Panasonic Q and Qoob Pro questions...

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
goombakid

Panasonic Q and Qoob Pro questions...

Post by goombakid » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:07 am

So, I've been Googling for a hot minute, trying to get consensus on modding a Panasonic Q and a Qoob Pro.

The story goes like this.

A friend of mine has 2 Panasonic Qs: One that is in decent condition with a messed up case (feet cut for a Gameboy Player, scratches on the front, etc.), and one that has a pretty decent case but the insides are cracked up to heck. The project I'm doing is transplanting the Qs to make one decent looking working one. He also had a Qoob Pro that he'd want me to install, but he could not find the ribbon cable for the USB dongle.

I've modded my GC with a Qoob Pro before, so I'm no stranger to it (albeit I installed that thing about 9 years ago), but it's been a while since I've flashed mine with anything. I'd want to install Swiss on it and be done, but saw THIS THREAD, but no further information about burning Swiss to DVD and updating the Qoob that way. There's no BBA that I can use and, again, no ribbon cable for the USB dongle. Stopping short of opening my GC just to flash the Qoob Pro, is there anything else that can be done?

Also, and I'm at risk of sounding like a broken record, where would the lid switch for the Qoob Pro go? Has anyone figured that out yet?

Thanks, all!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Panasonic Q and Qoob Pro questions...

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:34 am

Hardwire the USB dongle.

Don't connect the lidswitch at all, don't close loop it either. The lidswitch is used to skip a DVD Reset to make disc spin up faster, that's all.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:08 am

goombakid wrote: I've modded my GC with a Qoob Pro before, so I'm no stranger to it (albeit I installed that thing about 9 years ago), but it's been a while since I've flashed mine with anything. I'd want to install Swiss on it and be done, but saw THIS THREAD, but no further information about burning Swiss to DVD and updating the Qoob that way. There's no BBA that I can use and, again, no ribbon cable for the USB dongle. Stopping short of opening my GC just to flash the Qoob Pro, is there anything else that can be done?
Nothing new on my end since that topic, DVD is a no go for the time being.
I'm not sure about flashing it with a BBA.
looney bin jim

Post by looney bin jim » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:12 pm

If you mail me your Qoob Pro I will flash it for you free of charge. I have decent feedback on here and assembler if u are worried about my credibility. Pm me if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goombakid

Post by goombakid » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:13 pm

looney bin jim wrote:If you mail me your Qoob Pro I will flash it for you free of charge. I have decent feedback on here and assembler if u are worried about my credibility. Pm me if interested
I think I'm good. I may just open up my Gamecube just to get to the USB ribbon and take it from there. Thanks, though.

Seeing that it's been a while since I flashed my Qoob, so here's some n00bish questions.

1. Does the flashing program work with Windows 98 SE? I have a notebook that I'm using specifically for an old Gameboy flashcard (Parallel ports, FTW!), and since I haven't used it for several months, I'm not sure if I had 98SE or XP on it.

2. If I'm to flash Swiss to it, I just put the compressed .DOL in the first block, correct? I'm kinda ashamed of myself since I remember writing up a Qoob Pro beginners tutorial several years ago, and I remember deleting it because the site I had it on was going to crap, so thanks for not ripping on me. :oops: :mrgreen:
looney bin jim

Post by looney bin jim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:26 pm

1)I have only used win 7 myself...2) The qoob pro is a usb flash only device..3) you have to use the compressed version of Swiss built for qoob/viper chips

:)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:41 am

check out the "SWISS_FILE_DESCRIPTIONS.txt" included in the swiss download package....it will let you know which version to use for qoob
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image