Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
bobrocks95

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:18 pm

I would do a little more research by asking people who are using it with a Framemeister- first things first, do the people that use one with an LCD experience the wobble without it?

The big thing is I hear a lot about input framerate locking and other such Framemeister settings. It's very likely the cheap VGA adapter will just spit out whatever refresh rate it's fed, whereas the Framemeister alleviates problems by actually doing something to modify the refresh rate. It does have around 2 frames of lag after all. Of course the converter also upscales so it's doing some sort of processing as well and might be modifying the refresh rate, who knows.

I don't own a Framemeister so I'm far from an expert, but I think it's worth looking into first.
DanAdamKOF

Post by DanAdamKOF » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Tried GBI out tonight. Used LL in 240p mode with a PVM CRT and Component cables, and to boot a Gamecube-compatible arcade stick :D Loving it!

One question, is the output horizontally scaled? I think I saw some signs of non-integer scaling (some text characters had pixels whose widths appeared thinner than others, slight shimmering in horizontal scrolling). Is it possible to alter the GameCube's pixel clock via GBI such that the horizontal resolution is an integer multiple of the GB/A's resolution? If this is an option already, can someone point me in the right direction? If this would throw off the aspect ratio I'm fine with that since I can squeeze and pull the image a bit via my PVM's controls. Thanks!
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:14 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:I would do a little more research by asking people who are using it with a Framemeister- first things first, do the people that use one with an LCD experience the wobble without it?

The big thing is I hear a lot about input framerate locking and other such Framemeister settings. It's very likely the cheap VGA adapter will just spit out whatever refresh rate it's fed, whereas the Framemeister alleviates problems by actually doing something to modify the refresh rate. It does have around 2 frames of lag after all. Of course the converter also upscales so it's doing some sort of processing as well and might be modifying the refresh rate, who knows.

I don't own a Framemeister so I'm far from an expert, but I think it's worth looking into first.
I own one, it worked at some point and now it only plays sound and this garbled mess of shades of white.

It doesn't like 480i GBI ULL. 480p is fine. Would love to get 240p going somehow.
tonycrazy

Post by tonycrazy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:31 am

Is there a way to add control mapping in the DCP file?
Select as Z is really confusing playing some games with Hori Game Boy Player controllers.

Thanks
PokemonAcer

Post by PokemonAcer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:06 am

I'm going to be a noob and ask, but does this also support GBA as a pad, just like the original Player?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:42 am

PokemonAcer wrote:I'm going to be a noob and ask, but does this also support GBA as a pad, just like the original Player?
Not yet, check the previous page
Incinerates

Post by Incinerates » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:11 am

Awesome app. Just want to know how I can force 240p over component using ULL? It defaults to 480p through framemeister.

Thanks!
DanAdamKOF

Post by DanAdamKOF » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:57 am

Incinerates wrote:Awesome app. Just want to know how I can force 240p over component using ULL? It defaults to 480p through framemeister.
Create a file called gbi.dcp with the following line in it:
--scan-mode={non-interlace}
and place in same directory as gbi
Last edited by DanAdamKOF on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patman

Post by Patman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 pm

Hey, this has probably been asked before, but I just got my SD launcher in the mail today and I'm heading out so I don't have time to really explore more than I already have at the moment. I'm running it on a CRT via s-video, so i'm deciding between LL and ULL versions. That said, can I get the image to use the full display size of my TV while maintaining GBA aspect ratio? As it is now I just have a box in the center of my screen, and one of my main reasons for wanting this was to not have a border like the OEM GBP does. Here's what it looks like for me currently. I assume it's something I can manage in one of the config files? Really sorry about the ignorance.

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:11 am

You can make the original GBP boot disc zoom to fill the screen completely. It just looks like trash is all.

Use the regular version if you want zooming, the LL and ULL versions don't have a framebuffer to allow for it (well, maybe the LL version, not sure).
You could also use your CRTs service menu to stretch the image, though this would stretch all sources and need to be changed back once you played something else. PVMs and BVMs have a handy overscan button on the chassis that will do this at the touch of a button but consumer Sony's don't.
Patman

Post by Patman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:15 am

bobrocks95 wrote:You can make the original GBP boot disc zoom to fill the screen completely. It just looks like trash is all.

Use the regular version if you want zooming, the LL and ULL versions don't have a framebuffer to allow for it (well, maybe the LL version, not sure).
You could also use your CRTs service menu to stretch the image, though this would stretch all sources and need to be changed back once you played something else. PVMs and BVMs have a handy overscan button on the chassis that will do this at the touch of a button but consumer Sony's don't.

Well that sucks. I just gave it a shot and yes, it looks unbearably terrible. ULL seems to be working out for me, i'll stick with it.
SuperrSonic

Post by SuperrSonic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Playing with the filters some more, what is the difference between normal2x and normalnx? They both look the same to me. I thought normal2x was strictly just oversampling, at least from what I could gather online.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Normal2x is applied to screenshots.
Coestar

Post by Coestar » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:16 am

Latest GBI download link seems to be broken at the moment, or is it just me?

This is what I'm getting: http://i.imgur.com/ZOqlyXL.png (Error 523, website offline)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:22 pm

works fine, download direct.
Coestar

Post by Coestar » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Must be something with me, then. I'm having a friend download it for me.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 pm

Is there any way to get command line arguments to work with the LL and ULL versions?

If not, is there a way to adjust the colour on the regular version so that they aren't too pale?
Incinerates

Post by Incinerates » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:35 am

DanAdamKOF wrote:
Incinerates wrote:Awesome app. Just want to know how I can force 240p over component using ULL? It defaults to 480p through framemeister.
Create a file called gbi.dcp with the following line in it:
--scan-mode={non-interlace}
and place in same directory as gbi
Hmm. Still loading as 480p. Normal and LL version runs in 240p fine over component. Is this a limitation of the ULL version?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:24 am

Burn Swiss to it, make a SD adapter
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:03 pm

Xaranar wrote:If not, is there a way to adjust the colour on the regular version so that they aren't too pale?
That's referred to as color gamut mapping, look if there's a command line option to disable it. It's mimicking what a game would look like played on a (phat?) DS
davidkanto

Post by davidkanto » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:45 pm

is the download link broken
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Works just fine here.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:43 am

Does anyone use this with the Framemeister?

This has been my experience:
ULL 240p + FM = garbage + sound

ULL 480p + FM = working

LL 240p + FM = working

Why won't 240p ULL work?
DanAdamKOF

Post by DanAdamKOF » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:47 am

DanAdamKOF wrote:Tried GBI out tonight. Used LL in 240p mode with a PVM CRT and Component cables, and to boot a Gamecube-compatible arcade stick :D Loving it!

One question, is the output horizontally scaled? I think I saw some signs of non-integer scaling (some text characters had pixels whose widths appeared thinner than others, slight shimmering in horizontal scrolling). Is it possible to alter the GameCube's pixel clock via GBI such that the horizontal resolution is an integer multiple of the GB/A's resolution? If this is an option already, can someone point me in the right direction? If this would throw off the aspect ratio I'm fine with that since I can squeeze and pull the image a bit via my PVM's controls. Thanks!
Wondering if someone knows the answer to this, thank you!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:05 pm

• Added GBA-as-controller support. (thanks FIX94!)
  • Recognized a half-press of the analog triggers.
  • Disabled GameCube Controller hotplugging for now.
For low latency versions:
  • Added U+D/L+R cancelling.
  • Added GBA-as-controller support. (thanks FIX94!)
  • Recognized a half-press of the analog triggers.
  • Disabled GameCube Controller hotplugging for now.