Swiss on Wii Modchips?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Undead Sega

Swiss on Wii Modchips?

Post by Undead Sega » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi everyone!

Hope you're still keeping safe during these times!

This crossed my mind recently and did a bit of reading here and there, but I recently discovered that Wii Modchips such as the Wiikey fusion was compatible with the Gamecube (shouldn't be much of a surprise to be honest), it's clone, D2CKey and it's other variants, therefore it has gotten me wondering, is it possible to technically "flash" Swiss onto the modchip?

I know it's been discussed before (and probably tired of me bringing it up now and then) for the Viper and Qoob, but can it be done for these chips and be able boot straight off it without requiring an SD card?? :?:

Stay safe still! ;)
Undead Sega

Re: Swiss on Wii Modchips?

Post by Undead Sega » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 am

Anyone at all may I ask?

And as silly as this may sound, could any modchip with flashing abilities (like the Modbo for PS2) can be used as a substitute by any chance??
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:52 am

If by "flash" you mean write a boot.iso from Swiss, then yes, probably, assuming that's what those mods used to do in order to show a menu to the user.

If they're not Wiikey Fusion clones then they themselves wouldn't be readable/usable by Swiss and you'd have to use other read methods such as SD cards via the Memory Card slot(s). At this stage, I strongly recommend against using Swiss on a Wii, it's not supported and not really tested either.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 pm

I think the OP was asking about flashing SWISS on the Wii modchip to use on a GC, as there already are some ways to use gamecube games on the Wii that don't need a chip anymore (USBloader GX, Nintendon't, SWISS menu forwarder…).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Then in that case, sure. As long as it makes the GameCube protocol happy enough it should work. I know FlatMii and sundriver came close to working but those are super hard to find anyway and if you did you're better off using them on the Wii for fun rather than the GameCube where they may or may not work.
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:49 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:52 am
If by "flash" you mean write a boot.iso from Swiss, then yes, probably, assuming that's what those mods used to do in order to show a menu to the user.

If they're not Wiikey Fusion clones then they themselves wouldn't be readable/usable by Swiss and you'd have to use other read methods such as SD cards via the Memory Card slot(s). At this stage, I strongly recommend against using Swiss on a Wii, it's not supported and not really tested either.
Papy.G wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 pm
I think the OP was asking about flashing SWISS on the Wii modchip to use on a GC, as there already are some ways to use gamecube games on the Wii that don't need a chip anymore (USBloader GX, Nintendon't, SWISS menu forwarder…).
emu_kidid wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:18 pm
Then in that case, sure. As long as it makes the GameCube protocol happy enough it should work. I know FlatMii and sundriver came close to working but those are super hard to find anyway and if you did you're better off using them on the Wii for fun rather than the GameCube where they may or may not work.
I was talking about having it on a Gamecube (but wouldn't mind if it were to work on a Wii console too). However, ideally on a Panasonic Q too.

But yes, but like you said about the FlatMii (which I never heard of before) the WiiKey Fusion and its clones are very hard to come by (believe it's discontinued?) thus I was wondering if it would be done to its predecessors and variants (D2CKey and etc.).

Additionally, could the same be said if it were to be done on a PS2 modchip (ModBo, Matrix Infinity or M-7). I mean, if you are flashing the chip with different software, surely that would then operate whatever code is in it, right?
Please do correct if I am wrong!
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:18 am

A microcontroller, (or cpld) that is at the heart of what we call a "chip", is essentially designed to do whatever you want it to do.
So provided it is powerfully enough for the task (fast, enough memory, needed peripherals and io), as long as you wire it the right way, give it the appropriate code for it to work on the target console, the appropriate payload for the target console, you can virtually use any on any console.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:24 pm

You mention D2CKey and the like, those "simpler" mods only inject code into the DVD drive controller via a backdoor to allow backup discs to be read, they're essentially smarter versions of the XenoGC so won't really fit what you're asking for here.