Swiss Issues

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
L10N37

Swiss Issues

Post by L10N37 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:25 am

Having a few problems with my newly flashed Wasp Fusion with 2 swiss builds so far.

(I used this video guide after the WIKI's installation instructions totally did not work, they don't even mention loading the swissflasher.dol?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XwKvi8asFE

First I flashed the latest R256 build, I was getting random lock up's on games that were fine through WKF menu. (i.e mario kart), though sometimes I could turn the system on and play for a race or two and it was fine.

Metroid Prime 2 - locks up within a minute of gameplay.

Resident evil 2 - locks up randomly sometimes

Super Mario Sunshine - Locks up randomly sometimes

I reverted to 1.2, re-updated to 1.5 and tried flashing the older version of swiss found in the link to the video, Resident evil 2 won't load what so ever in that version (stuck on 'reading') BUT works through the Gecko (but very choppy, which I expected, as I read about the speed problems through those ports) In fact I think everygame works through the Gecko but has set-backs (audio missing, choppy). Metroid Prime 2 still locks up within 30 seconds of gameplay (or sometimes before hand).

Mario Kart hasn't locked up but I haven't played it for a long period (the systems spread over a table in pieces, not exactly comfortable)

Any suggestions? Or should I just boot swiss when I want to run emulators etc?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Swiss Issues

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 am

Before blaming Swiss, try playing a game with the Wiikey Fusion menu that's on there by default.

To me, it sounds like a intermittent connection.
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 am

The connections to the fusion were all verified and epoxied down, I can't find any shorts visually or with a meter or bad connections on the DVD port, I can pick the SD card and drop it and move it around same as the wasp, can pick it up and move it around, pull the wires around and tap them and the games keep streaming video or playing. The lock ups are at random.

I just reverted with 1.2 recovery and back to 1.5, put the resident evil 2 iso on there and it's running flawlessly. Same thing with being able to move the fusion around and no lock-ups. Like i mentioned one version was locking at random and the other version wouldn't load the iso through wkf slot at all. I even tried using my busted WKF SD slot (which is a tad smaller than the wasp fusion SD slot) and it's exactly the same. I will try a few more ISO's.
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 am

I just tried Metroid Prime 2 echoe's and got 'an error has occurred'

Maybe it's the Class 6 'Lexar' SD card I'm using, It's 16GB and was the cheapest SD HC card I could get (without buying online) they had faster ones but they were 50% extra $$.
This card won't autoboot swiss, just autoload (it's there ready to play in menu with no P29 switch) where as my transcend micro SD through SD adapter autoboots. This cards only 64mb out of an old Nokia, so I only used it for FAT flash files and Swissflasher.dol

The only other card I have at the moment is Class 10 32gb 'Master' Branded but it's busted open (sitting in my headunit too long which gets crazy hot) unless I take the one out of my mobile phone and stick in an adapter, but it's getting a bit late to be mucking around with this for now.

What card have you had the best luck with? I might try and get one. If it's my wiring to the wasp, which I took a high res photo of and like I said checked for shorts, I'll be stuffed... like I said it's epoxied..!!

*edit*
Re-loaded Prime 2, and I can run around and play it with no errors.. going to leave it on for a while before I go to bed :)
edit again - game kept running but audio glitched and started going funny after 5 minutes.

Goodnight..>!@
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:03 pm

I can test those titles later tonight.

Are you using clean rip backups (md5 verified)?
WASP dip switches set to GC mainboard region?
NTSC titles or PAL?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:40 am

All titles mentioned were PAL, also tried Soul Calibur 2 which as far as I remember was fine on swiss.
Originally I used resident evil (the remake of the original, GC only title) and Mario Party 4 and another ISO of Mario Kart to test which were NTSC and all were good. (WKF 1.5)

All dip switches to ON. (PAL GC)

I can leave Mario Kart on for half an hour or so and it never locks up. (both versions, haven't bothered leaving on any longer)
I did run the Metroid 2 ISO through a program called 'Wiped GCM Fixer' and it came up a good ISO. They are all exactly 1425760kb. What's strange is I have a lot more NTSC ISO's that just won't load what so ever though the WKF 1.5, but they do run though a dolphin emulator fine.

I am going to try a bunch more ISO's now, and I'll let you know what happens.
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 am

Ok

Zelda- windmaker PAL was fine where as the NTSC version just gave a black screen after reboot.

