Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
paulness15

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by paulness15 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks Extrems for the newer version!

Also good to know about changing the Gameboy games color palettes. I didn't even know this was possible !
--
NTSC Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss)
PAL Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss and SD Loader)
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:38 pm

In the first post of this thread it says that one of the parameters that can be set is the brightness, however I do not see any option for this in Swiss. What am I doing wrong?
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks a lot Extrems! I can't thank you enough for making this.

Xaranar When you go into it you should get a list of parameters. Keep scrolling down to reach brightness and contrast options. It's only in gbi not in ll on ull.

Also I noticed the rotation option.....gameboy.....on a rotated screen

I cleared a couple of games on regular gbi and I haven't noticed any of that strange refresh issue the original software had. I'm talking about how every now and then part of the screen's refresh would be slightly off for a split second.
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi Extemes,

Can I pass parameters into GBI without using Swiss? I was hoping to just create a bootable disc of GBI with interlacing switched off.

Also my friend has a TV that has no zooming abilities and is using the ULL version, is it possible to output 160p instead of 240p. I know this would be a non-standard video signal, would any TV actually be able to handle that resolution?
Last edited by paulness15 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:15 pm

I try to download that GBI but it doesn't let me open it anywhere. What's the problem?
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Bakkus wrote:I try to download that GBI but it doesn't let me open it anywhere. What's the problem?
Works for me using winRAR
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:09 pm

paulness15 wrote:Also my friend has a TV that has no zooming abilities and is using the ULL version, is it possible to output 160p instead of 240p. I know this would be a non-standard video signal, would any TV actually be able to handle that resolution?
What's your friend's setup? If they're on a CRT you could go into the service menu and expand the image. A PVM/BVM can use the overscan option.

An HDTV... Well I don't really know why you would connect 240p straight to an HDTV without an XRGB in the middle that could do the zooming for you, especially since most modern TVs try to deinterlace a 240p signal thinking it's 480i. And if they're on ULL presumably they have component cables or the HDMI mod right? Does the 480p version not suit their needs?
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:22 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:
paulness15 wrote:Also my friend has a TV that has no zooming abilities and is using the ULL version, is it possible to output 160p instead of 240p. I know this would be a non-standard video signal, would any TV actually be able to handle that resolution?
What's your friend's setup? If they're on a CRT you could go into the service menu and expand the image. A PVM/BVM can use the overscan option.

An HDTV... Well I don't really know why you would connect 240p straight to an HDTV without an XRGB in the middle that could do the zooming for you, especially since most modern TVs try to deinterlace a 240p signal thinking it's 480i. And if they're on ULL presumably they have component cables or the HDMI mod right? Does the 480p version not suit their needs?
Their HDTV handles LL version 240p properly and fine via composite. They did the 240p tests and I verified it correctly handles 240p. They don't want to spend extra on a XRGB or component cables. No zooming options though, only 4:3 or 16:9.
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:59 pm

"gbi-ull.dol - Targeted at enthusiasts."

In what way is it targeted at enthusiasts?

Also I can't get this to work. When I transfer the files over to the SD card into the SD media launcher card, put it into my GC, and turn on the GC with the SDML disc inside. it only shows the files i've transferred over with question marks next to them. Can anyone help?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:13 pm

paulness15 wrote:Their HDTV handles LL version 240p properly and fine via composite. They did the 240p tests and I verified it correctly handles 240p. They don't want to spend extra on a XRGB or component cables. No zooming options though, only 4:3 or 16:9.
The LL version is different, hence my assumption that s/he had component cables or an HDMI mod.

Regardless 160p is not a valid VESA timing that anything would accept. As far as I know it's currently 160 active pixels in a 240p area.
An Extron RGB interface may allow you to do basic size adjustments, though that's going awfully far down the rabbit hole for someone on composite who doesn't want to get an XRGB.

Have they tried the regular version and aren't a fan?
Low lag, as the name implies, and 240p only. Aimed at CRT or XRGB users for the most part, or those sensitive to lag. Its refresh rate is also closer to the actual refresh rate of the GBA so nothing with the framerate needs to be modified.
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Bakkus wrote:"gbi-ull.dol - Targeted at enthusiasts."

Also I can't get this to work. When I transfer the files over to the SD card into the SD media launcher card, put it into my GC, and turn on the GC with the SDML disc inside. it only shows the files i've transferred over with question marks next to them. Can anyone help?
Just put the GBI.dol file on the SD card nothing else and launch that? Doesn't work?
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:
paulness15 wrote:Their HDTV handles LL version 240p properly and fine via composite. They did the 240p tests and I verified it correctly handles 240p. They don't want to spend extra on a XRGB or component cables. No zooming options though, only 4:3 or 16:9.
The LL version is different, hence my assumption that s/he had component cables or an HDMI mod.

