's quite tricky...