CleanRip v2.0.0

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
emu_kidid
Site Admin

CleanRip v2.0.0

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:17 am

CleanRip
Author: emu_kidid

(taken from http://code.google.com/p/cleanrip/)

Create 1:1 backups of your GC/Wii discs for archival purposes without any requirements for custom IOS (cIOS).

Whatsnew in 2.0.0:
* GameCube version integrated into one codebase
* GX GUI
* Fix disc dumping on Wii U (Wii discs only of course)
* Fix ETA calculation on non GC discs
* Fix fatUnmount
* Stop larger than 4GB chunks on FAT FS
* Fix potential issue when read error occurs

Features:
* FAT32 / NTFS file system support
* USB 2.0 support
* Front SD Support
* Gamecube / Wii / Wii Dual layer disc dumping
* BCA ripping to disk
* File Splitting (1,2,3GB (or Maximum file size - only on NTFS))
* MD5/SHA-1/CRC32 sums saved to disk
* Redump.org in-program verification for known rips (hosted on gc-forever.com)

Example of dump information provided as of 2.0.0:

Code: Select all

--File Generated by CleanRip v2.0.0--

Filename: GMSP01
Internal Name: Super Mario Sunshine
MD5: 72C4860D8555D5E790628E348ABC244D
SHA-1: 26798080DE5E5C0F154915324C5C7DD6AA36056A
CRC32: 4C1D3641
Version: 1.00
Verified: Yes
Seconds: 545
FAQ:
Q. How do I use the redump.org verification to see if my rips are good?
A. There are two options to get this setup with CleanRip.
1. CleanRip can automatically download the redump.org DAT files if it is connected to the internet.
It will place two files gc.dat and wii.dat on the root of the device you're about to dump to.
OR
2. Go to http://www.redump.org, click on downloads and then download the
"Nintendo GameCube datfile" and the "Nintendo Wii datfile". Extract the .dat from the
zip archive and place them on the root of the device you will be dumping to.
They must be named gc.dat (Gamecube) and wii.dat (Wii), otherwise they will not be found.
Alternatively the GC/Wii can try to download them from local versions on gc-forever but these
may get outdated.

Q. CleanRip tells me that my dump is not verified, is this a bad rip?
A. It might be. To be sure, go to redump.org and have a look at the game you're trying to rip.
If it doesn't exist on redump.org, then feel free to sign up to the forum and submit
your rip checksum. If it does exist, then make sure you've turned off any Gamecube/Wii
region patching from your modchip and also that the disc is as clean as can be. It might
help to try ripping it on another wii if possible.

Q. What is "New Device per chunk" I see when entering my Wii settings?
This is useful to set to "No" when you're ripping a large game (>4GB) to a large enough
FAT32 formatted device. This way, it'll automatically split your file based on the chunk
size and will not prompt you to insert the next storage device for the next piece.

Web site:
http://code.google.com/p/cleanrip/

Cleanrip current version - Download
http://code.google.com/p/cleanrip/downloads/list
Attachments
cleanrip.png
(140.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Apache Thunder

Re: CleanRip v2.0.0

Post by Apache Thunder » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:21 am

I get a DSI error crash when attempting to have it download the redump file with the BBA I have. Is it because of the network config? My router is setup to accept 192.168.2.xx IP ranges. (since the gateway IP my router is set to is 192.168.2.1 so DHCP is setup to produce IPs in that range)

Perhaps your CleanRip app is hardcoded to something my router won't accept and it crashes

I have been able to dump an ISO direct to my computer with Swiss with the same network config. (GC is connected to router. My computer is connected to router. So the GC can be accessed by any machine connected to the router) Swiss also does not seem to allow altering IP settings. Thus it's able to auto detect. Perhaps CleanRip fails at auto detecting correct IP settings.

I would recommend allowing end users to customize IP settings otherwise they will have problems getting internet access to work.

Screenshot of error. (thanks to my awesome TV tuner. :D )

Also, I tried downloading the dat file manually and placing it on the root directory of the SD card...but it still prompts me asking to download it. Is my SD card formatted wrong? It's currently at FAT32 with 32KB cluster size. (it's a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card)

I did a successful dump to this card and the ISO ran fine in Dolphin. I'm planning on selling this game and thus wanted to use CleanRip to "check" the disc for errors so that I can gurantee that it's error free. But can't get the redump.org feature to work. :(
ImageImage
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:49 am

Apache Thunder wrote:I did a successful dump to this card and the ISO ran fine in Dolphin. I'm planning on selling this game and thus wanted to use CleanRip to "check" the disc for errors so that I can gurantee that it's error free. But can't get the redump.org feature to work. :(
Why can't you manually run md5sum/sha1sum on the ISO and check the result against the redump website?

Complicating things by adding manual network setup really shouldn't be necessary, who in their right mind runs a LAN without a DHCP server?
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I don't understand what you mean by the DHCP thing. The router has it enabled so I'm not running a lan without a DHCP server.....derp.... :P
ImageImage
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Right, so why would you "recommend allowing end users to customize IP settings otherwise they will have problems getting internet access to work"? The IP settings are obviously not the problem...
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Well it's a mute point now. I went ahead and let CleanRip go at ait again with the gc.dat file on root of device. Appearently it's still asking to download from redump.org because the Wii.dat file isn't present (I don't own a wii, so never bothered getting that one). But after it completes the dump it says it's been "verified" so it's safe to assume it was indeed able to access the gc.dat file and verify my dump. Though it's odd it gets a DSI crash when trying to use the download feature.

Perhaps redump.org altered the URLs to their dat files and CleanRip gets a 404 when it tries to download it? Perhaps no error checking for that and it just crashes with a DSI error?