Regardless 160p is not a valid VESA timing that anything would accept. As far as I know it's currently 160 active pixels in a 240p area.
An Extron RGB interface may allow you to do basic size adjustments, though that's going awfully far down the rabbit hole for someone on composite who doesn't want to get an XRGB.

Have they tried the regular version and aren't a fan?
Low lag, as the name implies, and 240p only. Aimed at CRT or XRGB users for the most part, or those sensitive to lag. Its refresh rate is also closer to the actual refresh rate of the GBA so nothing with the framerate needs to be modified.

They are using the regular version now, however their TV already has a lot of input lag as it is. I estimate around 100ms with a Sega Genesis directly connected. So the regular version of GBI 2-3 frames of lag on-top of the 100ms.
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:55 pm

paulness15 wrote:

Just put the GBI.dol file on the SD card nothing else and launch that? Doesn't work?
Well I do have other unrelated things on the SD card aswell. Is that the dealbreaker? Can't you have anything other than that file on it in order for it to work?
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Bakkus wrote:
paulness15 wrote:

Well I do have other unrelated things on the SD card aswell. Is that the dealbreaker? Can't you have anything other than that file on it in order for it to work?
I have a bunch of files on my SD card, standard 2GB SD card formatted in FAT32 (not SDHC). Works fine for me.

If you want you could boot Swiss.dol first?
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 pm

paulness15 wrote:.
Here's how the menu looks like http://imgur.com/nGgVpEk

Am I doing anything wrong?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:08 am

Bakkus, try extracting the 7z and zip files and put the dollar files on the card

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 am

XC-3730C wrote:Bakkus, try extracting the 7z and zip files and put the dollar files on the card

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
How do I do that?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:50 am

It's a .7z archive, extract it with 7-Zip or WinRAR...
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:18 pm

But I already did extract them to WinRAR to begin with, and it was from there i dragged them over to my SD card.
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Bakkus wrote:But I already did extract them to WinRAR to begin with, and it was from there i dragged them over to my SD card.
Hi Bakkus,

Look at my screenshots attached. You'll see what to do.
Attachments
Untitled2.png
(8.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Untitled.png
(7.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:57 pm

paulness15 wrote:
Bakkus wrote:But I already did extract them to WinRAR to begin with, and it was from there i dragged them over to my SD card.
Hi Bakkus,

Ah thanks, it finally worked! However, weren't the games also supposed to look better? I did a comparison, and they actually look worse! The duplicate frame problem is gone, but i'm not sure if it's worth sacrificing that if the games gonna look as washed out blurry gray as they do with this mod. How do you change that to make them look like they do in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maT2M68z3vk
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Bakkus wrote:
paulness15 wrote:
Hi Bakkus,

Ah thanks, it finally worked! However, weren't the games also supposed to look better? I did a comparison, and they actually look worse! The duplicate frame problem is gone, but i'm not sure if it's worth sacrificing that if the games gonna look as washed out blurry gray as they do with this mod. How do you change that to make them look like they do in this video?

Try putting the gbi-ll.dol on your SD card. See if that works better for you?
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Bakkus wrote:Ah thanks, it finally worked! However, weren't the games also supposed to look better? I did a comparison, and they actually look worse! The duplicate frame problem is gone, but i'm not sure if it's worth sacrificing that if the games gonna look as washed out blurry gray as they do with this mod. How do you change that to make them look like they do in this video?

The video you linked is using a SCART cable through an XRGB Mini... Do you have either of those things?

Also, the regular (not low lag or ultra low lag) version mimics the colors you'd see on a DS, which aren't as saturated.
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:22 pm

YES, that worked. I transferred the ULL file aswell at the same time, both produce great, pretty much identical pictures, but what are the reason for both of them to exist? And i'm a little disappointed that it isn't possible to zoom in and out plus drag the picture in any of those versions. instead being letterbox-forced

But this is still great regardless
bobrocks95 wrote:The video you linked is using a SCART cable through an XRGB Mini... Do you have either of those things?

Also, the regular (not low lag or ultra low lag) version mimics the colors you'd see on a DS, which aren't as saturated.
I do use RGB SCART cable, yes, but no upscaler. Is that even possible on a CRT TV?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Bakkus wrote:YES, that worked. I transferred the ULL file aswell at the same time, both produce great, pretty much identical pictures, but what are the reason for both of them to exist? And i'm a little disappointed that it isn't possible to zoom in and out plus drag the picture in any of those versions. instead being letterbox-forced

But this is still great regardless

I do use RGB SCART cable, yes, but no upscaler. Is that even possible on a CRT TV?
Oh if you're on an SD CRT you're good then, that's the best you can get!

Picture zooming and other adjustments presumably require a framebuffer, which the ultra low lag version doesn't have, hence its namesake low lag.

The ll version is kind of in the middle and still has a frame or two of lag, so I guess it uses a framebuffer, but not a big enough one for those adjustments? That's speculation on my part, but to get the lower lag you have to have a tradeoff with extra effects a framebuffer provides.