Modchips and Pot Tweaking

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Midori

Modchips and Pot Tweaking

Post by Midori » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Is tweaking the pot necessary for mod chips? Mine is already tweaked, although a few years later I had to tweak it again because it must have moved around I suppose so I'll probably invest in a modchip pretty soon. Appreciate the assistance!
iamdablasta

Re: Modchips and Pot Tweaking

Post by iamdablasta » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:32 pm

For a disc drive modchip tweaking the potentiometer may be neccessary, but not always. I am assuming you are talking about something like the XenoGC, DuoQ, Viper, Qoob, or any other modchip that is designed to read iso's from dvd.

If the disc does not read tweaking the pot is often the solution. Mine is set a 0 ohm because it had problems reading the disc, this is due to the combination of a weak laser and a bad dvd burner. I personally have used a full size disc case mod, and used Verbatim disc for this purpose, which has had few errors, the few errors mostly being due to a bad iso or a bad burn.

For tweaking the potentiometer you should bring a multimeter, google how to work one, or buy an autoadjusting multimeter if you are not customed to using one. For me it was default on 200 ohm approximately, and I had to get it down to 150 ohm to read my discs properly. The laser was old (10years+, launch model), so I had to get a new one after a while (old one refused to work at anything higher than zero).
For me 4x burn speed was the optimal with fewest errors (1 out of 10), and I tried multiple computers with different burners and speeds to get this result.

on topic idk i sidetrack a lot
My suggestion for your objective is to start with installing your modchip if you haven't, don't touch the potentiometer yet. Try to load a disc with an iso you have backed up at a friends Wii or Gamecube (or you know...). If it doesn't load and throws disc read errors I would try again lowering the Ohm by 5 at a time inbetween each attempt. You may wish to note the original Ohm it was just in case. It could be handy to have two different discs with different iso's so you know it's not the discs fault, probably.
If it ever stops reading discs and you go down to zero and it still wont load, try to clean the laser lens properly with isopropanyl. Then consider changing laser if it doesn't work still.

A faulty laser is not too uncommon, but for gods sake use a multimeter when tweaking! It's a godsend.
the game
Midori

Post by Midori » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Really appreciate the informative post! I actually use to have a multimeter, but I haven't seen it since I moved so I did this recent pot tweak manually which ended up working somehow, but I feel I should probably tweak it better and go out and pay for a multimeter. I'm going learn how to solder very soon so I can install the Xeno myself.
torturelabs

Post by torturelabs » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:24 am

Midori wrote:Really appreciate the informative post! I actually use to have a multimeter, but I haven't seen it since I moved so I did this recent pot tweak manually which ended up working somehow, but I feel I should probably tweak it better and go out and pay for a multimeter. I'm going learn how to solder very soon so I can install the Xeno myself.
Manually? D:
A friend killed two GC laser pots this way.

Yeah, I highly advise a multimeter.
The slightest adjustment will send your pot from 250~ to 50 so you know, be careful.

I would like to add to the above post as well;

Burn with ImgBurn at (forced) 2x, if the drive is not able to write at said speed it will just auto-adjust to the lowest possible writing speed available.
Try and stay with 'one brand type' on disks as they all (for the most part) read at different pot levels.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:31 am

100 ohms is fine...
50 ohms is fine...
0 ohm is fine....

dont know how your friend killed it...worse case scenario, remove the pot and jump the trace...there is a 150 ohm "safety" resistor built into the circuit already....adjusting the pot should cause no harm at all...

http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... Adjustment
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:24 pm

I know this discussion is old but this question of 150 ohm safety made me curious. 2008 I bought my first gamecube with xeno to use copies. I changed the potentiometer values to play Metroid Prime. It was going well until I need access an area and displays a black screen but the sound working perfectly. I lost my Gamecube trying to work it. In my second Gamecube also with xeno I changed the potentiometer but given up on Prime. Any game that I used at any time shut down the gamecube but the FAN still functioned normally. The only game that did not cause this problem was my "SNES Collection" that worked with the laser turned off. Today I have a gamecube with qoob and all my game worked perfectly. I managed to buy all the original versions of my games but as my laser is 2001 I need to change the potentiometer value. This protection 150 ohm really works and I had 2 bad hardware or was a consequence by changing the potentiometer? I'm sorry for text size and my english.