WASP Custom from BAC seemingly non-working

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
ReWrite

WASP Custom from BAC seemingly non-working

Post by ReWrite » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Hopefully someone here can tell me that I'm the issue and the item is fine!

I bought a WASP back in July, got it in September, tried to install it two weekends back. It does not seem to work. It just boots up to the "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." screen. My gamecube works fine when I replace the original disc drive, and back to the error screen when I put the WASP back in.

I've tried half a dozen different brands of SD card, all formatted properly in FAT32, ranging in sizes from 4GB to 64GB. I've tried each of the four dipswitch settings found in the wiki and they make no difference it seems. I have a US Gamecube with the digital out port.
ReWrite

Re: WASP Custom from BAC seemingly non-working

Post by ReWrite » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Managed to get hold of another, already modded Gamecube to try and re-flash the firmware on the WASP.

This is the screen i get after loading the FZN file from an SD gecko while the WASP is installed https://imgur.com/a/LPn962Y

The red LED is solid on the device, and the gamecube goes unresponsive. I've left it on for over an hour, so I'm positive it's not just me being impatient.

When selecting the WiiKey Fusion option instead of the SD Gecko it says "No SD card inserted" even if there is, and the red LED on the device goes out after it checks for SD card. I've tried a dozen or so different cards, tried exFAT and FAT32. All of them work in the SD Gecko, but not in the WASP it seems (which may be because it needs the FW re-flashed).
ReWrite

Post by ReWrite » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:45 am

Well, at 4 months with no ideas from the forum or BAC, I'm going to assume I was just sold a dud and there's nothing to do about it. Super disappointed in both the product and the company that sold it to me.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 pm

The devices were thoroughly tested before shipping. If it's not working then we can only assume that you've done something wrong like plugging it in incorrectly, which could have damaged the FPGA by feeding 5V into fragile IO pins. You can confirm this by running the attached dol. Swap the wasp in BEFORE booting it, then press A when prompted. If it hangs forever, it's dead. If it prints a response, post a clear, readable picture of the output.
By the way, as of today, it's only been 3 months since your first post here.
Attachments
wasptest.zip
(68.39 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
ReWrite

Post by ReWrite » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 pm
The devices were thoroughly tested before shipping. If it's not working then we can only assume that you've done something wrong like plugging it in incorrectly, which could have damaged the FPGA by feeding 5V into fragile IO pins. You can confirm this by running the attached dol. Swap the wasp in BEFORE booting it, then press A when prompted. If it hangs forever, it's dead. If it prints a response, post a clear, readable picture of the output.
By the way, as of today, it's only been 3 months since your first post here.
I'll try your suggestion, and I appreciate that it was tested, but how it is today is how I received it months ago. Suggesting I've plugged it in wrong somehow is honestly just silly. Look at how the device is designed. It cannot be plugged in any way except correctly.

https://imgur.com/a/Yts2U5R?fbclid=IwAR ... 8kQdwt-psc

My apologies for the math. I'd counted months (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb) rather than time passed.

I'll be back with the results from your test.
Last edited by ReWrite on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReWrite

Post by ReWrite » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:53 pm

It just hangs.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 pm

I'm well aware of how it's designed, but it's happened before. It's also possible that you didn't push it in all the way, leaving the connector inserted at an angle which can cause a wrong connection. At any rate, I know mega tends to be anal with testing and packages things well, in antistatic bags, so the likelihood of it being his fault is very low.
ReWrite wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:53 pm
It just hangs.
Then there's nothing I can do for you, sorry.
ReWrite

Post by ReWrite » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 pm
I'm well aware of how it's designed, but it's happened before. It's also possible that you didn't push it in all the way, leaving the connector inserted at an angle which can cause a wrong connection. At any rate, I know mega tends to be anal with testing and packages things well, in antistatic bags, so the likelihood of it being his fault is very low.
ReWrite wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:53 pm
It just hangs.
Then there's nothing I can do for you, sorry.
The likelihood of it being my fault is also very low. I've plugged thousands of things in in my life, from ribbon cables to eproms to all manner of connectors, and chances of my not having pushed each side down several times until I knew it was snug are next to zero as well.

Sometimes things just don't work. Sometimes you get a bum component that burns out on its 4th use. Sometimes the crazies at the post office throw something across the room just the wrong way. Things happen, that are often out of anyone's control, and it's silly to think that being anal about testing somehow makes it nigh on impossible that it arrived DOA.

I'm not trying to worry about blame, I just want the thing I paid for to actually work, that's all.

And I honestly appreciate your trying to help and sending me that file.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Just to make sure, you did have an SD card in the wasp when you ran that test right?
ReWrite

Post by ReWrite » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:45 pm
Just to make sure, you did have an SD card in the wasp when you ran that test right?
I did not. I was unaware that it needed to be in there for the test to run properly.

I'll give it a try again in a little bit here with one in there.
ReWrite

Post by ReWrite » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Gave it a try with the SD card in the WASP, no luck still. Was worth a shot!
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 pm

ReWrite wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 pm
I did not. I was unaware that it needed to be in there for the test to run properly.
If you don't have a card in there, the wasp will try to enable passthrough mode, which won't work since you don't have a real drive on the other side.