No Audio after XenoGC install

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Swizzler

No Audio after XenoGC install

Post by Swizzler » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Hi, hoping someone can help me with this. I just installed a XenoGC modchip to one of my gamecubes, and it appears to have worked, it flashed red then amber, then I was able to load backed-up games, but since the first boot after installing the chip, I have no audio (even at boot with no disk inserted). I've checked my setup with my stock gamecube and the audio still works with those cables, and audio worked fine on my modded gamecube prior to the hack. I've searched around and not seen this listed as a common issue. Hoping someone here can help!

EDIT: looking again I can't tell if the light is amber or red, its about the same color as the gamecube light. does it stay amber after the first flash? i'm assuming it's working because I can play backup disks that wouldn't load before.

EDIT 2: A bit more info, It's a wired install on the primary xenoGC spots, just soldering wires to the board then sliding the board on and soldering the wires to the board. Here's a photo, it's not pretty, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. If I need to de-and re-solder it I will, but want to make sure it's not something simple I'm overlooking first.
Spoiler
Show
noobcube

Re: No Audio after XenoGC install

Post by noobcube » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:54 am

Although I don't know all of the intricacies, it doesn't seem to me that a XenoGC installed on the drive board could have an effect on the audio output (which is on the main PCB). If the GC is booting backups, that proves that the XenoGC is working properly. Perhaps the cause of the lack of audio is elsewhere, as in something else damaged during installation? Did you confirm that the audio worked before installing the modchip?

If you decide to remove the chip during troubleshooting, be extremely careful because it is extremely easy to lift the traces underneath.
Swizzler

Post by Swizzler » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Yeah, I know it worked before, played it for several hours after I initially repaired it before installing the modchip. I did a wired install so I should be able to desolder it without lifting the traces, but yeah, I assumed there was no audio issue that could happen on that board.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:22 am

Are you using good quality solder and soldering iron?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 am

There's no way the xeno is doing anything to your audio, you most likely damaged your mainboard while poking around inside the gamecube.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 pm

I was thinking if the quality of material solder/soldering iron is poor then maybe there would be a stray solder bead somewhere on the board. I see it all the time in botched mods. Or his media sucks
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Audio is read the same way as code and data, there's an issue with his audio hardware.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Yup. Maybe a stray solder bead is causing a short in the audio somewhere. "Solder spatters"