By the way I was only suggesting possible features like customizable IP (and perhaps also customizable URL too). I was only going through what I thought was going wrong. I'm no expert programmer so of coarse it's possible I'm wrong. emu_kidid hasn't replied yet, so both of us know nothing about this problem right now....You acting like my posts are somehow offensive to you. I will not argue with you about this any further as my questions were directed at the developer of this program. This is just useless banter cluttering up his topic.
ImageImage
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:23 am

The BBA auto-download support is a hit and miss, for GameCube I would just manually download the files and place them there.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:42 am

Apache Thunder wrote:By the way I was only suggesting possible features like customizable IP (and perhaps also customizable URL too). I was only going through what I thought was going wrong. I'm no expert programmer so of coarse it's possible I'm wrong. emu_kidid hasn't replied yet, so both of us know nothing about this problem right now....You acting like my posts are somehow offensive to you. I will not argue with you about this any further as my questions were directed at the developer of this program. This is just useless banter cluttering up his topic.
FYI all the fixes listed under whatsnew (as well as most of the 1.05 changes) were contributed by me, so pull your head in with this "my questions were directed at the developer of this program" crap. This is a public discussion forum, if you're going to label responses from general members as useless banter then I suggest you stick to PMs.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:32 pm

I didn't know you had a part in this program. You didn't have an avatar so I didn't recognize you. I'm generally terrible at remembering names. If I did see your name in the readme files I probably didn't remember it. I saw a response to my post about DHCP settings and it seemed a bit condescending/sarcastic to me for reasons I didn't know, so my reflex was to push back on it. I guess it was a misunderstanding. Sorry about that. :(

Internet makes it hard to read other peoples intentions sometimes. :(
ImageImage
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:12 pm

If you use CleanRip to rip a dual layer wii iso, does it save (or set) the layer break information into the iso for IMGburn or nero to read and set when burning a backup of the iso? Rawdump with a pc drive seems to be having problems with dual layer (and the newest) wii games but I'm new to using CleanRip so I'm not sure if the layer break needs to be altered to a certain setting before burning or if CleanRip has embedded that number into the iso. Maybe this is more of a burning question than a CleanRip question.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:04 am

The wii hardware doesn't provide that information, nor is layer break position important for anything besides readers that work at 1x i.e. DVD players.
boozezela

Post by boozezela » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 am

Hi,

I am testing CleanRip 2.0 and I have noticed a small glitch: CleanRip complains when it doesn't find both gc.dat and wii.dat in the root of the SD card. This is fine when you run it using a Wii, a little puzzling when you are using a Gamecube.

In any case I am amazed by the increased speed. Thank you very much for your hard work.
Gamecube DOL-001 (EUR)
Viper GC Extreme + Cobra 2.1
SD Card Adapter
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:11 am

ripped discs from GC with Wii dvd drive thru a WASP Fusion
no complaints observed about the dat files not being on the card..
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
boozezela

Post by boozezela » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:57 am

On a GC I have deleted wii.dat from the SD card root and CleanRip immediately informed me that something was missing:
"Redump.org DAT files not found. Download them now?"

My point is that checking for the presence of both files on a GC is pointless because I cannot obviously use it to rip Wii games.
Gamecube DOL-001 (EUR)
Viper GC Extreme + Cobra 2.1
SD Card Adapter
albertocastillo2001

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Hello

I just decided to try this program to check if my GameCube is able to read my burned discs properly.
I tried 2 copies of The Wind Waker (one burnt at 2x and the other one burnt at 4x). The 2x one fails to read on some point (and the game gives a DRE as well). The 4x one is perfectly fine. The homebrew ISO I made tho has a dummy file to fill up to 1,35 GB and CleanRip failed to read the disc (actually I noticed that there's a homebrew game that will dre as well)

However this is not the important thing. I ripped a backup of The Wind Waker, and an original disc of Paper Mario. The MD5 doesn't match on both of them with the ReDump info, or my other rips done with WODE on the Wii.

I tried a 32 GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 SD card. It's new and at the moment I am checking it with h2test in case it's defective.
I am using a XenoGC 1.0. I think the XenoGC injects some code into the drive and the beginning. Does this header get on the ISOs when ripped? Maybe this is the reasons the MD5 signatures don't match?

Thanks
albertocastillo2001

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:00 pm

h2test has just finished, no errors found on the SD card..
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 pm

Don't use CleanRip with burned discs.
albertocastillo2001

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:16 am

Hello

I am not interested on ripping burned discs, but I think it's a good way to know if the drive is able to read the disc from the beginning to the end, assuring you won't have a DRE when playing the game.
However, as I mentioned before, I ripped an original disc of Paper Mario and the MD5 didn't match either
Last edited by albertocastillo2001 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:19 am

That's because cleanrip wasn't made for burned discs.
albertocastillo2001

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Hello, but I mentioned before that it also happened with an original disc of Paper Mario. I can try others as well if needed.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Modchips often disable the drive's error checking, so it won't detect or bother retrying any bad sector reads. This is done to make themselves look more compatible with burned discs, instead of the drive throwing a read error it just passes bad data to the game requesting it and a lot of the time it makes no difference - a couple of pixels might be off-coloured slightly, or an imperceptible audio difference.
In short, don't use a chipped drive for ripping.
albertocastillo2001

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:17 pm

Hmm, I think the XenoGC doesn't disable the DRE check unless the R button is pressed during load. So I don't know
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:16 pm

It's the opposite actually. That might explain why I had a few bad rips as well.
albertocastillo2001

Post by albertocastillo2001 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:35 pm

You mean pressing the R button enables disc read error retry? I thought it would disable it!
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:06 pm

According to the wiki, holding R at bootup disables the DRE fix.