Burned Discs Make the Drive Noisy (XenoGC) - Is This Normal?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
SnoopKatt

Burned Discs Make the Drive Noisy (XenoGC) - Is This Normal?

Post by SnoopKatt » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:42 pm

About a month ago, I installed a XenoGC in my Gamecube, but I haven't had much time to actually play it until recently (other than to verify it boots burned discs). It pretty much seems to work as advertised, as burned media seems to play and they don't give me DRE's, but one thing I noticed is that compared to my original GC games, the GC is much noisier when trying to read my burned discs. The loading times don't seem longer compared to my originals (I did a side-by-side of Metroid Prime), but I hear lots of clicking and such from the drive when it reads burned discs. A few things that are probably important to note:
1. I'm using these Fujifilm 8cm DVD-R's for burning ISOs: http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-25302410 ... 0002MQ75S/
2. I'm burning everything at 4x with ImgBurn, as my drive unfortunately cannot burn at a slower speed.
3. I have not adjusted the potentiometer at any point (I'm the original owner of the GC so I am confident about this)

Is the extra drive noise normal? Should I adjust the potentiometer?

Thanks in advance!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Burned Discs Make the Drive Noisy (XenoGC) - Is This Normal?

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:56 am

Clicking around = you're about to see your first DRE very soon. Adjust the pot, it sounds like the laser is losing sync a lot and having to recalibrate.
SnoopKatt

Post by SnoopKatt » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:29 am

Gotcha, that sounds logical. Thanks! It'll probably be a while before I get to take a look at it, but I definitely want to get it fixed, so I'll report back with the results :)
SnoopKatt

Post by SnoopKatt » Fri May 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Ok, changing it from 200 to 110 ohms seems to make it as quiet as a factory disc, and no slamming either. Thanks!