WKF & WASP F.A.Q.

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
megalomaniac

WKF & WASP F.A.Q.

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:57 am

I thought it would be a great idea to start a FAQ to allow a single place where all collective questions, answers, and information can be easily found to ensure everyone has the most current and accurate information about these two modchips.
this post will be a continued work in progress for now.

Code: Select all

* at first, this post may seem to have questions and answers scattered but eventually there will even be a structure to group related questions.

* anyone can post to ask questions. those questions / answers will then be added here in this first post.

* even if a question has been discussed and answered in a different thread, lets make sure we add it here and we can even add a link to the appropriate thread for reference or expanded information. 

*any moderators will be able to update this post to allow editing for update or new discoveries.

WFK WASP FAQ

INTRO
What is a WKF /WASP?

Wiikey Fusion and Wasp Fusion are drive replacement modchips produced for use on the Wii. Both these modchips allow for the use of complete DVD drive removal as the modchip self will act an a "replacement" dvd drive. Titles are loaded onto an SD card inserted into the modchip's accompanying cardslot which are then read by the modchip and the data is sent to the Wii.
Is there a difference between WKF & WASP?

Functionality and Performance:
Both modchips appear to perform exactly identical and both also use the same flash firmware.

Physically:
WASP modchip is a little bit smaller than WKF.
WKF cardslot is a little but smaller than WKF.

CONNECTIVITY
What do I need to connect a WKF/WASP to GC?

a lot of luck. (just kidding, ill come back and answer this later)
Do i need a LID switch?
YES, but the method of connectivity depends on your setup.

the LID switch on the DVD drive can be used as normal with the LID connection pins matched between the GC and modchip.
or if there is no DVD drive in use, the LID switch can be wired with a Normally Closed switch between the console and the modchip.
or the two pins for GC and modchip LID can be jumpered together to eliminate the need for a switch, but this will effectively kill the ability to switch titles (multi-disc)
Do i need a EJECT / PIN29 switch?
YES and NO

the modchip requires a connection for pin29...
This connection is suggested in the form of a Normally Closed switch with Pin29 connected to the switch and also GND connected to the switch. Pressing the switch will trigger the modchip to load or reload an ISO.

The alternative exists to eliminate the switch and directly connect pin29 to GND but this will kill all ability to use the loading / reloading behavior and the console will need to be powered off and powered on to trigger the load state.

PIN29 must always have a Normally Closed switched connection to GND or a permanent solder connection to GND.
SD CARD BASICS
what is the largest capacity SD card that can be used in the modchip cardslot?

64GB FAT32 formatted SD card appears to be the largest usable capacity from the modchip's cardslot.
note1: swiss on flash is also limited to 64GB from the modchip slot, but swiss is capable of reading up to 2TB from SDGecko
note2: modchip cardslot is not the same thing as SDGecko cardslot
Can SDXC cards be used in the modchip cardslot?

WKF/WASP do not support SDXC format. There are tools available online for download which will reformat an SDXC card into a FAT32 format. This reformatting will allow the SDXC card to be used in the cardslot.
What SD card class or speed rating will be best to use with a WKF/WASP? Can I gain performance by using a higher class SD card?

WFK/WASP supports up to 3x (max) DVD speed for the GC.
3x speed = 4,155 kB/s or about 4MB/s = Class 4
You can expect the exact same performance from a class 4 or a class 10 since the speed limit is based on GC hardware (emulated hardware).
Can I use a partitioned SD card?

This is not recommended. Only the 1st partition will be recognized. In some instances, no partitions are recognized.
I have fragmented files on my SD card. Which utility should I use to defrag the SD card?

NONE!!
The solution is much more simple, safer, and sometimes faster:
1. insert SD card into your PC
2. create a "temp" folder on your desktop
3. open your file browser navigate to view the contents of the SD card
4. select all, cut, and paste the contents of the SD card to your "temp" desktop directory
5. (optional) reformat the SD card
6. select all, cut, and paste the contents from "temp" directory back onto the SD card.
Your card is now defragmented

- What SD-cards does WKF/WASP work with (size/speed)?
- Where to find a WKF/WASP nowadays?
- How to connect a WKF/WASP?

- What is the correct region setting on a WKF/WASP?
- internal WKF menu firmware settings...

Which SD card format do I use, WBFS or FAT/FAT32?

WBFS stands for Wii Backup File System. This format can only be used with Official WKF/WASP firmware and not compatible with Swiss.
FAT/FAT32 format can only be used with Swiss and is not compatible with Official WKF/WASP firmware.

- What tells the LED on the WKF/WASP?
- I get error "fill in here", what to do?
- Where to find WKF/WASP firmware?
- How to flash Swiss on the WKF/WASP?
- What steps are needed for Swiss Autoboot?
- difference between autoboot / autoload
- Which firmware works with Swiss Autoboot?
- How to make audiostreaming games work (physical drive)?

- How to swap multidisc games?
- Which GameCube IPLs does WKF/WASP work with?
- Can WKF/WASP write to a SD card? <--- hell no
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
pr0ton

Re: WKF & WASP F.A.Q.

Post by pr0ton » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:15 pm

Links for answers to come:

- Is there a difference between WKF & WASP? No
- What SD-cards does WKF/WASP work with (size/speed)?
- Where to find a WKF/WASP nowadays?
- How to connect a WKF/WASP?
- What is the correct region setting on a WKF/WASP?
- What tells the LED on the WKF/WASP?
- I get error "fill in here", what to do?
- Where to find WKF/WASP firmware?
- How to flash Swiss on the WKF/WASP?
- What steps are needed for Swiss Autoboot?
- Which firmware works with Swiss Autoboot?
- How to make audiostreaming games work (physical drive)?
- How to swap multidisc games?
- Which GameCube IPLs does WKF/WASP work with?
- Can WKF/WASP write to a SD card?
- Does homebrew work from a WKF/WASP?
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL