Viper GC

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Streetwalker

Re: Viper GC

Post by Streetwalker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:00 pm

You don't need to use the second bios. I think you can just run the updater from Swiss or even as ipl.dol.
blobe

Post by blobe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Whaaaaaat? Nice! I'll try that within the next days!

I will edit this post with the result, just in case there are other people with the same problem/question.

EDIT: Flash via DVD was successful!
Last edited by blobe on Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm still having problems with my Viper Extreme. I still can't determine if the chip/programmer is bad or something else is wrong.

Does the programmer need to be plugged into the serial port to program the chip? Obviously the FFC cable needs to be connected between the chip and programmer but does the programmer need to be inserted into the Gamecube serial port?

So far I've tried:

1) Re-soldered the chip to the Gamecube motherboard (and removed the heatsink to make sure the solder connection was good).
2) Purchased new FFC cables.
3) Created VMs for Win XP, Win7 x86, and Win7 x64.
4) Tried different combinations of dip switch settings.
5) Tried the Cobra Manager and the flash loader.

The loader says it detects the USB adapter but can't communicate with the Viper chip. (yes, the Gamecube is turned on)

The Viper Extreme has a solid blue LED if that means anything.

I don't want to give up but I'm not sure what else to try! :(
Streetwalker

Post by Streetwalker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm pretty sure you do need to plug it into the serial port yes. No idea what the FFC is for. It won't hurt to try either way.
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks. I think most of my attempts had the programmer outside of the GameCube.

The FFC (flexible flat cable) connects the programmer/serial board to the actual Viper Extreme so I’m almost positive it’s required.
Streetwalker

Post by Streetwalker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Yeah no doubt it's required, but I think you need to have both.
GizmoTheGreen

Post by GizmoTheGreen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:14 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 pm
Yeah no doubt it's required, but I think you need to have both.
the FFC cable if for hardware programmer. (dip switch setting, change from viper comm/programmer, you must set dip switch back to use viper normally after programming)

Serial port on gamecube is only needed for the tools, like taking screenshots and usb streaming iso. you can also program the viper in "software" using Cobra Manager, but this requires VIPER 2.1 installed and BOOTED to work (no need to use programmer mode dip setting)

hope this clears it up?

TL;DR DIP switch in programming and FFC = program viper standalone/hardware mode
DIP switch not in programming/NO FFC required but Requires Viper OS BOOTED = can program via Cobra Manager
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:25 am

Thanks Gizmo. I'm completely out of ideas and thinking either my programmer or Viper Extreme chip is permanently dead.

I've tried my Win 10 x64 machine (driver signature disabled) and many VMs (WinXP, Win7 x86, Win7 x64, etc). Every single OS installs the driver successfully but then the flash says communication error and to enable dip switch 2 and turn on the Gamecube (both which I've done).

I've also replaced the FFC cable incase it was damaged.

The Gamecube doesn't boot to any Cobra BIOS and holding X and/or Y doesn't force the Cobra menu.

Does anybody have any last ideas I can try besides throwing out the chip? :( :(
Streetwalker

Post by Streetwalker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:23 am

Are you trying to do this with the console on or off? Did you check your DIP switch positions?
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:22 pm

The console is turned on, dip switch 1 is off and dip switch 2 is on.
GizmoTheGreen

Post by GizmoTheGreen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Is the FFC in correct orientation?
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Yeah... the blue tape side is facing away from the board and the other side is making contact with the board. (like this picture: http://ngc.scorpei.com/post2_images/sec ... w(big).jpg)

I've also purchased new FFC cables from Amazon (0.5mm pitch, 14 pin) and they also don't help.
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:03 am

I've attached two pictures of my install.

If anybody has any last minute ideas please let me know ASAP. Otherwise I'm going to return this Gamecube with the chip to the person I bought it from.

EDIT: These pictures were taken after I removed the heatsink and disconnected the DVD drive cable to get better pictures. When I'm testing everything is connected as normal.

Thanks so much for all of your help everybody.
Attachments
IMG_1031.jpg
(2.67 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_1026.jpg
(2.36 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Streetwalker

Post by Streetwalker » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:38 am

Looks like DA15 on your mainboard has been ripped off, though that shouldn't affect the chip. The wire harness solder joints don't look too great though so you might wanna try to fix that.
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Thanks. I noticed DA15 right after the pictures were taken and I fixed it. I've also tried this chip on two different Gamecube motherboards. Also, that solder job was a little quick and dirty because I've desoldered those points several times.

Here are some more recent pictures of a much cleaner solder job but it didn't help at all.
Attachments
IMG_1034.jpg
(2.59 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_1033.jpg
(2.62 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Streetwalker

Post by Streetwalker » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 am

At this point it's safe to assume that the chip has a problem. Since you said you could return it, you should probably do that and look for another one.
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm

So the guy I purchased it from refunded my money and said to just keep the chip. I'm pretty much done trying to get it working, but does anybody have another working chip and programmer that could test and program my chip? I can send prepaid shipping envelopes and also $20 extra for the effort. Let me know if anybody can help