Swiss Flashed Wasp won't boot any games

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Redmagnusx

Swiss Flashed Wasp won't boot any games

Post by Redmagnusx » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey guys, I think I have a new one for you. I have a wasp fusion flashed with swiss .3 rev 275 that refuses to boot any games. Of the games I've tried so far, only F-Zero GX boots, but that only gets up to the progressive scan message and it crashes shortly after. For Super Smash Brothers and Twilight Princess it simply hangs at the "Executing Game! 100%" message and won't go any further than that. I'm honestly have no clue what the problem could be because it was working just fine earlier and it seems to have just started randomly. It also does this when using both the SD gecko and the Wasp's SD reader

Things I've tried while troubleshooting;
I quadruple checked my soldering points between the megadrive v5 and the motherboard.
I replaced the ffc cable between the megadrive and the wasp twice with two different cables.
I've checked the motherboard for any residue that may be causing a short and found none.
I've tried launching games through sd gecko. No luck there.
I've changed the dipswitch settings on the wasp to be NTSC which didn't make a difference.
I've also tried updating to the latest nightly build with no luck.

I'm at a loss guys and I would really appreciate your time and help in resolving this as I am nearly finished with my portable and I only need to close it up at this point.

I'm greeted with this everytime...

Attachments
20140727_124248.jpg
(105.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
megalomaniac

Re: Swiss Flashed Wasp won't boot any games

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Redmagnusx wrote: I'm honestly have no clue what the problem could be because it was working just fine earlier and it seems to have just started randomly.
.....could be anything...
could have blown something
could have moved a wire
could have had a bad solder joint
bad cable
bad card
bad luck !!

thats the challenging part of making a portable...anything can go wrong...
there is almost no magic answer to solve the problem other than check everything...everything...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Redmagnusx

Post by Redmagnusx » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Yea, I realize that, but at this point I think it's leaning more towards bad luck LOL. I've been going over everything with a fine toothed comb in an effort to find the issue. The ffc cable for the wasp sd card reader ended up getting damage in the process, so I ordered a new wasp from you just in case either the wasp itself or the cable end up being issue.

What's worse is that it's the ultimate tease in that it seems like it's loading, the screen will even flash black for a second and then it just hangs saying "Executing game! 100%." Sometimes I'll even get a distorted green bar at the top 1/3rd of the screen.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 am

do you have a wii to test with?

also what happened to the cable?
ive been using some savagely looking FFC cables for months now which got abused from flashing a shit ton of WKF/WASP... no problems with the cables so far except for 1 which bad a pin broken off from a drunken night of fun
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Redmagnusx

Post by Redmagnusx » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 am

The pins on one of the sides broke off. It happened in my attempt at reseating it in the connector. I do have a cable laying around from a Wii key, but I'm not sure if I should use it because the pins don't seem to exactly match up.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to test it in my Wii before this happened. Is there way to test it without the sd card slot?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 am

a WKF cable is all the same as WASP...just dont use the cardslot since its pinned differently, but the cable is the same

without an SD card, you can only test passthru mode with a DVD drive
also, you didnt have the test WASP previously with your wii because all WASPS have already been validated and besides you know yourself that it worked...so we are not looking as previous results, only trying to rule out current condition to see if other problems exist...
of course having a 2nd WKF/WASP on hand is always a good solution too...

Image Image Image
Redmagnusx

Post by Redmagnusx » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:32 pm

I just tried the wiikey cable and it didn't work. The cable started to get really hot so I shut it down. I don't think the pins line up correctly.
Redmagnusx

Post by Redmagnusx » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:03 pm

I am happy to report that I was able to figure out what the issue was. It turns out that it was an issue with the connection of one of the power lines. After De-soldering all of the power connections and reconnecting them, the Gamecube suddenly started working. I'm just glad that I didn't give up on it.

It's odd that this was the issue because of how everything appeared to function perfectly up until attempting to boot a game. My only guess is that the bad connection was somehow under-powering the board.