Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:17 pm

On my particular hardware, it's good for 3 hours, then bad for 1 hour.

The crystal oscillator in my Game Boy Player is a 33WKSS4KT, the board is DOL-GBS-20 with CPU AGB A E.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:28 am

FIX94 wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: As for tearing it seems to vary a lot from person to person. I believe you said at one point Extrems that it really shouldn't de-sync for hours? All I can offer is that it doesn't seem to tear on a CRT, not that that's helpful information.
I do wonder if it maybe could be some PAL/NTSC thing, I have a PAL GC and for me its also about 2 minutes for the desync to happen.
That's the second report of PAL I've heard and I haven't heard of anyone with an NTSC console getting tearing (yet). Could very well be a PAL/NTSC thing- only way to verify is if somebody had both.
Miomjon

Post by Miomjon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:43 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:
FIX94 wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: As for tearing it seems to vary a lot from person to person. I believe you said at one point Extrems that it really shouldn't de-sync for hours? All I can offer is that it doesn't seem to tear on a CRT, not that that's helpful information.
I do wonder if it maybe could be some PAL/NTSC thing, I have a PAL GC and for me its also about 2 minutes for the desync to happen.
That's the second report of PAL I've heard and I haven't heard of anyone with an NTSC console getting tearing (yet). Could very well be a PAL/NTSC thing- only way to verify is if somebody had both.
As I've said in my previous post, I own both a PAL and an NTSC GC and I can confirm that the tearing also happens on the NTSC GC and in the same way as the PAL one (tested again on the Framemeister with all inputs and GCs). That on both composite and S-video. In fact, I'll need to check again (and I'll then update this post), but as far as I can remember, no matter which GC, output or display I used, the tearing pattern was the same, indicating that it might come from the GameBoy Player itself. Update: I checked every input I could on the Samsung HDTV (composite, RGB, component) with both GCs (when possible) and I can confirm that the tearing pattern is always the same, even on composite and RGB where the signal "jumps" (turns off) every now and then. It also remains if I switch output while the GC is still running.

The crystal oscillator on my GBP is a 33WKSS3AT, the board is DOL-GBS-01 (2003) and the CPU is AGB A.
If it matters, the GCs I have are both DOL-001.
Last edited by Miomjon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:37 pm

Miomjon wrote:As I've said in my previous post, I own both a PAL and an NTSC GC and I can confirm that the tearing also happens on the NTSC GC and in the same way as the PAL one. That on both composite and S-video. In fact, I'll need to check again (and I'll then update this post), but as far as I can remember, no matter which GC, output or display I used, the tearing pattern was the same, indicating that it might come from the GameBoy Player itself.

The crystal oscillator on my GBP is a 33WKSS3AT, the board is DOL-GBS-01 (2003) and the CPU is AGB A.
My bad, I read your post but missed that line. Onto the next theory then- I'll check again for tearing in my setup from the ULL version and post my oscillator/board revision as well.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Tearing appears for me via Framemeister using component to D-terminal in ULL. All NTSC.

It's not too bad and it's not frequent at all. I figure it has something to do with the weird refresh rate.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:21 pm

It has to do with clock drift, this was brought up in the original ASSEMbler thread to mod the GBP at 59.94 Hz.
lev11

Post by lev11 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks again, just found the screen shot function works to SD, never noticed before, great update.
Theguesst

Post by Theguesst » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:30 am

Documented the audio bug I'm encountering in the LL version here. It can take 5 seconds to 30 minutes for audio to cut out so I wasn't able to capture it. Random pitch shifts, screen artifacts and buzzing can be heard and seen. I'd need the LL version to do unmodified legitimate speedruns. http://youtu.be/mOvIXH2dT9s
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:08 am

Theguesst wrote:Documented the audio bug I'm encountering in the LL version here. It can take 5 seconds to 30 minutes for audio to cut out so I wasn't able to capture it. Random pitch shifts, screen artifacts and buzzing can be heard and seen.
Ugh, I thought I fixed this for good.
The Game Boy Player is unstable from Super Smash Bros. Melee for whatever reason, the previous versions reacted really badly.
suloku

Post by suloku » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:17 am

Extrems wrote:
Theguesst wrote:Documented the audio bug I'm encountering in the LL version here. It can take 5 seconds to 30 minutes for audio to cut out so I wasn't able to capture it. Random pitch shifts, screen artifacts and buzzing can be heard and seen.
Ugh, I thought I fixed this for good.
The Game Boy Player is unstable from Super Smash Bros. Melee for whatever reason, the previous versions reacted really badly.
I'm wondering if it will work correctly when run from this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/lteia01smsojo ... c.dol?dl=0

It is the mc dol loader I'm working on. Should work fine, the dol loading code is adapted from swiss (found a dol not loading with FIX94's code, probably the dol's fault, but swiss's code makes sure to boot those "incorrect" dols).
I still haven't figured out a way to add command line support. Adding another file to the memory card would waste a whole block, so I'm thinking about using the remainder of the gci file that is padded with dol2gci, since for example latest gbi version has 5868 bytes remaining in the last block, plenty of space for a cli file with all needed parameters. I was thinking in something along the lines of using the last 2 bytes for the cli filesize, since those two bytes would be really easy to access once the file is read from the mc, then just read the cli from the buffer. The dol loading code shouldn't mind that data being there.

