Swiss on GC with Viper Extreme

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
liquitt

Re: Swiss on GC with Viper Extreme

Post by liquitt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:10 pm

viper + swiss integrated....i dont think anyone did that. the goal is to have a working swiss flashed to the memory of the vipergc...seems to be the same problem everywhere :/
(glad it's not just me though)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:19 am

I am going to try it shortly, shouldn't be anything big, I'm pretty sure I know what it is too..
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:47 pm

Nice to hear that! I'm lookin forward :D
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:47 am

I think this should work:
create viperheader.bin (look in YAGCD on how to make it)
encrypt swiss.dol with hexworkshop (with the gamecube XOR key ofcourse, I guess emu probably has it)
copy /b "viperheader.bin"+"swissencrypted" swiss.vgc

This is what I did, but it didn't work:
doltool -b swiss.dol swiss.bin
copy /b binload.bin+swiss.bin swiss.vgc
flashed it
black screen
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:47 pm

different entrypoint and loadaddr thats why those attempts failed
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:05 am

The first method was just theoretical, but I try changing the entry points, just set all to 8130000?
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:43 pm

So are there any update on this? I tried to flash the latest SWISS dol on my Viper GC Extreme yesterday and it hangs at Loading DOL file. I flashed GCOS right after that and it boots everytime. I read the 5 pages of this thread but it seems no one can clearly state that they succeeded. I don't think it's my setup : Windows XP NetBook with original driver and a short shielded USB cable.

SWISS seem to be a really nice tool! My DVD drive is currently dead but I ordered a WiiKey SD adapter along with a 16GB SDHC card. Running my backups from it could be great to reduce the stress on my future laser.
infact

Post by infact » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:33 pm

No there is no update yet.

Some summarized points:

Problem: The swiss executable downloaded from googlecode does not work with Viper / Extreme.
Reason: The cobra bios uses a special way of booting dol files. Newly created executables are not compatible with it.
Workaround: Add a cobra compatible loader to the executable with "dollz -v".

Problem: The swiss executable downloaded from googlecode does not work with "dollz -v".
Reason: The executable is already compressed with dollz and when it is recompressed strange things happen (overwriting itself in memory for example).
Solution: Use a uncompressed executable with "dollz -v".

Problem: The swiss executable can not be flashed on the viper as a plugin.
Reason: It is too big.
Workaround: Use a loader program as plugin to boot swiss, i.e. SDLOAD or a dedicated loader (Maybe I will release one in the future).

Problem: The swiss executable downloaded from googlecode does not work as bios on Viper / Extreme.
Reason: It is not compiled to run from the specific memory address the viper wants it to and other changes have to be made in the source code. Also the size might be an issue.
Solution: Currently none.

But despite of that, it is working from the flash file system. As said here.
Jaecus wrote:
infact wrote:No problems here with swiss on viper extreme...

Try the attached dol out. It's the r52 compressed with dollz3, viper flag enabled.
Wow yes. I realised my brother has xp pc so I tried cobra manager and added this dol.. it worked ! :D

r52 though :shock: ... tomorrow's world, today.

Just try to add the attached dol to your ffs with cobramanager.

EDIT: ---> uploaded a viper compatible swiss r62, after testing it with my viper extreme ;-)
Attachments
swiss-r62-viper.zip
swiss r62 for viper extreme
(605.31 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Last edited by infact on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infact
Image Image
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Nice thanks for the explanation. If we were to compile our own executable, would the resulting .dol file be already compressed?
infact

Post by infact » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:18 pm

No.
infact
Image Image
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:52 am

Is the viper thingy now as a Plugin or via flashfilesystem? And thanks I'll try it out later today :)
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:47 pm

infact wrote:No.
So technically we could just take the uncompressed freshly compiled binary and compress it with dollz to make it work with the Viper GC.

It sounds too simple to work that way. There is probably a catch somewhere, or else it would have been done some time ago right?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:53 pm

It is that simple, just compress it with the -v flag. Viper GC Extreme we're talking about, for a Viper GC (not extreme) you'd need to write a secondary loader for it which would fit in the flash (40kb or so).
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi, I've been trying to compile SWISS from SVN but the wiki instructions on googlecode are kinda not clear for me...

