New to the WKF world...

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
MockyLock

New to the WKF world...

Post by MockyLock » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:22 pm

'llo !
So, after a soOo long time, i finally could set a WKF in a GC, using Megadrive v3 (this item is so damn coOol ! megalomaniac, you can hold one more for me for the next order i'll ask to you).
My setup : NTSC board (from Badass), and a WKF with swiss r275 flashed on it.
I played many games, the "overall" features are working great.
But i have somme issues with in-depth uses.
For exemple, i couldn't set a virtual memory card on a SDGecko. Not really important, you'll say, but hell, if it does exist, i must know how to do it ! I tried for Mario Kart DOuble Dash, but the game freezes on black screen.

But the other issue i have for now is i can't do swisseption. Every time i try to load another swiss (so i can try and use the last nightly build), i have a DSI error (black screen with lots of data written). I tried to load from the WiikeyFusion SD, from IDE-EXI, and from SD Gecko. Every time same screen (i didn't check if it was the same data written).
I used to do swisseption with my older GC setup ( load swiss 0.2r94 from QOOB, then the last swiss from SD Gecko).
I must do something wrong with the WKF.
Any help would be appreciated !
Thank you, and once again, kudos to megalomaniac and emu_kidid, bringing us this awsome ODE to the GC !
MockyLock

Re: New to the WKF world...

Post by MockyLock » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:11 am

Well, thanks to megalomaniac (once again), i've succesfully done swisseption.
I had to load swiss in DOL format (i was using ISO format). So i report it here, if it can help anyone.

Second step in my WKF discovery : the WKF swiss flashing.
I read a few thread, and the wiki, explaining ISO extract, and view some megalomaniac video on youtube, etc.. but i'm a bit confused (i think it changes since the Nightly Build).
So, please correct me if i'm wrong, if i want to flash another swiss on my WKF (already flashed with a swiss), i have to :
- copy the 2 files in the WiikeyFusion PAL folder ( swiss_r287(pal).fzn.fw and swiss_r287(pal).fzn ) on a SD card, and insert it in a SDGecko
- boot my GameCube running swiss through WKF
- browse to the SDGecko, and boot the swiss_r287(pal).fzn
Am I right ?

Some questions :
- in the wiki, only the .fzn file is used ? not the .fzn.fw (or maybe it's used but not displayed)
- reading many pages, it seems that we have to use the PAL version of the .fzn file, both NTSC brick your WKF. So, why are these files still joined in each Nightly Build version ?

Thank you very much.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:19 am

FZN = new swiss version
FZN.FW = 1.0 autoboot firmware....

once autoboot is installed FZN.FW is not needed anymore unless you perform a WKF 1.2 restore. This will remove autoboot feature so using FZN.FW will restore autoboot

NTSC versions were broken for a little while, but they were fixed a long time ago. So that is old information since they are working now
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:39 am

Thank you, quick answer indeed.
Sorry if it makes you repeat again and again the same things, but informations a spread all over gc-forever, and even youtube, so it' s pretty easy to miss something, specially when you were away from testing/using for too long.

So it's as simple as boot the FZN file, thanks.

If FZN.FW can restore autoboot after a 1.2 recovery, can it install autoboot on a WKF that never been autobooted ?
Second, this FZN.FW file have to be used by te SD swap trick ? or can it be read by the WKF through a WBFS SD card ?

'cause i have 2 WKFs with 1.3 firmware. I don't think it's useful anymore since swiss became a really powerful "dashboard" and i think i'll have to switch them to swiss.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:57 am

MockyLock wrote:If FZN.FW can restore autoboot after a 1.2 recovery, can it install autoboot on a WKF that never been autobooted ?
yes

MockyLock wrote:Second, this FZN.FW file have to be used by te SD swap trick ? or can it be read by the WKF through a WBFS SD card ?
if WKF/WASP is using original WKF firmware, boot a swiss iso
then once in swiss menu you can flash the firmware

note: you cannot flash firmware alone....you need both files...
select the FZN and swiss will then flash both files
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:11 am

I'll have to watch your video again about booting swiss in WKF original firmware.
And so, after, selecting FZN will automatically use FZN.FW.
OK !
I'll try on one of my WKF with 1.3 firmware.
Thank you very much !
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:32 am

Just to say that thanks to megalomaniac explanations, i successfully flashed a WKF (with its original 1.3 firmware) with a brand new Swiss r285. Performed on a MEGAdrive V1 soldered by myself :] (glad it works).
Something weird, it was very difficult to boot the WKF in its original firmware. I had to reboot many times the GC, and hit many times the pin29 switch. At booting, the WKF was blinking with a very very pale blue color. Once i succesfully booted in WKF firmware, everything goes smoothly, botting the Swiss ISO, than swap the SD card.
Now it's flashed with Swiss, the WKF has a normal behavior (the GC boot to its IPL, and i launch Swiss from there).
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:41 pm

That dim light sounds like something I had going on at one time, how do you have the megadrive v1 soldered? How are you powering and grounding your wkf?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:12 pm

WKF firmware is all screwy for GC use...
Once swiss is on it it's amazing how nice the WKF behaves...

Image Image Image
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:08 pm

Duhasst0 wrote:That dim light sounds like something I had going on at one time, how do you have the megadrive v1 soldered? How are you powering and grounding your wkf?
I also have this light problem. I have wired directly but my wiikey fusion works without problems only my dvd drive doesnt work.
My owering is direktly from the power supply pin to an 32 pin ffc adapter. my ground goes from the drive port to the 32 pin ffc adapter.