Used MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum utility 1.1 with MD5 from redump.org

Both NTSC and PAL versions of windmaker were verified good. One black screens, the others fine...? Doesn't make sense as I've tried those other NTSC ISO's and they worked.

Metroid 2 PAL was verified good MD5 too.

very weird... one more thing that happens very rarely (about once every 10 reboots) is that the wasp just chooses the first ISO in the list even though I told it to load another.

I do have another WASP if all else fails, but It's weird the way this ones behaving... I thought it was a latency issue but this throws that theory out the window.
I did order another SD card hoping it would Autoboot rather than just autoload... But I know now that won't fix anything.

EDIT: Metroid Prime 1 also errors during gameplay.
The board came out of a gamecube I got 2nd hand a few years back for $15... maybe they gave it to 'savers' because it was faulty??? Or I guess I'll be hooking up another wasp sometime...! Also MD5 verified. For now I give up!! I do have another 3 gamecubes here, but that would totally suck having to re-do all the work I've done!
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:44 am

Tried one more thing, shortened the earth cable which was quite long and thought maybe some of the voltage from the power to the wasp was inducting into the data lines... wedged some plastic between it to separate from the data lines... 10 minutes on Metroid one.. running around playing, shooting... no lock up!

Tried fusion 2... read error

Thought I'd try and shorten the massive power cable to the wasp too... started probing around with the meter to find another 3.43 rail... found one @ C74 in front of the controller port.. HANG ON.. It's blank!!
There's no chip there... judging by the pictures I saw when i googled gamecube motherboard.. there'es meant to be one there!! must have gotten hot enough when removing the ports close by and it fell off!

Metroid prime 2 is now running glitch free with the shortened power cable, but the other iso's that gave a black screen still do.
From what I've read they are 3102 ohms? but then when I read with the A and B leg swapped I get a reading of around 10k (the resistors nearby)... I'm not used to reading resistors in this range...! What value do I need to replace this with ?

:D

Feeling like a detective ha.
Anyway no more gamecube stuffing around with.
Jeeeeez
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 am

just realised they are capacitors, any idea on the value?

**Edit**
Well I had an old broken [laptop] motherboard and i pulled a resistor off of that, it's now loading games that wouldn't before. Spartan total warrior just randomly starts buzzing a few seconds into the audio.
Zelda - collectors edition now boots - but won't load the games when you select them
Zelda, Ocarina of time with masters quest - starts buzzing at selection screen like spartan but then when you load the game it runs perfect.

http://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/issues/detail?id=36
found this, and he was getting the same thing on collectors ed. Says it was fixed with R47?

I will try a few more capacitors and see if the buzz disappears - if you could clarify this isn't normal would be great.
Sorry for so many posts in a row, i'm just really close to finishing the portable.

Thanks for swiss too! awesome app.

OK, the cap had something to do with the screen... NTSC iso's are now Fullscreen as well as PAL, originally the NTSC (the ones that would boot anyway) were not fullscreen.
I can deal with a buzz at selection screen, and not playing spartan until maybe a future build...
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:48 pm

sounds like you have a lot going on there...
i would like to help identify the part values for you but i am completely lost with what you are trying to attempt..this is where posting pictures can help...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:29 am

I know you know you're shi*, I saw your video of your homemade Xeno and how you had it running with the GD drive at the same (as the wkf). It is making the same noise as when you booted Eternal Darkness without the audio streaming cable attached. When you attached it, it was all good.

Spartan is doing it a few seconds into loading, and continues to.
Zelda just does it at the selection screen where you choose Master quest or original, once ones loaded it's fine. Other games don't have any issues at all (I've tried a good 10 at least)

I have no Idea how to read the value of these SMD capacitors, they are all brown and unmarked. I don't want to borrow one off another GC board either... The cap with the red wire (that's powering my wasp with 3.3v)

http://i.imgur.com/bmydCrS.jpg

The only other thing i find strange is when running standard gamecube boot menu it's fuzzing through headphones (not speakers anymore, managed to fix that). Once swiss is loaded it's quiet, you just hear a tick as you scroll through iso's.. then once a games loaded it's back, then once the audio in the game starts there's a new ticking noise ..like I said headphones only - kinda gave up on ever fixing that.

just tried eternal darkness, starts fuzzing at the intro screen with text, but then the audio fix must kick in and it goes quiet, the rest of the game seems fine with audio??