Help with GameCube Modding

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
AwesomeMarioFan

Help with GameCube Modding

Post by AwesomeMarioFan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:05 am

Hello,

I was attempting to buy and modify a GameCube. I was wanting few things for this:

- Mini DVD-R Discs (For playing game backups)
- XenoGC 2.0 (Same reason, maybe run Linux as well)
- GameCube Console (Probably from ebay?)

I already have the controllers, memory cards, and games which I was using in my Wii. I seen that the XenoGC 2.0 chips were very rare due to them being manufactured from 2006-2009 (After the main XenoGC site went down even), and the 1.0 ones being manufactured during the earlier 2003-2006 (Which probably sold more/better).

I found a site at (http://www.elitasia.com/XenoGC-2.0), which claims to sell a XenoGC 2.0 chip for $5.80. This looks a bit suspicious, as these rare 2.0 chips were being sold for cheaper than the first ones would be. Reading the description, it lists that it supports multi-disk games (In XenoGC version 2.0), but also lists that the LED turns from red to green (XenoGC 1.0?), and not orange, so I was a bit confused.

Also, I've been looking at GCOS too (Which looks like its made by the owner of this forum actually :) ). I would need an SD to GameCube memory card adapter for this correct?

One more thing: The discs that I bought were made by Sony (The mini-DVD ones). They were -R, however when I imaged them with a backup game using ImgBurn at 2x speed (Slowest the drive and disc would support), they would boot the game, run it great, then at random times have trouble loading from the disc and show "Disc Read Error" ...etc. I was wondering if purchasing a GameCube and using the XenoGC chip would solve/help with this issue. Also, is there anything else that you guys would recommend I get for it? I'm sort of new in the GameCube scene so I'm doing some research.
Thanks,
~ AwesomeMarioFan
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Help with GameCube Modding

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:29 am

Xeno GC 2.0 isn't rare at all, if anything, finding a 1.0 might be harder, but neither of which have much value since they are cheap to manufacture and the code is out for them (so you can even make your own if you really wanted to). I'd buy it from eurasia or wherever you can find it, they usually go for about that price.
See: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=XenoGC

The only real difference is that 2.0 supported multi-game disc compilations made by users on DVD-R, however, Swiss or GCoS support this too.

As for using GCoS, I'd recommend against it, it's quite dated, you're better off grabbing the latest Swiss Nightly build and using that. Neither GCoS nor Swiss require a SDGecko (SD to GC memcard port adapter), but it doesn't hurt to grab one for homebrew/etc.
theclaw

Re: Help with GameCube Modding

Post by theclaw » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 am

XenoGC is a very popular basic chip. Doesn't have extra bells and whistles, like forced progressive scan (Swiss offers this) or homebrew storage memory.

The SD adapter I own costs so little you may as well try it.
http://dx.com/p/wiikey-sd-card-adapter-for-wii-3993

I'd also get a SPDT switch. Lets your console turn internally Japanese.