XenoGC, Qoob, Wiikey ...

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
andzlay

XenoGC, Qoob, Wiikey ...

Post by andzlay » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:55 am

I read that in a xbox360 review:
The xK3y (also known as xKey, x360Key and XKey360) is the first optical disc drive emulator for the Xbox 360. The guys behind the Wiikey Team (known for Wiikey (Wii), D2Pro (Wii), D2CKey (Wii), HDMIKey (Wii), XenoGC (Gamecube), Qoob Pro (GameCube), Crystal Chip (PS2)) designed the hardware itself, the software comes from the developer TheArtificer who is responsible for the software aspect of the WODE (Wii Optical Drive Emulator) and many other hacks.
Source: http://www.modcontrol.com/Board/xbox-36 ... glish.html

I didn't know that! That's the reason why the xenogc was also called qooblite... And the wiikey team also invented the qoob and the xenogc :idea:

INTERESTING.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: XenoGC, Qoob, Wiikey ...

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 pm

There's kind of a blury line here that separates the Qoob and XenoGC.

XenoGC and Qoob had different authors but I believe they all went through the same hardware guy(s) which are the people behind the xk3y.

History:
1. Qoob is made as IPL replacement with its own drive code (based off of Cobra drivecode)
2. XenoGC is made as a Drive chip that runs a new drive code (based off of Qoob drivecode)

The XenoGC in its testing phase was using the Qoob Drivecode without any modifications I believe but then the author did some big improvements to it in terms of media readability and acceptability.
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:21 am

I've always been somewhat curious.

How does code effect media readability?
I thought that drivechips just said "Disc's legit, man." to the console. I can understand upping the re-load count in case of errors, but beyond that, I can't think of any other ways that it could help.

Could you shed some light on this?
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:05 am

Not sure how the code for backup reading differs between Viper GC Extreme and Xeno GC. I have tried custom drive settings in the Viper as well as GCOS. In practice, I have found that the Xeno GC is effectively transparent to use and noticeably more reliable reading a larger variety of discs. So, without knowing the specifics, I would say that it has better code for disc reading.
TPSNT

Post by TPSNT » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:37 am

If the XenoGC drive code is more reliable, would it be possible to use it as external drive code in Cobra?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:17 pm

TPSNT, probably, yes.

It's only more reliable in that it lowers the "acceptable" media level that the drive has to read a wider range of discs and types.

I.e. when the drive starts up, it will do a simple check of the reflectiveness/readability of the disc, the XenoGC tells it that far more media is considered readable and that it should continue to use it - this is why the XenoGC allows dvd-rw discs/etc to work.
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:09 pm

So with contacting these guys there would be a change we could get vhd code and source (of the qoob ofcourse)?
If so that would be awesome :D