Wasp Fusion does not load since Swiss firmware flash attempt

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Kadano

Wasp Fusion does not load since Swiss firmware flash attempt

Post by Kadano » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:47 pm

I soldered all Gamecube pins listed in the wiki tutorial to the FFC adapter board and connected it to the Wasp Fusion and managed to get “Linux for GC” to show up. So I was able to start the Wiikey Fusion software, update to 1.5 and load Swiss. I followed ShockSlayer’s tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XwKvi8asFE&t=3m12s

However, at the screen shown in the time I linked, I was stuck (“Firmware found and read successfully”). I waited five minutes, but the loading bar still did not show up, so I powered the Gamecube off and tried to do it all over again. However, ever since, I have not been able to use the Wasp Fusion at all.

I even switched the Wasp Fusion with my other one that I just took out of its sealing, but the same problem happened. So I thought that maybe my soldering has an error, but I checked it very often and never found a problem. (I connected three ground pins from the (PAL) Gamecube DVD connection to pins 2, 10 and 18 on the Wasp Fusion breakout.)

Here is a short video of my problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tshp25b2VKY

I appreciate help very much and will donate 10€ to the person if his help solves the problem!
Last edited by Kadano on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Re: Wasp Fusion does not load since Swiss firmware flash att

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:49 pm

those instructions in shockslayers post are old and outdated. While they can still be used with no issues, there is actually no reason at all to load 1.5 firmware on the modchip only to then try to flash swiss

video does not focus enough on GC wiring enough to determine if there is a lid switch or pin 29 switch installed. If there is no pin29 switch, then you need to add one now!!
1.5 firmware requires pin29 switch to boot into original menu (Linux for GC) or to also boot swiss menu

1.0 firmware (autoboot) does not require pin 29 switch for menu loading...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Kadano

Post by Kadano » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:16 am

Thanks for your quick reply! I have a switch installed that is wired to Wiikey pin 29, other end to Gamecube DVD port ground. When I start the Gamecube and go to the disc menu, toggling the switch will make the displayed text switch between “reading disc …” (never finishes) and “no disc found”.

Is this sufficient for the switch?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:13 am

you have a normally closed switch?
pin29 must always contact GND, pressing the switch will remove GND. this is the sense to allow loading the iso upon reconnection to GND. the switch must be pressed for only a split second.

if the switch is correct type (NC) then make sure "lid" is also closed. If lid is closed then there is a wiring issue somewhere. If in doubt, you can always try the 1.2 restore iso.
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm pretty sure you don't have the right kind of switch on pin 29. Anytime I broke the ground connection to pin 29 and didn't notice it until after I turned my GC my wasp acted very similar.
Kadano

Post by Kadano » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Yeah, it’s a “resting” / permanent type, not a temporary one. Gonna put in a new one as soon as possible. When am I supposed to break the contact for a split second? When the Gamecube starts trying to read from disc?

Also, is it likely that having it on with the wrong switch type damaged the Wasp’s software and I have to do 1.2 recovery? If so, do I need the NC switch for that recovery as well?

Edit: Oh, and megalomaniac, you said that updating to 1.5 / ShockSlayers tutorial was outdated. Could you please give me a link to the new procedure, then?
Kadano

Post by Kadano » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:09 am

So, luckily I had another Wasp Fusion, breakout board (MPUzone) and Gamecube lying around and bought the proper NC switch today. I decided to put it into the second Gamecube so I could redo the wiring with my increased experience and it turned out much cleaner this time.

When I start the second Gamecube and go to the disc screen, it says “no disc found” until I press the NC switch. As soon as I do that, the Linux tool shows up, nice.

Exchanging its Wasp chip for the first one from the first Gamecube does not work (still tries to read the disc forever). So I guess there was a problem when trying to flash the Swiss boot file and I’ll have to do 1.2 recovery.

However, before I do that, I’d like to get the second Gamecube to fully installed and Swiss autoboot state, so that it won’t need the NC switch anymore and I can use it for the first Gamecube. So I would really appreciate it if you could give me a link to the current process for getting autoboot Swiss!

@Duhasst0: How did you get your “broken” Wasp to work again? Did you have to do 1.2 recovery?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:08 am

it sounds like there is a firmware incompatibility causing the consistant read disc message...
the instructions are simple:

put latest nightly swiss iso on WBFS SD card
put swiss.fzn and fzn.fw on fat formatted SD card

put WBFS SD card in WKF slot
boot into WKF and start swiss iso
you have a a few seconds while GC reboots to swap the WBFS card for the FAT card
if you get stuck in swiss "initializing card" try it again till you get the swap timing right

once you successfully boot into swiss with the contents of the FAT SD card showing, exit WASP device, then remove FAT SD CARD
insert FAT SD card into SD Gecko
in swiss device manager, go to SD Gecko..you will now see the FZN FZN.FW
select the FZN and let it flash

wait till complete and turn off...
move SD card from SDGecko back into WASP slot and turn back on
you will now have either autoboot or autoload functionality

once you accomplish post back that you have successfully completed the autoboot update and then i can tell you a dirty hack on how to get your other WASP back to working condition...

Image Image Image
Kadano

Post by Kadano » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 am

Okay, I was not able to wait and used r296 for everything (WBFS and FAT32 SD cards), flashing worked fine. I did not open the Swiss Flasher tool, I directly flashed swiss_r296(pal).fzn from Swiss r296.
I am able to boot Super Smash Bros. Melee just fine! Yay. So I’m ready for the recovery instructions, please. :)

Only one minor issue remains now for this second Gamecube and Wiikey:

1. When I set the game to force 480p in Swiss and save, the settings are not stored. As soon as I turn off the Gamecube, the setting will default to Auto again. How do I make it remember to force 480p?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:23 pm

glad you got everything working.
Swiss cannot save settings on READ ONLY devices like DVD / WKF / WASP so you will have to adjust settings everytime, for now...

I was thinking about how to explain the recovery instructions...
they can be very confusing and allow a lot of ways to do something wrong..
ill post a pic or a video or something to help explain the process...give me a bit of time but for now enjoy the WKF that is working

Image Image Image
Kadano

Post by Kadano » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:11 pm

It’s weird that the modified .ini files (which have 480p set for video mode) don’t have any affect, though. I’ve put SD cards with these Swiss.ini files in both Wasp and SD Gecko slots, but it still boots in 576p mode. It’s somewhat fine, though; my CRT monitors accept 576p signals.

Yeah, I’m gonna wait with the other one. I think I’ve read some short instructions for recovery, which said to put the 1.2 recovery image as-is and without a file system on the SD card, using some custom flashing program. I’ll wait for your instructions, though.