I can build the READpatch.s file fine, it's what do I do with it that is not clear.

Do I overwrite the corresponding ".s" file in the SWISS sources? Do I copy the data array of the freshly compiled READpatch.s file and overwrite the data array in the corresponding ".s" file I just compiled READpatch.s for?

I would really like to install SWISS as a plug-in for my ViperGC Extreme and run stuff from the memory card port B!

Thanks
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:24 pm

i compiled it 2 weeks ago to include a customized cheats.qch - man i hate it to scrolll through the complete cheat list ;-)

i did not experience any problems. please post your output. i will compile the latest build during the next weekend including the full cheats.qch and will post it on this forum if you are still not able to compile it yourself

emu_kidid: maybe that's a good feature to implement, some faster browsing abilities for the cheats. or maybe it could be possible to auto-select the cheats with the correct name?
Image DOL-001 EUR Viper GC Extreme | Image DOL-001 EUR Wiikey Fusion or Wode? (soon)
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:42 pm

My question is what do I exactly do with the 4 READpatch.s files I compile prior to the compiling of the executable? Do I overwrite the 4 SlotA-SD.s, SlotB-SD.s, SlotA-HDD.s and SlotB-HDD.s with the fresly 4 compiled ".s" files or do I open up those and copy the data array to the destination?

Are these steps necessary to use a SD card on memory port B?
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:49 pm

these are not necessary. compiled files are already included in the source.
Image DOL-001 EUR Viper GC Extreme | Image DOL-001 EUR Wiikey Fusion or Wode? (soon)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 pm

sakamoto, it should already attempt to go to the closest matching file name in the cheats menu.. also if you have a .QCH file on a device it can be loaded as your current cheat file.

psyko_chewbacca, instructions are slightly outdated, but those file are 100% of the time already provided in the desired location so you don't have to worry about them.

new build is coming soon so please don't release any unofficial builds until I finish the "polished" version.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks for the help! Basically I just need to hit make and everything should go smoothly?

Also, on your release of Swiss, will you make a version especially for us Viper GC users? Thanks!
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Got it to compile and made it work! Wouldn't compile dol.c on my x86 linux system (Linux Mint 12) but it did with my Mac Os X (10.6.7).

For everyone attempting this, you will need to replace the linker script in your devkitPPC install and also compile and overwrite de libfrag library, both provided with the sources. The other steps on the wiki on googlecode are not necessary.

Swiss is booting fine from Viper GC Extreme. Got a little bit of overscan I think. I have a NTSC-U IPL 1.0 system if that helps.

Thanks for the app emu_kidid, tried a few games of the SD and it seems to work great.
_Nold_

Post by _Nold_ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:04 pm

I made swiss working on my VGC:E using Dollz... I don't like the plugin feature because it's not fast enoth, you are much faster if you put it on the flash of the VGC and then use the X-Button to open the file-browser :) This is how i do it...
| DOL-001 (EUR) Indigo | WKF Plug'n'Play Diskdrive Replacement | BBA |
| Internalised: WaveBird, Keyboard Adapter, MemoryCard, SD-Adapter |

| DOL-001 (EUR) | >> First Gamecube Portable - Worklog
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeah did a similar setup. Just uploaded the .dol to the flash filesystem of the chip and my GC boot straight to file browser. All I have to do is press A when GC boots up. I wish there was a way to auto-start the dol executable on boot!
M tha MaN

Post by M tha MaN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi guys.

I read the topic and with the attached file from a user some pages ago my Viper GC Ex boots now swiss, but it is still v0.1.

v0.2 (from here http://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/downloads/list) stucks on "running the dol"

Is there a "Viperbuild" of swiss 0.2 ?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 pm

try swiss-unpacked.dol from the r94 download you mentioned
M tha MaN

Post by M tha MaN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Cobra Manager says it's too big (want to start it from the internal flash of the viper)