Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:10 pm

• Improved Game Boy Player driver.
  • Changed wiiload server to accept oversized DOLs.
  • Removed DK Bongos support due to raphnet adapter bug.
For low latency version:
  • Fixed scaling without a 3D LUT.
shinchandoidao6669

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Extrems wrote:
shinchandoidao6669 wrote:--filter=normalnx
--dither=threshold
--contrast=1.
These aren't necessary as they're the defaults.
I think this thing "--contrast=1." is not default. I've tried without this and the color is not the same. i try in the last version and i used this cgi and looks great:

--matrix=identity
--input-gamma=1.
--output-gamma=1.
--contrast=1.

sorry for my english and thanks for all suport.

:)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 pm

I can assure you it is the default, try adding a newline.
shinchandoidao6669

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Extrems wrote:I can assure you it is the default, try adding a newline.
ok, but works fine for me this cgi! :)
shinchandoidao6669

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:48 pm

shinchandoidao6669 wrote:
Extrems wrote:I can assure you it is the default, try adding a newline.
ok, but works fine for me this cgi! :)
Extrems, have a filter and dither recommendations?
pargordius

Post by pargordius » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:52 am

So I've decided on a config that I like for gbi-ll that works for both GB/GBC and GBA games on my SD CRT over S-Video:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.1875                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
--scaler=oversample                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
--scan-mode=interlace
So far, I've been burning discs with swiss and gbi on the same .ISO and launching gbi from swiss. Now, I'm trying to get a standalone disc that boots straight into gbi-ll with the .cli options appended to the gbi-ll.dol file, but I've run into an issue because I'm probably making the .ISO wrong.

tl;dr If I boot swiss and power off my GC and switch to my custom disc, it works fine. If I cold boot my custom disc, I get this:
feh_006669_000001_IMG_20170903_202307.jpg
(2.97 MiB) Not downloaded yet

I can leave the GC totally powered off for <20 minutes and it will still boot my standalone disc fine, but after that I get the error again, after which, I need to boot swiss to get my custom disc working.

This steps I'm using to make my custom .ISO loosely follow the instructions here: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... ebrew_disc

The gbi.hdr file I'm using is one I've pulled from a swiss .ISO, because for the life of me I can't get the ppc-toolchain setup to make my own. I'm not sure if this is the root cause of the problem.

Also, I'm omitting the dollz3 step because it gives me this (and I think this is just for compression, right?):

$ ./dollz3 bootldr.dol out.dol                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
***********************************************************                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
* d0lLZ 3.0 - Gamecube Executable Compressor.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
* softdev 2005 - http://www.tehskeen.com                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
***********************************************************                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
* DOL requires 0x0003cd80 bytes for binary image ... OK                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
* Loading DOL sections .............................                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
 *Read 0x0003a29f ... Needed 0x0003a65c                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
* Error reading DATA section 0    
I've been appending gbi-ll.dol with gbi-ll.cli with this:

$ cat gbi-ll.dol gbi-ll.cli > bootldr.dol
And all the options seem to take effect just fine.

So, am I making my .ISO incorrectly, or is there a bug in gbi-ll?

My .ISO for reference: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8YXGW ... sp=sharing
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 am

It's a bug in the libogc multitasking kernel.
pargordius

Post by pargordius » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:18 am

Extrems wrote:It's a bug in the libogc multitasking kernel.
Interesting. Are there any workarounds?

Edit: More specifically, is libogc a dependency for gbi-ll or is it a dependency for one of the files used in .ISO creation (like gbi.hdr)?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:53 pm

libogc is a dependency of most GameCube/Wii homebrew.

The fault is here: https://github.com/devkitPro/libogc/blo ... dog.c#L122
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey guys, I made this banner for an ISO of GBI that I'm burning to a disc, and I can't get the file to the correct form of BMP and cannot at all get it to convert to BNR. I tried editing the hex codes and saving it into the A1G5B5.... format so that GCRebuilder would accept it, but the image keeps getting messed up when I edit the hex. That or GCRebuilder just won't take it. Could someone please convert it to the right form of BMP so that I can get it to show up in GCRebuilder correctly, or convert it to BNR for me? Thanks! And if anyone likes the banner, feel free to take it!
Attachments
banner.jpg
(2.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pargordius

Post by pargordius » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:59 pm

claywilson95 wrote:Hey guys, I made this banner for an ISO of GBI that I'm burning to a disc, and I can't get the file to the correct form of BMP and cannot at all get it to convert to BNR. I tried editing the hex codes and saving it into the A1G5B5.... format so that GCRebuilder would accept it, but the image keeps getting messed up when I edit the hex. That or GCRebuilder just won't take it. Could someone please convert it to the right form of BMP so that I can get it to show up in GCRebuilder correctly, or convert it to BNR for me? Thanks! And if anyone likes the banner, feel free to take it!
This may work.

