Qoob Chip

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
piratesephiroth

Re: Qoob Chip

Post by piratesephiroth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 pm

I just noticed that the Qoob SX has 1Mb of memory (131 072 bytes) for applications, so the standard GCOS for Qoob won't fit... Unless it can become as small as the Viper GC Bios version.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 pm

There was some GCoS lite for viper.
lucky77

Post by lucky77 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi there! :)
I just signed up to gc-forever.com. I'm from Germany and just bought and soldered a qoob Pro into my GameCube (PAL, DOL-001).
The reason I use the qoob Pro is to launch swiss. With swiss, I force my games into 480p/576p and widescreen. I do not play backups of my games, only with original game discs.

I have some questions about the qoob Pro (BIOS 1.3c) and swiss (v0.3-r174) and would really appreciate it, if someone could help me with that.

1.) Since I only play games original (= read-only device), is there any possibility to save the global and current game settings?
I have space left on the built-in flash memory of the qoob Pro. Any possibility/future plans to use this memory for swiss settings?
If not, what other options do I have?

2.) Since I only use the qoob Pro to launch swiss, can I somehow make swiss the primary BIOS?
Or is there a possibility to make the qoob Pro autostart swiss?
If not, are there any future plans to implement this?

3.) Swiss crashes when starting any game, if I set "Video Mode (qoob)" to "480p" in the qoob configuration menu.
To prevent swiss from crashing, I need to set the option back to default ("AUTO" = 576i @ 50 Hz for my PAL GameCube).
Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks in advice for taking the time to help me!
lucky77
Last edited by lucky77 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 pm

1. That's a neat idea, maybe down the track.
2. I've got this in the works, just not yet as there hasn't been much demand.
3. I will need to try this out, I haven't been developing with a component cable in use for a while now.

Would probably be best if you logged these as issues on the googlecode issue tracker for the project if you could:
http://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/issues/list
lucky77

Post by lucky77 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:10 am

Whoa, I got answers from emu_kidid himself! :o :lol:
Thank you very much for answering! Oh, and by the way: Thank you in general for programming this awesome application! :D

1.) This would be really cool! I am really thankful for the possibility to enjoy my PAL games in 480p/576p and 16:9.
But not reconfiguring every current game setting at every startup would really be the icing on the cake! 8-)
As for now, are there any options for me to save these settings, but still playing original discs? (I would buy an additional device, if necessary.)

2.) More awesomeness to come? :mrgreen:
Will it be implemented in swiss v0.4?

3.) It's okay. It does not bother me to have the qoob menu in 576i, since I only see it for 3 seconds, before I launch swiss. ;)
It was more of a hint than a request.

I will log all these issues on the google code issue tracker.
Again, thank you very much.
Last edited by lucky77 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 am

No problem, thanks for joining the forums, good to see fellow GameCubers still around and tinkering with games/etc :)

I was going to suggest that if you buy a SD Gecko it would save/load the settings to there even if playing from DVD but that would've been a lie. I will need to re-work the config to perhaps always go to SDGecko/IDE-EXI regardless of loading source.
lucky77

Post by lucky77 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:28 am

Okay. So at the moment, there is no possibility to save global and current game settings, if playing with original game discs? (I just need to be sure.) But probably, in future releases?
Last edited by lucky77 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 am

Not at this moment, no.

I'd say definitely in future releases ;)
lucky77

Post by lucky77 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:40 am

Alright! Thanks for the info! ;)
Maybe this option will be implemented in swiss 0.4? :D

By the way: I have submitted all three issues on the google code issue tracker.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:34 am

As there literally doesn't seem to be one around (search google for "pac man world 2" gamecube 480p qoob)...
I've begun a long overdue NTSC Qoob forced 480p compatibility list. Should be helpful to you guys. :D

http://gbatemp.net/threads/qoob-us-jpn- ... st.358717/
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:17 pm

I'm bumping this topic back to life. I just found a qoob sx chip never used still in the bag. I wanted to ask is there a way to flash swiss on the SX version or is that only for the PRO version? I see there is a ELF/DVD flash method and a swiss.elf in the nightly builds but info for the qoob is a little outdated so any help would be great. I hope everyone is doing well I see that Mega has big things in the works like always (Nice Wiikey clone!). Thanks guys
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:16 pm

only Qoob pro can fit swiss in flash
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Benni

Post by Benni » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:24 pm

And Viper Extreme?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:21 pm

megalomaniac wrote:only Qoob pro can fit swiss in flash
Alright thanks, so swiss on disc is the only way to load on qoob sx? And do you think its better just to keep it sealed and not install it or is it better to use a Qoob over say a Xeno GC
baileygray117

Post by baileygray117 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:30 am

sorry if im bringing up a dead thread just wondering if anyone knows where I can get one of these?
spacedp

Post by spacedp » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:42 am

baileygray117 wrote:sorry if im bringing up a dead thread just wondering if anyone knows where I can get one of these?
Yea me too im trying to find one. I already have it on my gamecube for many years (2006) and dont remember when and how i got it on my gc but since its dying i want a new chip incase i lose mine. I believe they r discontinued but whatever.
Bugalo

Post by Bugalo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi,

I recently bought a Qoob Pro, completely new. Before installing it, I wanted to test it by flashing the bios, but I cannot get it to correctly flash. I have tried all the flasher versions, and all the bios versions, I have tried all the slots in the Qoob Pro memory, but I get the same result: the flasher writes about 16kb of data, and then either it hangs, or it gives an error. Afterwards, the data in the memory slot seems corrupted, it appears as "???" in the flasher program. I can erase this data, and erasing apparently works.

I wonder if anyone has met a similar issue, or if anyone has any advice to fix it. Thanks in advance.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:52 am

Try another PC/OS, shorter USB cable and make sure you're using the latest version of the flasher. The programming on the Qoob can be quite flaky with recent Windows/Motherboards.
Bugalo

Post by Bugalo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:58 am

Thank you very much for your response, I will try with a different cable. Do you think that a virtual machine with an older Windows version would work? I can try to find an old pc somewhere around. Also, I am a Linux user, but I cannot find the Linux flasher, gqoob, anywhere on the internet. Do you know anything about that project?

Again, thank you very much for your quick response.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:49 am

even if you find gqoob binary or compile the source, you will still have to mess with getting the USB drivers working....
and virtual machine thru linux wont work without first getting the USB drivers functional...

you are better off sticking with windows to first confirm if your qoob is functional, then once you confirm full functionality you can troubleshoot your linux system or else you maybe be chasing your tail linux
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Bugalo

Post by Bugalo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:50 pm

I've been trying with different cables, different computers and different Windows versions, and I have the same error: the flasher writes 16kb on the chip, and then it crashes. I would be really thankful if anyone has any other suggestion that I can try.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:51 am

which flasher version are you using?
i think 1.3C is the version ive used in the past..

hmmmm....i think i have a problematic qoob that always gave me trouble flashing
i dont remember the exact issue but i could only flash it when it was removed from the GC...but it worked perfect...only flashing was the issue
disconnect it from the Qoob from GC and instead only wire up 5v and GND....see if that makes a difference...

Image Image Image
Bugalo

Post by Bugalo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:29 am

I have tried the 4 flasher versions provided in the first page of this thread, and all the bios versions. Until now, I've tired flashing it without plugging it in the gamecube, it is completely disconnected. I will try your suggestion and see if it makes any difference.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:44 am

The Qoob won't get power off USB if I understand correctly, you need to connect it to the GC and power it on.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:51 am

No, don't power the GC and USB at the same time.