CleanRip v1.0

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
emu_kidid
Site Admin

CleanRip v1.0

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:04 pm

CleanRip
Author: emu_kidid
(taken from http://code.google.com/p/cleanrip/)

Create 1:1 backups of your GC/Wii discs for archival purposes without any requirements for custom IOS (cIOS).

Features:
* FAT32 / NTFS file system support
* USB 2.0 Support
* Front SD Support
* Gamecube / Wii / Wii Dual layer disc dumping
* File Splitting (Maximum file size (only on NTFS) or 1, 2, 3 GB)
* MD5 sum presented to the user on successful rip

Web site:
http://code.google.com/p/cleanrip/

Cleanrip current version - Download
http://code.google.com/p/cleanrip/downloads/list
WiiPower

Re: CleanRip v1.0

Post by WiiPower » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Does this use HW_AHBPROT instead of the IOS to access the dvd drive and the storage device? If yes, then it would be the best disc dumper if there aren't any bugs.

If you use IOS to access the drive, you should consider to check the used IOS, as some IOS(ciosfail!) are messing up disc reading. Like they can't read the last sector of the 1st layer and similar.

I can't test it right now, does it create a seperate file with the md5 sum, or does it just display it? I think the md5 sums are a great addon and it should be considered to add them to some kind of disc database, so everybody can confirm if his rip is good.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Tested it with a GC game on a NTFS formated USB-Stick with overall 2,5 - 3.0 MB/s. Works flawlessly so far.

Very good job and nice GUI ;)

add:
* File Splitting (1,2,3GB or Maximum file size - use only on NTFS)
You mean FAT and not NTFS? :?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:23 pm

WiiPower wrote:Does this use HW_AHBPROT instead of the IOS to access the dvd drive and the storage device? If yes, then it would be the best disc dumper if there aren't any bugs.

If you use IOS to access the drive, you should consider to check the used IOS, as some IOS(ciosfail!) are messing up disc reading. Like they can't read the last sector of the 1st layer and similar.

I can't test it right now, does it create a seperate file with the md5 sum, or does it just display it? I think the md5 sums are a great addon and it should be considered to add them to some kind of disc database, so everybody can confirm if his rip is good.
It uses HW_ABHPROT to access the drive, so fail cIOS won't be an issue in reading..

As for MD5, it just creates it and displays it onscreen. I usually have redump.org (Wii/GC disc database) open and just check that it matches on screen.

As for file splitting, what I meant is, don't use "Max" for a Wii disc (single or dual layer) on a FAT/FAT32 device as they have a 2GB/4GB file limit respectively.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:49 pm

I tested it now with my NTFS HDD and did get nearly 9 mb/s. Awesome!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:55 am

Great to hear :)
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:44 am

I made some pics and a pic of a code/stack dump I got during the first reading process of a disc after pressing the A button. It seems to be appearing randomly. Sorry for the bad quality, I hope it is readable or in any way useful.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Cubelover on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:00 am

There seems to have been a bug, in the fact that I chose to do 3GB chunks, on a FAT32 drive, and the thing continued right onto dumping all it could into one file, until it hit a write error, due to it trying to write a file larger than 4GB on a FAT32 drive, even though I only asked for 3GB chunks.
buckeye

Post by buckeye » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:10 am

I have a question regarding dumping to an NTFS drive. I choose maximum chunks, select NTFS and start to dump. The process dumps the first 4GB, then asks to insert device for next chunk. I continue and it does finish, but leaving the file in two parts. Shouldn't it be able to dump one single file on NTFS without splitting it, provided there is enough space to do so?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 am

Cubelover wrote:I made some pics and a pic of a code/stack dump I got during the first reading process of a disc after pressing the A button. It seems to be appearing randomly. Sorry for the bad quality, I hope it is readable or in any way useful.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
I'll take a look at this later today.

Were you using a wii remote?
If you were using a wii remote, had the remote timed out?
Did you have any successful dumps to the same device before?

I'll also look at the file splitting too.