Edit: Although, if you look at Extrems's post above yours, I don't think a standalone GBI disc is possible.
Attachments
banner.bnr.zip
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:50 pm

pargordius wrote:
claywilson95 wrote:Hey guys, I made this banner for an ISO of GBI that I'm burning to a disc, and I can't get the file to the correct form of BMP and cannot at all get it to convert to BNR. I tried editing the hex codes and saving it into the A1G5B5.... format so that GCRebuilder would accept it, but the image keeps getting messed up when I edit the hex. That or GCRebuilder just won't take it. Could someone please convert it to the right form of BMP so that I can get it to show up in GCRebuilder correctly, or convert it to BNR for me? Thanks! And if anyone likes the banner, feel free to take it!
This may work.

Edit: Although, if you look at Extrems's post above yours, I don't think a standalone GBI disc is possible.

I actually got it to work! I have GBI booting straight from a disc without Swiss. I got the banner to work and it looks great :), thanks! I can upload pictures of it in action.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:07 pm

pargordius wrote:Edit: Although, if you look at Extrems's post above yours, I don't think a standalone GBI disc is possible.
The bug is unrelated to booting from a disc.
pargordius

Post by pargordius » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:21 pm

claywilson95 wrote:
pargordius wrote:
This may work.

I actually got it to work! I have GBI booting straight from a disc without Swiss. I got the banner to work and it looks great :), thanks! I can upload pictures of it in action.
Sweet! Could you post your .ISO? I'm curious what I'm doing wrong.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:42 pm

You're not doing anything wrong.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:07 pm

pargordius wrote:
claywilson95 wrote:
pargordius wrote: This may work.

Sweet! Could you post your .ISO? I'm curious what I'm doing wrong.
Actually, I'm having problems getting my ISO with Extrems' newest version on GBI to work. My ISO worked with the previous version. What's the problem then...?
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 pm

My GameCube as well as Dolphin will start my previous ISO no problem, but my ISO with this new version freezes my Cube and the controller just vibrates nonstop. Doesn't even boot in Dolphin.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:16 pm

That's the GC-Linux apploader panicking from the oversized DOL for the CLI append hack. Try appending 1024 null bytes.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Extrems wrote:That's the GC-Linux apploader panicking from the oversized DOL for the CLI append hack. Try appending 1024 null bytes.
Could I somehow do that after I have already created the ISO? In GCRebuilder maybe? I'm clearly not as understanding about all this as you are haha, this has taken me a little while to get the hang of blindly.
pargordius

Post by pargordius » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 am

claywilson95 wrote:
Extrems wrote:That's the GC-Linux apploader panicking from the oversized DOL for the CLI append hack. Try appending 1024 null bytes.
Could I somehow do that after I have already created the ISO? In GCRebuilder maybe? I'm clearly not as understanding about all this as you are haha, this has taken me a little while to get the hang of blindly.
I tried growing bootldr.dol by both 1024 bytes total (including the appended .cli file) and 1024 bytes in addition to the appended .cli file, and neither worked. I was using the truncate command btw.

However, if I just use the unaltered gbi-ll.dol, I don't get the crash I was getting earlier.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:15 am

pargordius wrote:
claywilson95 wrote:
I tried growing bootldr.dol by both 1024 bytes total (including the appended .cli file) and 1024 bytes in addition to the appended .cli file, and neither worked. I was using the truncate command btw.

However, if I just use the unaltered gbi-ll.dol, I don't get the crash I was getting earlier.
You know more about what you're doing than I do lol. I can't seem to figure out how to plug my banner into an ISO. That's my only problem here. Unless it is the right BMP type for GCRebuilder to accept it, I don;t know how to plug it in when it is a BNR file. I tried putting it into the root of the ISO, and importing it into the root via GCRebuilder. Only importing worked, but then messed up the ISO, it was then too large to boot I suppose, since I had GC Bootable GUI to max out the ISO size prior to importing the banner. I don't know what to do.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 am

• Added GameCube Steering Wheel support.
  • Added Active Life Mat support.
  • Readded DK Bongos support.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 pm

Could someone please convert this banner into a BMP file that will succesfully import into GCRebuilder? Please not a BNR, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put it into the ISO as a BNR without it messing up. The ISO I made with the BNR imported just freezes up everytime I try to boot it, because I imported too many bytes past the max limit I think. It would really be appreciated, thanks!
Attachments
file.jpg
(2.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
shinchandoidao6669

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:50 am

I try use this cli command:

--scan-mode=non-interlace

In game boy interface (GBI) for forcing 240p but not working. need more command in cli?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:46 am

If you're using the append method, you need a terminating newline.