Xeno GC problems

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
LOCtronicz

Xeno GC problems

Post by LOCtronicz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:45 am

I had one of those Xeno GC laying around and wanted to mod one of my cubes with it. After I install it it plays both pal and ntsc games but no backups. When I insert the backup the gamecube gives me an error. It won't even boot up. I rechecked the soldering and everything is connected right. It looks like it isn't initiating the disc. The green light goes on then after a couple of seconds it turns red. That's where the error comes up. I'm using full sized verbatim dvd's.

I already messed about with the pot that doesn't do anything. Any idea's?
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
yamaharacer

Re: Xeno GC problems

Post by yamaharacer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:15 am

what does the LED do while booting up without any dvd in the drive?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:46 pm

If the LED goes red->green->red it sounds like it has issues uploading the patch code to the DVD drive, or it does it successfully once but then it detects a "drive reset". Either it's a unknown drive (unlikely), or there is something weird occuring like voltage drop/etc when the full sized disc is spun up.
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Hmm the led goes red-green-red. I'm not sure what to do. I've tried another discdrive and on different cubes and get the same effect. Might the xeno gc not work correctly? I only had 1 laying around so that's why I'm using it. I never used it before though.

The laser also makes a clicking sound like it is trying to read a certain sector but it fails to do so every time. It constantly retries reading the same spot. I tried different media and different burn methods and all get the same result.

Has anybody else have this problem? What could I do?

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 pm

then the pot is still too low or too high, or the xeno may have been soldered wrong.
Try a wired install.
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:59 pm

ry with diferent dvd trademarks, for example memorex and ridata works perfect for me but verbatim or sony don't recognize
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Pot adjustment or Media brand do not appear to have anything to do with your LED switching back to RED..Im pretty certain based on my findings we can rule out these two possibilities...
1. ive tested my pot at various settings from 800ohms down to 250ohms...the LED will always stay green no matter if successful boot
2. ive tested various media types, blank discs, CDs, and even a linux distro install DVD just to monitor behavior..the LED will always stay green no matter if successful boot.

i have seen the LED jump from green to red, then green again as part of the resetting the drive but always ends up green in the end..
just a thought..
what is the LED status when playing official games?
would you be interested to try reflashing the software?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:10 pm

oh I totally forgot to mention if you have bad media the drive will attempt to reset itself, hence the red->green->red.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:45 am

My Xeno GC 2.0 goes from red to amber. Red never stays lit. Sounds like there might be a bad solder joint or other hardware issue.

Power and ground can likely be ruled out, as the LEDs are working, so that leaves the other connections as a possible source of the problem. Solder from point C can accidentally short to the next pad on CN302; this also can occur at P.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 am

amber (aka Orange) is normal for XenoGC 2.0 boards. If it goes red->orange, then it's fine, your cube must have issues with reading media.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:33 pm

emu_kidid wrote:amber (aka Orange) is normal for XenoGC 2.0 boards. If it goes red->orange, then it's fine, your cube must have issues with reading media.
Xeno GC 2.0's status OK indicator LED is sort of a yellow-orange (amber) instead of green on the older version. Mine goes red to amber and stays amber. Mine reads backups if the laser is adjusted properly.

The OP's Xeno GC seems to be going from red to green and then back to red again, which isn't normal, plus his Gamecube doesn't read backups at all. That's why I suggested that there may be a hardware problem (possibly soldering).
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Problem solved. Seems all the boards I had laying around were giving problems. Just cracked open another gamecube I had installed it and everything is working fine. Still sttange it wasn't workibg but yeah it's all good now. Thanks for the help.