Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Hucklebuck wrote:Does GBI work with Everdrives?
Yes
mantixero

Post by mantixero » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:35 pm

mario64 wrote:Hi all,

I've searched and can't seem to find an answer to this question. Are there input parameters which can be adjusted so the regular version of GBI isn't so excessively bright? I understand it was designed to match a GBA in daylight but when playing on a LCD it's way too much imo. The LL and ULL versions look much better. Problem is, they don't allow applying zoom to the image.

Thanks,
mario64
I too would like to know the answer to this. I saw the cli example Extrems posted with some gamma settings, etc, but I don't know the exact settings the LL/ULL versions use. I'd like to use GBI's PNG-capturing capabilities, but it's a shame I can't use them to capture the fantastic look of LL/ULL.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:37 pm

--intent=<saturation>
mantixero

Post by mantixero » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:45 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:--intent=<saturation>
Thank you kind sir! I will try this when I get home. That argument's description in the first post didn't jump out at me as a possible solution, but it makes more sense now that I know the answer.
Weario

Post by Weario » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Hey Extrems, I'd like to thank you for creating this software, I've been using it a lot now to replay Golden Sun again.
The ULL version seems to work fantastic on my LG HD TV!
I am curious about something (please forgive me if this is already answered here), how come this software has some sound latency, while the original Gameboy Player software does not?
Last edited by Weario on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Weario wrote:Hey Extrems, I'd like to thank you for creating this software, I've been using it a lot now to replay Golden Sun again.
I am curious about something (please forgive me if this is already answered here), how come this software has some sound latency, while the original Gameboy Player software does not?
Hmmm, I'm going to assume that the original does have audio delay and you don't notice it, unless you have some way to prove that it doesn't. It's much harder to notice audio lag than it is video lag, light travels much faster than sound and all that.
Weario

Post by Weario » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:39 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:
Weario wrote:Hey Extrems, I'd like to thank you for creating this software, I've been using it a lot now to replay Golden Sun again.
Hmmm, I'm going to assume that the original does have audio delay and you don't notice it, unless you have some way to prove that it doesn't. It's much harder to notice audio lag than it is video lag, light travels much faster than sound and all that.
I am not sure how I could prove this.. Maybe I could make a video and post it somewhere?
Either way, I am certain that the Gameboy Interface by Extrems has some latency in the audio over the original software.
I have been testing this with Golden Sun. The way I am testing this is by pressing 'A' to open up a menu. Opening the menu make a little sound, and that's how I measure the latency.

EDIT: On the main post it also says:
"Audio
no low-pass filter
32-64 ms latency"
So I am wondering why this is the case, basically. :)

EDIT2:
The sound is not coming from my own TV, btw. I have a receiver for that.
This one: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/ht- ... 18388.html
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 pm

That's 2 to 4 frames of latency, because the regular version does some post-processing on the video which requires buffering at least two frames.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:13 am

mantixero wrote:I'd like to use GBI's PNG-capturing capabilities, but it's a shame I can't use them to capture the fantastic look of LL/ULL.
Screenshots aren't altered beyond image doubling, but gAMA and cHRM chunks are present. You can strip those to restore the look you're looking for in PNG viewers supporting color management.
Weario wrote:I am curious about something (please forgive me if this is already answered here), how come this software has some sound latency, while the original Gameboy Player software does not?
This uses the ASND library, which has a large buffer. It mostly lines up with the video latency anyway. Something custom will be rolled out for ULL at some point.
Weario

Post by Weario » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:00 am

Extrems wrote:This uses the ASND library, which has a large buffer. It mostly lines up with the video latency anyway. Something custom will be rolled out for ULL at some point.
Thanks for the explanation! I'll look out for it then.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:12 am

Extrems wrote:This uses the ASND library, which has a large buffer. It mostly lines up with the video latency anyway. Something custom will be rolled out for ULL at some point.
Good point, I didn't realize he was talking about audio.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:56 am

That's nice to hear, always performance first for ULL.
Nevertheless I'm excited about the prospects of a quicker more powerful replacement for Nintendo's UI. If not in GBI than somewhere like it.
mantixero

Post by mantixero » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Extrems wrote:Screenshots aren't altered beyond image doubling, but gAMA and cHRM chunks are present. You can strip those to restore the look you're looking for in PNG viewers supporting color management.
Thanks for the info Extrems. I had never heard of PNG chunks, but I tried removing them from some of your screenshots (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2782&start=25#p29959) using PNGGauntlet (a GUI for PNGOUT and others), but comparing the input with the output back to back in Irfanview with color management turned on, they look identical. Do you have a recommended viewer and/or chunk stripper for Windows that I could try?

Also, during my comparison I noticed something about the screenshots from that post: the bubbles in the one marked "nocms" seem... rounder. Is this simply due to the color mapping? Here they are overlapped: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/202231. Thanks for your time.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 am

mantixero wrote:Thanks for the info Extrems. I had never heard of PNG chunks, but I tried removing them from some of your screenshots (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2782&start=25#p29959) using PNGGauntlet (a GUI for PNGOUT and others), but comparing the input with the output back to back in Irfanview with color management turned on, they look identical. Do you have a recommended viewer and/or chunk stripper for Windows that I could try?
Those aren't screenshots made by GBI, it's video capture.
KyleG

Post by KyleG » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:06 am

Hi all, so I'm new here and just want to be 100% sure about some stuff. I have a GameCube and gameboy player. So All I need is a sd launcher... no disc required right? And what's a good recommendation for the SD launcher? Thanks!
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:36 am

SD media launcher is a disc and comes with a (poor quality) SD adapter. You can find slightly better adapters known as wiisd if that causes issues.
cocklederry

Post by cocklederry » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Not 100% certain this is the place for this, but I've been meaning to ask for a while now, is there/will there be any inclusion of something like the Super Gameboy's special palettes? Like in Donkey Kong or Pokemon where it sections off portions of the screen for different palettes?

Because I think that would be really swell.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 pm

I believe extrems has said somewhere in this thread that SGB features can't be added.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:32 pm

The gameboy player is literally a gba with a capture device. The extra SGB features are part of modifications made to the gameboy hardware to take advantage of color TVs but the GBA doesn't support those, so it's not possible.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:11 pm

• Added temporal/spatial dithering.
  • Added color matrices by Pokefan531.
  • Added TPL overlay support to wiiload server.
  • Changed default color matrix to Pokefan531's.
  • Changed default gamma to 2.2.
  • Optimized NormalNx filter.
For low latency version:
  • Added rumble, disabled by default.
  • Added USB Gecko wiiload server.
  • Added Xboo Communicator.
For BIOS/ROM dumper:
  • Improved transfer robustness.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am

good job!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
JVC920

Post by JVC920 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 am

OK first time here and new to most of this homebrew stuff. Have GC and GB Advance Player. Currently using with Framemeister. After seeing video on Youtube by 'My Life in Gaming' looking to use Game Boy Interface to play back GB Advance games.

Can someone tell me what files to put on the SD card? Not sure if doing right or if the SD card reader I picked up on Ebay actually working. Already have the Action Reply disk in but doesn't see the SD card.

Simple enough is what files go to the root of the SD card.

Big thanks in advance
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:07 am

Your problem likely stem from using an SDHC card. These aren't compatible with the Action Replay/SD Media Launcher software.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:57 am

I've just noticed, how come the rendering intent argument has disappeared and I'm stuck with the washed out colours?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:00 pm

You're not, it changed for the color matrix option.