XEN8GC install issues

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Post Reply
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:09 pm

I recently ordered a XEN8GC Clone modchip from ebay and when i went to install it the two red leds blink infinitely as shown here.Image Here is my install (will take better photos if needed) Image

Since then i double checked my solder points to ensure nothing was bridged or touching and adjusted the solder. Am i doing anything wrong here?
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 pm

And i did order this chip from china on ebay since there are no popular resellers anymore (thwre are a lot more listings as well so i can keep ordering from different people if nessecary.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4375
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 am

What does the drive do, does it keep resetting? The lights generally blink when it resets the drive and attempts to upload the patch code.

I'd check the soldering against the wired version solder points (have a search on the forum here for that installation picture).
Image
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:19 am

emu_kidid wrote:What does the drive do, does it keep resetting? The lights generally blink when it resets the drive and attempts to upload the patch code.

I'd check the soldering against the wired version solder points (have a search on the forum here for that installation picture).
The drive works as if the modchip isnt there. The chip just blinks very fast continously. It is the clone so both leds are red and blinking.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4375
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:35 am

Slex989 wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:What does the drive do, does it keep resetting? The lights generally blink when it resets the drive and attempts to upload the patch code.

I'd check the soldering against the wired version solder points (have a search on the forum here for that installation picture).
The drive works as if the modchip isnt there. The chip just blinks very fast continously. It is the clone so both leds are red and blinking.
Yeah, sounds like a connectivity issue.
Image
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Image

Image

Here are some better pictures from after i checked the points.
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Okay after severe resoldering over and over im convinced this chip is defective. All it does is blink. Is it even possible i was sold a fake?

Image

This is what it looks like now,(probably gonna take it off and do wired approach before throwing it out)
User avatar
Streetwalker
Posts: 1651
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 am
Location: Israel

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Streetwalker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Try desoldering it and installing it again but with wires. Some people have had success with that.
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm

About that.... i dont have desoldering braid and this is all i could remove...
Image is it possible to just solder to the alternate points while its attached?
User avatar
Streetwalker
Posts: 1651
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 am
Location: Israel

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Streetwalker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm

You can try but I wouldn't recommend it. You should just buy some solder wick and flux, that stuff is always useful.
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Okay so i desoldered the chip (no idea how intact it is and i was nanometers away from bridging a pin to the chip) Image
and replaced it with a wired install.Image Going to test later today
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:53 pm

Connected it again and it still didnt work ;-;
Image
This is the blinking led for reference(the one on the right) and everything connected as shown. Do i have a bad modchip?
User avatar
boredomca
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:32 am
Location: USA

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by boredomca » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:54 pm

I don't know why but I have some drives that just will not accept the XENO clone chips from China. Have taken them out and they work on other drives so I'm at a loss on this. I plan on testing on the alternative install points on the other side of the drive as I recommend you should try if cleaning the lense with 99 percent alcohol on a Q-Tip and adjusting the potentiometer to 183 doesn't work.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4375
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:13 am

boredomca wrote:I don't know why but I have some drives that just will not accept the XENO clone chips from China. Have taken them out and they work on other drives so I'm at a loss on this. I plan on testing on the alternative install points on the other side of the drive as I recommend you should try if cleaning the lense with 99 percent alcohol on a Q-Tip and adjusting the potentiometer to 183 doesn't work.
It's possible there are clones which were made by just sniffing the protocol on a particular drive model so they'll only ever work on the same drive model. World be cool to confirm that though. You're better off making a clone.
Image
User avatar
Streetwalker
Posts: 1651
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 am
Location: Israel

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Streetwalker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm

The atmega doesn't know nor care about the drive version, the payload itself handles everything.
User avatar
boredomca
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:32 am
Location: USA

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by boredomca » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm thinking it's a resistance issue with a lead somewhere on the board to the soldering points for the chip as I have 10 model 1's now and the chip doesn't work for 2 of them. I'm thinking of trying a different 3v or even a 5v to check for slight power loss somewhere else but I've heard of the alternative install points on the other side of the board that has amazing success.
We can not rule out bad chip though unless you have another drive to test on because I've had 1 bad chip so far
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:41 am

So it turns out the china clone i had wasnt flashed. After using the xenoflasher.dol with the chip grounded then ungrounding while power was on fixed the issue and now the xen8 chip functions fone on latest fw! No more blinking! While i was at it i transplanted my entire DOL-001 into the DOL-101 case i had and now it looks pretty damn good ^-^ ill secure the solder points with hot glue at some point if they come undone but for now it works fine :3

Here is the finished ulticube ^-^
http://imgur.com/a/fJ51s2v

And i have also attached the flasher i used to make it work :p
Attachments
xenoflash.1.05.dol.zip
(110.66 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4375
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:13 am

Slex989 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:41 am
So it turns out the china clone i had wasnt flashed. After using the xenoflasher.dol with the chip grounded then ungrounding while power was on fixed the issue and now the xen8 chip functions fone on latest fw! No more blinking! While i was at it i transplanted my entire DOL-001 into the DOL-101 case i had and now it looks pretty damn good ^-^ ill secure the solder points with hot glue at some point if they come undone but for now it works fine :3

Here is the finished ulticube ^-^
http://imgur.com/a/fJ51s2v

And i have also attached the flasher i used to make it work :p
Nice work, that's pretty sad that they hadn't flashed it, or it was running an older (perhaps non final code) version that didn't support your drive.
Image
Slex989
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: XEN8GC install issues

Post by Slex989 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:55 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:13 am
Slex989 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:41 am
So it turns out the china clone i had wasnt flashed. After using the xenoflasher.dol with the chip grounded then ungrounding while power was on fixed the issue and now the xen8 chip functions fone on latest fw! No more blinking! While i was at it i transplanted my entire DOL-001 into the DOL-101 case i had and now it looks pretty damn good ^-^ ill secure the solder points with hot glue at some point if they come undone but for now it works fine :3

Here is the finished ulticube ^-^
http://imgur.com/a/fJ51s2v

And i have also attached the flasher i used to make it work :p
Nice work, that's pretty sad that they hadn't flashed it, or it was running an older (perhaps non final code) version that didn't support your drive.
I would say this but it seems like that wasnt the case as i did my third install on a DOL-001 Drive rather than the 101 drive and after the successful install i just transplanted the entire unit and now ive hotglued it so it should be a permanent install. Its still working beautifully as of today.
Image
Post Reply