Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:33 am

For low latency version:
  • Reverted audio latency reduction.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 am

polybius22 wrote:I installed a xenogc and can't for the life of me figure out how to get this on disc. I get that its not recommended by the guy in charge, but how hard can this really be? I tried the homebrew_disc pack by infact, and wound up with a PAL disc which appears to have at least booted swiss in 50hz lol. So close but so far.. who's had success here?
Swiss has its own ISO, use that with an SD gecko and the boot.dol feature.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Anyone care to provide a little 'actually' helpful, brief information on how to get my GBI ISO working? I do not know how to append 1024 null bytes like suggested, but would like to know any alternatives or if someone wouldn't care to fix my ISO. I'll post it if requested.

I do not want to use Swiss. I would like to boot straight into GBI after loading the disc. I have already successfully made a GBI disc from the 9/09/17 release, but I would like to make one from the most recent release. For some reason, I just can't get the ISOs I've made to not freeze my Cube or Dolphin.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 pm

I think the easiest way to do it on windows would be to open the file in a hex editor and add 1024 bytes at the end of it with the value 0. Or on any unixy OS:

Code: Select all

truncate -s +1024 <file>
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Streetwalker wrote:I think the easiest way to do it on windows would be to open the file in a hex editor and add 1024 bytes at the end of it with the value 0. Or on any unixy OS:

truncate -s +1024 <file>
What hex editor would you suggest I use? Where you have <file>, do I input the exact file location? Sorry, I just don't know much at all about scripting language or any of that stuff. If I could post my ISO on here, would you care to add the null bytes for me? I really like GBI, and would just like to have it in the medium that I want it, as if it were the original GB Player Boot Disc. I don't like the sight of going through Swiss. I just want immediate boot up to GBI, and I'm willing to take the trouble, but just need the extra help.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:40 pm

The Memory Card Boot Disc just boot straight to a boot.dol file placed on a GameCube Memory Card.
polybius22

Post by polybius22 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 am

Claywilson, there is a dummy file generator here. https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=657
I used it to make an ISO of appropriate size, but sadly it's not working properly. Good luck and please let me know if you figure it out, or maybe you can post what you have and I can try to make a new ISO. Already bought the xeno and the DVD's, not looking to buy a Gecko if I don't have to.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 am

claywilson95 wrote:
Streetwalker wrote:I think the easiest way to do it on windows would be to open the file in a hex editor and add 1024 bytes at the end of it with the value 0. Or on any unixy OS:

truncate -s +1024 <file>
What hex editor would you suggest I use? Where you have <file>, do I input the exact file location? Sorry, I just don't know much at all about scripting language or any of that stuff. If I could post my ISO on here, would you care to add the null bytes for me? I really like GBI, and would just like to have it in the medium that I want it, as if it were the original GB Player Boot Disc. I don't like the sight of going through Swiss. I just want immediate boot up to GBI, and I'm willing to take the trouble, but just need the extra help.
Try this.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am

Streetwalker wrote:
claywilson95 wrote:

truncate -s +1024 <file>
Try this.

Thanks for the help guys. I installed HxD Hex Editor, opened my ISO into the program. I selected edit, insert bytes, and chose a bytecount of 1024 in hex format, and a hex value of 00. I added the bytes to the very end of the file and saved it. Tried loading the ISO in Dolphin and still did not work. What did I do wrong?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 am

You added them to the ISO and not the DOL.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 am

Extrems wrote:You added them to the ISO and not the DOL.

Oh, that's right, I see. Are there any particular files that I do not need to add to my ISO, that could potentially cause this error or another? Do I need to add GBI.GCI, GBI.DCP, or GBI.CLI? And, I do need to add the Controller.gba and Controller-Analog.gba files in order for using a GBA as a controller to work, right?

Sorry to flood this forum with all my questions. I appreciate all the help.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 am

You don't need any files as they can't be used with a disc. The GBA-as-GC controller ROM is built-in.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Okay, I see. I got it to work though, finally. Thanks for all the help! I do have one other thing I'm curious about. Is there any way to turn off the preset options from showing up on the screen upon bootup? I just turn them off every time it boots, but would like for them to not show as soon as it starts, but when I decide to use them rather.