Edit: Sounds like a 1.1 is due soon :p Thanks for testing out and reporting bugs, keep it up :)
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:22 am

buckeye wrote:I have a question regarding dumping to an NTFS drive. I choose maximum chunks, select NTFS and start to dump. The process dumps the first 4GB, then asks to insert device for next chunk. I continue and it does finish, but leaving the file in two parts. Shouldn't it be able to dump one single file on NTFS without splitting it, provided there is enough space to do so?
You are right. But it's no big deal and can be fixed quickly I guess. You can merge parts with the command copy /b:

Code: Select all

copy /b xxxpart0.iso + xxxpart1.iso xxx.iso
emukidid wrote:]I'll take a look at this later today.

Were you using a wii remote?
If you were using a wii remote, had the remote timed out?
Did you have any successful dumps to the same device before?

I'll also look at the file splitting too.

Edit: Sounds like a 1.1 is due soon :p Thanks for testing out and reporting bugs, keep it up :)
Yes I was using a Wiimote but unfortunately I cant remember anymore whether it timed out or not. But I guess it did. Before I got the code dump I successfully dumped a GC game without problems on the same device. But the code dump appeared before my device got mounted though.

Thanks for taking your time to improve this software ;)
xaxa2

Post by xaxa2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:45 am

Would it be possible to add the option to dump over wifi?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 am

Even if I did, you'd get terrible speeds.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:24 am

xaxa2 wrote:Would it be possible to add the option to dump over wifi?
Search for "Wii HTTP Dumper" on Google. But like emukidid said, the speed is very bad (approximately 0.5 mb/s)
Sintendo

Post by Sintendo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm kinda new to the whole Wii homebrew scene, so I'm probably missing something obvious here. When I launch this app in the Homebrew Channel, it is started using IOS61. How can I make it use IOS58?

On a side note, I've been waiting for an app like this that works without any modified IOSes for some time now. Yesterday I finally modded my Wii just for this. Thanks!
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Sintendo wrote:I'm kinda new to the whole Wii homebrew scene, so I'm probably missing something obvious here. When I launch this app in the Homebrew Channel, it is started using IOS61. How can I make it use IOS58?

On a side note, I've been waiting for an app like this that works without any modified IOSes for some time now. Yesterday I finally modded my Wii just for this. Thanks!
Make sure you have IO58 installed. Then launch the HackMii Installer 0.8 and re-install the Homebrew Channel.
WiiPower

Post by WiiPower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 pm

I thought the main reason why this dumper is better than the others is that it does not use IOS to access the hardware. Or is the direct hardware access for the dvd drive only, and the usb2.0 support still depends on IOS58?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:12 pm

Yeah it uses IOS to access the USB at 2.0 speeds, otherwise it'll still write at 1.1 speeds or to frontSD.

I don't have that kind of time on my hands to write a USB driver that runs on PPC :p
xaxa2

Post by xaxa2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:12 am

Cubelover wrote:
Search for "Wii HTTP Dumper" on Google. But like emukidid said, the speed is very bad (approximately 0.5 mb/s)
Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 will not run it.

The reason I ask is because wifi dumping is a bit more convenient since the iso goes directly to my harddrive.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:18 am

xaxa2 wrote:
Cubelover wrote:
Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 will not run it.
What do you mean it will not run it?
xaxa2 wrote:The reason I ask is because wifi dumping is a bit more convenient since the iso goes directly to my harddrive.
Nah, not at all. The isos go directly (and much faster) to your HDD with USB dumping too.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:31 am

Has anyone got some speed comparisons to other rippers? I'd be interested to see how well this holds up against them (I haven't tried them).

Version 1.1 should be up shortly with some nice new features ;)
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:23 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Has anyone got some speed comparisons to other rippers? I'd be interested to see how well this holds up against them (I haven't tried them).

Version 1.1 should be up shortly with some nice new features ;)
Well I dont have concrete numbers but before CleanRip, I usually used SuperDump 1.3. It depended on cIOS and caused "bad dumps" if it used a incompatible cIOS. The speed was not bad (I remember speeds like 2 mb/s or something), but I think CleanRip is even faster. Also it can only dump to FAT partitions and had some annoying mounting issues. There is no source code of SuperDump available.

Any other dumpers ( Wii Disc Dumper, Wii DVD Dumper etc.) are nothing compared to CleanRip. They are very slow.

Then there are USB loaders. I think some of them can now dump 1:1 images to FAT (and NTFS?) partitions but they seem to be a bit slower.