Of course all of this would be only really useful for those not having a sdgecko adapter, but I like to have multiple options.
Theguesst

Post by Theguesst » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:35 am

Okay tried the file, not too savvy abou this so I just renamed it to boot.gci on the memory card and it would not load up at all. Will test more tomorrow.
FIX94

Post by FIX94 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:53 am

suloku wrote:(found a dol not loading with FIX94's code, probably the dol's fault, but swiss's code makes sure to boot those "incorrect" dols).
wait, I wrote some code for dol loading? did I miss something? :P
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:55 am

He probably means the wrapper you wrote for passing args to gbi.
suloku

Post by suloku » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Streetwalker wrote:He probably means the wrapper you wrote for passing args to gbi.
Yes I was referring to that, on swiss comments there's some notes about dol files needed to have 32 byte aligned sections and most homebrew not adhering to that rule, but swiss dol loading code makes up for that.
Programming is more of a hobbie for me, with no real studies on the subject aside from some tutorials, trying to understand other's code and a lot of trial and error, so I probably say lots of dumb stuff without even knowing (or not seeing a stray semicolon that breaks the code...).
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:43 pm

The DMA system uses addressing and sizes aligned to 32 bytes, that's probably the reason for that.
About that semicolon, it happens to everyone. Took me a while to notice it too.
FIX94

Post by FIX94 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:04 pm

suloku wrote: Yes I was referring to that, on swiss comments there's some notes about dol files needed to have 32 byte aligned sections and most homebrew not adhering to that rule, but swiss dol loading code makes up for that.
I see, Well I didnt write it for other dols really, it all was very basic and hardcoded for specific memory addresses, so whatever dol you tried probably just wrote over the loader.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:33 am

I stumbled upon this project today, and was immediately intrigued. I got a GC + GBP for $20 on Craigslist but without a startup disc, and I don't want to pay $50+ on ebay just for an official Startup disc, so this would work for me. I only want to use the GC for GBA games, so I don't need a mod chip.

I happened to dig out my Max Drive Pro memory card, and I am able to put DOL files on it (I have already tried it successfully with GCOS 1.5). I have my GC connected to my CRT (which supports RGB/15khz and VGA/31khz) via VGA cable (hacked D-terminal cable).

Which DOL should I use in my case? I would love GBA in 240p! Also, what is the experience like with GB/GBC games on GBI? Is it anything like Super Gameboy with the border and palette options?
Last edited by XC-3730C on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:45 am

XC-3730C wrote:I stumbled upon this project today, and was immediately intrigued. I got a GC + GBP for $20 on Craigslist but without startup disc, and I don't want to pay $50+ on ebay just for an official Startup Fosc, so this would work for me. I only want to use the GC for GBA games, so I don't need a mod chip.

I happened to dig out my Max Drive Pro memory card, and I am able to put DOL files on it (I have already tried it successfully with GCOS 1.5). I have my GC connected to my CRT (which supports RGB/15khz and VGA/31khz) via VGA cable (hacked D-terminal cable).

Which DOL should I use in my case? I would love GBA in 240p! Also, what is the experience like with GB/GBC games on GBI? Is it anything like Super Gameboy with the border and palette options?
If you want fancy features like zoom and (I think?) borders use the regular DOL. If you don't like the blur from the frame blending or the input lag use the ULL. If you have glitches (screen tearing, sound pops, etc.) with the ULL use the LL.

Considering the speed and aspect ratio difference on the Super Gameboy compared to the original handhelds, the GBI is by far the best option for them, assuming you don't need the borders to enjoy the games. Some Super Gameboy features in some games are nice though, but a Super Gameboy 2 should be the bare minimum for GB/GBC games on a TV.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:48 am

I don't really care about borders for Gameboy/Gameboy Color games, but what about different color palettes - is that something GBI supports? I contemplated a Super Gameboy, but if GBI supports switching color palettes, that will work for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:06 am

It does not. The Super Gameboy 2 is relatively cheap to import, I would definitely recommend that over the original. I can see why color palettes would be a big draw.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:42 am

Gotcha. SGB2 for GB/GBC for sure.

Now for the GBP on GC, has anyone use this adapter to use the Wii Classic Controller Pro on a Gamecube :

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/adap ... ontroller/

Seems like a better choice than a SNES adapter or overpriced Hori controller

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:05 am

I was interested but looking through reviews I saw a lot of little caveats. For whatever reason it doesn't work with the original Gameboy Player software, which is weird. One person said the Classic Linker Plus is needed for the Classic Controller Pro (EDIT: Multiple sources actually). The adapter's cord is short so you'd need a Gamecube extension cord given the length of the Classic Controller's cord.

And the most startling thing is someone saying:
The only minor issue is the buttons don't map 1-1 with the GC ones so the GC A button is the CC B button and the GC B button is the CC X button.
Which of course sound horrifying. Other sources seem to indicate the Plus version has good mappings though: http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0902.htm
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:16 am

Well if the plus is better, I would get that. The SNES adapters all have a Select button issue, and a Hori pad is too expensive

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:08 am

XC-3730C wrote:Gotcha. SGB2 for GB/GBC for sure.
The SGB2 does not play GBC games.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 am

bobrocks95 wrote:Which of course sound horrifying. Other sources seem to indicate the Plus version has good mappings though: http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0902.htm
I must be missing something because that's the same mapping (and the only one that makes sense given the button layout).