Also, just being picky again, but when GBI first boots up, it doesn't boot at the start of the GBA sound playing, but a second or two after. I'd love to see that get fixed, if possible.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 pm

claywilson95 wrote:Is there any way to turn off the preset options from showing up on the screen upon bootup? I just turn them off every time it boots, but would like for them to not show as soon as it starts, but when I decide to use them rather.
If you mean the on-screen display, you need to pass --no-osd
claywilson95 wrote:Also, just being picky again, but when GBI first boots up, it doesn't boot at the start of the GBA sound playing, but a second or two after. I'd love to see that get fixed, if possible.
I don't understand. The power up is instant for me.
Weario

Post by Weario » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Extrems wrote:For low latency version:
  • Reverted audio latency reduction.
Ah, that's a shame, it seemed to work alright for me. But I only tested for a little while.
noodohs

Post by noodohs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 pm

It was the sort of cracks/pops like when I set the buffer size to low on an audio interface. Probably not that far off if I had to guess.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 am

Extrems wrote:
claywilson95 wrote:Is there any way to turn off the preset options from showing up on the screen upon bootup? I just turn them off every time it boots, but would like for them to not show as soon as it starts, but when I decide to use them rather.
If you mean the on-screen display, you need to pass --no-osd
claywilson95 wrote:Also, just being picky again, but when GBI first boots up, it doesn't boot at the start of the GBA sound playing, but a second or two after. I'd love to see that get fixed, if possible.
I don't understand. The power up is instant for me.
Could you give a brief explanation on how to pass "--no-osd"?

And when I first start GBI, every time it always boots up a second or two after the splash screen starts. So I don't hear and see the full thing as soon as I load it, not unless I press the reset button and let it boot again and then it shows the entire splash opening.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:20 am

claywilson95 wrote:Could you give a brief explanation on how to pass "--no-osd"?
Make a CLI file and append it to the DOL (before the padding).
claywilson95 wrote:And when I first start GBI, every time it always boots up a second or two after the splash screen starts. So I don't hear and see the full thing as soon as I load it, not unless I press the reset button and let it boot again and then it shows the entire splash opening.
It sounds like a problem with your display chain resynchronizing (from 480i to 480p?). I can't help you with that.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:45 am

Extrems wrote:
claywilson95 wrote:Could you give a brief explanation on how to pass "--no-osd"?
Make a CLI file and append it to the DOL (before the padding).

So, I need to make a CLI file and add it to the DOL, and then add 1024 null bytes to the DOL, or would that no longer be necessary? That's what I took from you saying "padding", appending the 1024 null bytes, unless you mean something else.

Could you also briefly explain how I could make a CLI file, and would I just take it into a hex editor afterwards and add the bytes to the end of the DOL in the editor? If I'm wrong, how would I add the CLI file to the DOL?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:11 am

A CLI file is just a regular text file, you put one argument on each line. Then pad that file to be 1024 bytes long and append it to the DOL, still using your hex editor.
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if there is any problem recently with the rumble function on GBP enhanced games or any special parameter to change to make it work? (beside the --enhance option)
I have the original Drill Dozer and Mario&Luigi Superstar games, in both I can activate the Rumble, but in game the rumble doesn't work at all... :cry:
The problem is the same in Normal LL or ULL versions. Only rumble doesn't work the rest of the functions work great.
I boot GBI from Swiss on SD Gecko, and I tried changing the parameters both at startup or with a cli file, but no matter what I tried I still get no rumble sadly.

Is there anything I might be missing? Any idea of what I could try to make it work?

Edit: I forgot to mention, the rumble is working perfectly in normal GC games, so it's obviously not a controller problem.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Rumble works fine for me in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. There's nothing else you need to do.
Ixoran

Post by Ixoran » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Stremon wrote:Hi guys,

I wanted to know if there is any problem recently with the rumble function on GBP enhanced games or any special parameter to change to make it work? (beside the --enhance option)
I have the original Drill Dozer and Mario&Luigi Superstar games, in both I can activate the Rumble, but in game the rumble doesn't work at all... :cry:
The problem is the same in Normal LL or ULL versions. Only rumble doesn't work the rest of the functions work great.
I boot GBI from Swiss on SD Gecko, and I tried changing the parameters both at startup or with a cli file, but no matter what I tried I still get no rumble sadly.

Is there anything I might be missing? Any idea of what I could try to make it work?

Edit: I forgot to mention, the rumble is working perfectly in normal GC games, so it's obviously not a controller problem.
I also have had no problems with GC rumble or GBA rumble. When you start the dol from swiss select rumble, hit left to select yes and make sure the rumble option is checked and hit start.

If youre enabling it right... are you on the latest version of GBI? Do you use any controller adapters or extension cables? They could be a problem.

Edit: iirc Regular GBI has rumble on by default so that could be a place to start testing.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:07 am

Streetwalker wrote:A CLI file is just a regular text file, you put one argument on each line. Then pad that file to be 1024 bytes long and append it to the DOL, still using your hex editor.
Did I do this correctly? I added the command to the end of the DOL, then added the 1024 null bytes.
Attachments
Hex Editor Pic.JPG
(138.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:16 am

For low latency version:
  • Added input viewer.
I'm 2 years late on this feature.