Qoob Chip General Questions

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
BigRobotBil

Qoob Chip General Questions

Post by BigRobotBil » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 am

I'm thinking about picking up a chip for my Gamecube. I want something so I don't have to really burn anything or swap discs. I've been reading up about the Qoob SX chip, and it seems to fit what I need. However, I have a few questions regarding it:

1.) Will I be able to store a program (like Swiss) on it that I'll be able to access at boot up?

2.) Is it a recommend chip? As in, is it good and worth the money? (Eurasia has it for $35. Anyone know of other places that sell it?)

3.) The Qoob chip can access an SD card, that means the SD Gecko, correct?

4.) The SX variant isn't upgradeable via USB, but instead by network. So, I assume that to put any program on it, I need to hook it up through my network to do so? (I do have a BBA)

5.) Does the program for the Qoob chip work fine on Windows 7/Vista?

I'm waiting for the day that my Action Replay breaks, and instead of tracking another one of those down, I thought it'd be easy to put a chip in my 'Cube.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Qoob Chip General Questions

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:32 am

1. Not on a Qoob SX - I never wrote a flasher because if it bricks, it bricks (and they're too rare to try it out now).
2. It's alright, but I'd hunt down the Qoob Pro.
3. No, no modchips can access the SD card slot. But you can make a bootable swiss disc and boot that. But if you're going to do that, you might as well just get a XenoGC.
4. Upgradeable by BBA they simply mean you can send a .ELF file to it (only when the Qoob BIOS is running) which will upgrade it to the latest version - or you can do it via DVD-R
5. The program for the Qoob Chip you don't use on the SX version, only the PRO version to flash plugins to it's larger flash memory.
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:08 am

Yeah, get a Qoob Pro or Viper GC Extreme if you can. You need one of those two in order to store sizeable homebrew programs on the chip.
BigRobotBil

Post by BigRobotBil » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Alright, thanks everyone. So, it seems that it'd be easier to simply get a xenoGC and burn a disc to boot everything off of (I don't want to spend too much on one of these things).

Is Eurasia the only place that still sells Gamecube modchips? (other than gc-forever's stock of xenos) Are there any American distributers?
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:28 pm

There are a few other places. I don't know off the top of my head. Just google and you'll find them. I think there are a few places listed in these forums if you search here.