YAOSM -> GC?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
SouLSLayeR

YAOSM -> GC?

Post by SouLSLayeR » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi there.

Firstly, I hope this thread doesn't belong here.

So, on topic: Could the YAOSM work on the gamecube?
Seeing that the wiikey can be reflashed into a XenoGC (ATmega8L - I know this is completely unrelated), I was wondering if something like that
could work in this case too.

(I guess that if it was so easy I would have already found some info though >_>)
infact

Re: YAOSM -> GC?

Post by infact » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:52 pm

first of all: why would you want to? all features are in the xenogc source code, which we have.
but besides that, sure you could, just have to rewrite some of the dvd code (could be a complete rewrite, not worth the efford)
infact
Image Image
SouLSLayeR

Post by SouLSLayeR » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Well, because I got some 12F629 lying around :D
and of course, because I'm curious.

dvd code huh?
I think I'll do some research :)
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:23 am

SouLSLayeR wrote:Well, because I got some 12F629 lying around :D
and of course, because I'm curious.

dvd code huh?
I think I'll do some research :)
The 12F629 could be used on a Gamecube. The YAOSM code, however, could not, at least not without some major changes.

BTW, I have YAOSM 3.2 with a D2B drive board and it works very well for Gamecube games. Unlike many other Wii modchips, YAOSM has no problem with audio streaming. I also have a XenoGC in my Gamecube, plus a Viper GC Extreme which isn't being used. The XenoGC is an excellent chip if all you want to do is play backups. I actually have an extra XenoGC, but am not sure if I want to try flashing it with Wiikey firmware, or maybe sell it at some point.
SouLSLayeR

Post by SouLSLayeR » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:40 am

Yeah, that's why I chose the YAOSM.

Though after some research/googling I just confirmed what you and infact stated; not worth it.
Just get an ATmega8 XD

Well the main objective was to make a PIC based modchip for the gc, and the easiest way seemed to be frankencopying one of the existing open wii modchips.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 am

SouLSLayeR wrote:Yeah, that's why I chose the YAOSM.

Though after some research/googling I just confirmed what you and infact stated; not worth it.
Just get an ATmega8 XD

Well the main objective was to make a PIC based modchip for the gc, and the easiest way seemed to be frankencopying one of the existing open wii modchips.
If a PIC works on the early Wii drives (DMS/D2A/D2B), there's no reason why a PIC wouldn't work on a Gamecube. The problem is in the software.

There are probably a few people out there who could easily convert YAOSM or Wiinja code to something compatible with the Gamecube. But those people would also be very familiar with both the Wii and Gamecube hardware and know exactly what needed to be changed in the code. For us mortals, that's just too much work when the XenoGC code is already available for Atmel. However, it could make for a challenging project to build/program your own PIC-based Gamecube modchip.....