GC not running certain games

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Salmi

GC not running certain games

Post by Salmi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi.

I have GenoGC chip installed, after turning GC on, the orange light lights up. I burnt some games to Verbatim discs on 4x speed (my dvd writer isnt able to write on lower speed), but some games arent working even after tweaking the POT. For example: Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and NFS U2 works from 30-120 ohm. But Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart Double Dash is not working regardles of ohm. It loads the Nindendo and Dolby Prologic(?) banner, but after that the laser hangs and the system is freezing, reset doesnt work.
I have DOL-001.

Does anybody have some ideas what should I do?

Thanks in advance :).
iamdablasta

Re: GC not running certain games

Post by iamdablasta » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Have you confirmed they are good dumps? If you dumped them yourself you can check the MD5 / SHA to verify that it is equal to some other dump which is working.

My main concern is your dvd burner, I have had issues with some and the solution with a game not loading was always to burn on another burner in my case. And then there's the rare case where some dvd's just dont work regardless.
the game
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:09 pm

If the dumps are verified and I mean redump verified + verified when written to DVD-R, then what I suspect it might be is the laser movement rather than the laser itself. Confirm this by attempting to run something more intense such as Wave Race or Star Fox Adventures (which requires audio streaming/lots of fast seeks).
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:13 pm

About laser movement, I found an interesting mod a while ago. Basically you need to clean up the mechanism and relubricate it, and optionally trim both ends of the rack to make your drive more silent and allow the laser to reach further.
Salmi

Post by Salmi » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:05 am

Well, meantime I bought another GC at the local flea market and I replaced the dvd drive mainboard and now it reads all dvds. So I think the problem was around the laser.