Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Elrinth

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Elrinth » Thu May 26, 2016 10:25 am

Hi just wanted to say I love this homebrew! :D Thanx for making it :D Threw in some bucks to show my appreciation.
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Question for Extrems:

I'm noticing graphic sizzle on the horizontal axis for regular Game Boy games. When I look closely, it would seem the horizontal resolution is not an integer of the original Game Boy resolution, and this results in random oblong pixels (which causes scrolling sizzle). Is this something that can be fixed in your driver software, or is this inherent with the Game Boy Player hardware?

Edit: This might likely be because the default argument for "aspect" is 4:3. Would you be willing to change the default argument to a perfect square pixel match of the original graphics?

Edit 2: For the record, I'm using GBI.LL, which I do not know if it has argument options.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:23 pm

The low lag versions don't have command line arguments. Do you notice the same issue with GBA games?
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Negative. GBA appears integer-perfect on both axes. GB and GBC appear integer-perfect on the vertical axis, but not the horizontal. I've confirmed from my end the lack of horizontal integer pixels is very definitely coming from the input source and not the Framemeister.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:51 pm

And it's not a problem with the GBA architecture itself in some way? Seems odd GBA would be fine with the same parameters but not GB/GBC.
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:07 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:And it's not a problem with the GBA architecture itself in some way? Seems odd GBA would be fine with the same parameters but not GB/GBC.
It's possible the GBP hardware is to blame, but the fact of the matter is the pixels are not inter-scaled on the horizontal axis for regular GB and GBC. I wish they were, because the Framemeister allows me to aspect-correct without introducing artifacts because of the way it interpolates horizontal stretching. In other words, you can 4:3 correct GB graphics with the Framemeister and not have sizzle during scroll, but not if the source image attempts the same correction beforehand.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:15 am

It's impossible to implement SGB features.
FirebrandX wrote:Would you be willing to change the default argument to a perfect square pixel match of the original graphics?
No, but I'll add an option to set the sample aspect ratio.
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:31 am

Extrems wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:Would you be willing to change the default argument to a perfect square pixel match of the original graphics?
No, but I'll add an option to set the sample aspect ratio.
Will that work with the GBI.LL version?
TGH__

Post by TGH__ » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:36 am

Extrems,

I like to take a moment to express my gratitude for the creation of GBI. For a speedrunner in myself frustrated with the input lag on the standard Game Boy Player, this mod is absolutely phenomenal. Thank you!

I have just one personal dilemma with the program: the controller mapping. If there were an option to map Select to either X or Y on the GC controller as opposed to Z, this would literally be perfect. One of the games I speedrun (Zelda: Link's Awakening DX) requires constant pressing of all main buttons simultaneously, including Select. Having it mapped to Z like it is makes the process incredibly awkward, especially for how I hold the controller while I play normally. (GBP allowed for this mapping)

I was wondering if, in the future, there would be different options for button mapping. I hope to speedrun the game at AGDQ in 2017, and I would absolutely use GBI if the controller has options for config.

Thanks very much again!

EDIT: So I dug deeper into the thread and found that apparently there is a certain combination of buttons you can hold to change the config scheme. Does anyone know what this combination is? It doesn't seem to be detailed anywhere.

Also if there happens to be any way I could edit a file or something to change the scheme myself, please let me know. (Keep in mind I'm really new to homebrew and am not savvy with this sort of thing in general lol)

Thanks!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:15 am

TGH__ wrote:So I dug deeper into the thread and found that apparently there is a certain combination of buttons you can hold to change the config scheme. Does anyone know what this combination is? It doesn't seem to be detailed anywhere.
They were talking about SNES controller adapters.

Here's my proposal.

Mode A:
  • A / B - A / B
  • Z, Y - Select
  • Start, X - Start
  • D-Pad, Stick - D-Pad
  • L / R - L / R
  • Reset - Reset
Mode B:
  • A / B - A / B
  • Z, L - Select
  • Start, R - Start
  • D-Pad, Stick, C-Stick - D-Pad
  • Y / X - L / R
  • Reset - Reset
Problem: Start on X could be considered cheating, but the layout doesn't make sense to me otherwise.
TGH__

Post by TGH__ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Hey, thanks for the response!

Nothing like this would be considered cheating imo. One of the GBP controller mapping settings had this layout:

A /B = A/B
Start = Start
X/Y = Select
L/R = L/R
Z = GBP Menu

And this layout made a lot of sense, in particular the use of the Z button for the GBP settings menu, since it's such an out-of-place button, especially playing GBC/GBA games. If the control scheme were changed to this, again it'd be identical to that of one of the GBP settings, so there's no way it'd be considered controversial or cheating by anyone.

