Gamecube Modchip options in 2017

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
muramasa

Gamecube Modchip options in 2017

Post by muramasa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 am

So I have spent the last few hours looking into options for Gamecube modchips. My original goal was to be able to have a Wii dvd drive and a drive replacement (wode/wiikeyfusion/waspfusion) and be able to boot straight into Swiss and use. However I'm finding that a lot of the modchip options are no longer available. I figured I would do a quick summary of what I am aware of and then if there is something I'm missing that someone can hopefully share.

Qoob and ViperGC: IPL Replacement chip hard to come by.

TMBINC concept: So TMBINC seems to have originally pioneered the concept of the IPL replacement modchip. There are still schematics and vhdl files so it could be modified to load swiss to contain the latest version of swiss with an update mechanism.

Drive Replacements. WODE is what I was originally planning on, but it's been unavailable for quite a while. The WiiKey Fusion and Wasp Fusion were available recently but they seem to have completely disappeared now. I don't think there are any comparable options. The only thing that I think might be comparable storage wise would be a IDE-EXI.

Drive Chips:XenoGC is available but I figured I would find something that I can attach to the wii drive and works for gamecube audio streaming.

Any thoughts?
theclaw

Re: Gamecube Modchip options in 2017

Post by theclaw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:58 am

This recent post might help.
Leepixx wrote:I really don't see any problem in buying a Wiikey Fusion...

http://www.modchips24.com/product_info. ... chip-.html

http://activated24.com/products/en/Wii- ... 87b6ead943
One thing I'm not sure about, is if there's a mod to make wii drives read DVD-R discs when used on a gamecube.
The obvious problem is the chassis. Has anybody made a Gamecube shell big enough to fit a wii drive and look good?

It's also possible with modification to use Wiikey Fusion and Wasp Fusion on a gamecube drive. The Megadrive versions are kits to do that, if you can find them.
schooluser

Post by schooluser » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 pm

theclaw wrote:This recent post might help.
One thing I'm not sure about, is if there's a mod to make wii drives read DVD-R discs when used on a gamecube.
The obvious problem is the chassis. Has anybody made a Gamecube shell big enough to fit a wii drive and look good?

It's also possible with modification to use Wiikey Fusion and Wasp Fusion on a gamecube drive. The Megadrive versions are kits to do that, if you can find them.
Yeah, there are still shells floating around but people aren't selling them cheap... ebay.com/itm/122647451398?

Personally I'm looking for a couple of QoobPRO chips, because that gives you the best of both worlds. Like a WiiKey or Wasp Fusion you can run stuff from SD card, and you can run burned disks, and you can run homebrew.

If anyone has a couple for sale please let me know.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:51 am

Those shells allow 12cm discs to be used on a gamecube drive.
I was saying I wasn't aware of a shell compatible with the 12cm front-loading wii drive
ohmiomy

Post by ohmiomy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:17 am

If I have to choose between Xeno or Viper modchip, which one should I choose for a greater durability of the disc reader and the console?
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:02 am

You can flash iplboot to the viper and never need your laser again. If you're planning to use burned discs, then they're all about the same.