So this very control scheme makes the most sense to me, and thus is my proposal. Should this be followed through with, is there any chance the LL and ULL versions could be updated with it too? (Ive been using the ULL version actually, but plan to use LL for doing marathons or something similar)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:42 pm

I'm not changing the control scheme for the standard version, this only applies to the low latency versions.

I'm well aware of the control schemes for the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc, and I hate them.
TGH__

Post by TGH__ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 pm

That's fair. I'm just saying they make a little more sense than Select being mapped to Z, which is incredibly awkward no matter what game you're playing. Which is why Z was used for the menu in GBP.
tonycrazy

Post by tonycrazy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Extrems wrote:
TGH__ wrote:So I dug deeper into the thread and found that apparently there is a certain combination of buttons you can hold to change the config scheme. Does anyone know what this combination is? It doesn't seem to be detailed anywhere.
They were talking about SNES controller adapters.

Here's my proposal.

Mode A:
  • A / B - A / B
  • Z, Y - Select
  • Start, X - Start
  • D-Pad, Stick - D-Pad
  • L / R - L / R
  • Reset - Reset
Mode B:
  • A / B - A / B
  • Z, L - Select
  • Start, R - Start
  • D-Pad, Stick, C-Stick - D-Pad
  • Y / X - L / R
  • Reset - Reset
Problem: Start on X could be considered cheating, but the layout doesn't make sense to me otherwise.
I vote for this proposal. Being able to use Y as an option for Select would be perfect for Hori controllers.
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:40 pm

wouldnt it be better for everyone if the controls where set in a txt file and then everyone could set them how they like
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:45 pm

RazorX2014 wrote:wouldnt it be better for everyone if the controls where set in a txt file and then everyone could set them how they like
Not exactly the easiest thing to just plop in. Low lag versions currently don't have any command-line arguments at all.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 am

Here's a proposal for compatibility with a SNES controller that's directly mapped letter-by-letter (with Z to select) to let you use it like you would on a SNES (IE, hold "Y" to run in Mario, press "B" to jump)

Y -> B
B -> A
Z -> Select
Start -> Start
L / R -> L / R

RaphNet's controller adapters default to direct mapping, and they do have a mode that maps Y -> B and B -> A... But it's an "NES" mapping which disables the L and R button, making it useless for GBA. That's a major fail in my book (why leave L and R unmapped?), but it's a popular adapter.
Soliner

Post by Soliner » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:21 am

Hi.
After a reset with the controller (L+R+Start), and relaunching GBI with Swiss, it looks like Gameboy Player isn't reset, and the old game still prints on screen.
I'm using latest Swiss with a XenoGC.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:19 am

Soliner wrote:Hi.
After a reset with the controller (L+R+Start), and relaunching GBI with Swiss, it looks like Gameboy Player isn't reset, and the old game still prints on screen.
I'm using latest Swiss with a XenoGC.
This is intentional as far as I'm aware.
Soliner

Post by Soliner » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:46 pm

I meant a full reset.
- Start swiss on a burned DVD.
- Start GBI dol located on a SD.
- Launch GBA cartidge
- Press L+R+Start
Gamecube reboots.
- Start Swiss again
- Change GBA card
- Start GBI

The first game is on the screen, then GBI crashes.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:56 pm

You're meant to press the reset button to reset the Game Boy Player. What is L+R+Start anyway?
Soliner

Post by Soliner » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:48 pm

You can soft-reset the Gamecube using button combo.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:00 pm

I thought it was B+X+Start, it doesn't work in homebrew regardless and I can't get L+R+Start to respond in licensed software.
Soliner

Post by Soliner » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:15 pm

I've tried again : I was using Castlevania, pressed L+R+Z+Start+A+B for a few seconds, then the GameCube restarted (I heard the alternative loading music). Swiss was quicker to load, and GBI loaded the game at the exact same screen it was when I restarted.
I didn't work again, instead, only Cartlevania restarted, and I wasn't able to reproduce the reboot with another game.
So I'll try another day, maybe the cartidge sent an odd signal to the GB Player, causing it to reboot the GameCube.

I found another strange behavior : press a button, then, keeping it pressed, press X to print the menu, then release the first button. The game acts as if it was still pressed.
DKCthree

Post by DKCthree » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:33 pm

is there a way to Change the GB/C GBA Cartridge without restarting the system?! It's really unpractical to load again the swiss menue etc....