Post by Stremon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:47 am

Any chances of seeing a rumble function debug/fix? :P
Thanks ;)
claywilson95

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by claywilson95 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:45 am

Stremon wrote:Any chances of seeing a rumble function debug/fix? :P
Thanks ;)
Exactly what they said. And it would be great to be able to see in the OSD when the rumble is enabled in GBI.
sekaichu

Post by sekaichu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Hello,
Has anyone else had problems with using third party Gamecube controllers and GBI? I bought an unbranded Gamecube controller from eBay, and while it works fine with Gamecube games, when I run GBI it doesn't seem to respond to my controller's commands. I used an official dance pad as an experiment but that seemed to work... :lol:

I'm using the Wind Waker hack from a Memory Card 59 on a Japanese GC, fyi.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:25 pm

--poll=0 might make it work.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:10 am

• Added movie recording.
For standard edition:
  • Added movie playback.
The second reason for making Game Boy Interface has finally been realized.
Thanks to gifvex (Game Boy) and endrift (Game Boy Advance) for making this possible!
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:16 am

Extrems,

Just wanted to touch base with you an issue I'm having with the OSSC GBI driver. There's chroma shift to the right in your latest version that cannot be corrected with any phase sampling setting. However, your 'gcvideox' driver (and only that particular driver) manages to perfectly align on my OSSC when I dial in the sampling phase. It's in fact nothing short of perfect in my opinion. So whatever settings you're using in the 'gcvideox' driver, can you copy those over to the OSSC driver? Here are the two image captures showing the difference using official component cables into the OSSC:

First is the 'gcvideox' driver:

Looks frikken amazing, right?

Now look at the OSSC driver:

You can see the chroma shift to the right of the pixels.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:27 am

You're confused. The high-fidelity edition was made to rectify this. You're looking at the OSSC preset for the speedrunning edition.
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:41 am

Extrems wrote:You're confused. The high-fidelity edition was made to rectify this. You're looking at the OSSC preset for the speedrunning edition.
Well what I'm saying is: NONE of the other 'high-fidelity' drivers can be dialed in to look flawless like the 'gcvideox' version does on the OSSC. Additionally, since it even looks better than the speed runner's OSSC driver, it strangely becomes the 'ideal' driver to use on the OSSC if you want the cleanest possible image. That's what I was getting at.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:45 am

That's weird considering what I made you test is equivalent to the default settings.

The high-fidelity edition doesn't have the features of the speedrunning edition, and someone might want to use the speedrunning edition with an OSSC.
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:48 am

Yeah it's strange, but I sat here and tested each high fidelity version, and the 'gcvideox' version came the closest I have ever seen to pixel perfection on the OSSC. So I don't know what it is you're setting different in that version, but it seems to somehow fall into the 'sweet spot' for OSSC alignment.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:51 am

All 3 chroma locations are valid for the official component cables, but presumably not when modified for RGBHV, or using a PAL GameCube's RGBcvS.
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 am

Just so people know, I'm using an NTSC Gamecube with official component cables into the OSSC.

Using the 'gbihf-gcvideox' driver, here are the optimal best picture settings I dialed in for line4x mode (as an example):

Video LPF = 35 MHz (this may seem strange, but trust me that it all jives together for a perfect image)

Line4X mode = 320x240 optimal

Sync Opt.:

Analog sync LPF = 2.5 MHz (max)

Advance timing (320x240):

H. Samplerate = 433

Sampling opt.:

Sampling Phase = 270 degrees (this will differ from console to console).

I checked Game Boy/Color mode and everything looks beautiful there as well. Check out this screen grab from Link's Awakening:

garboy13

Post by garboy13 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Hey guys, I just started using this with my GC Video hdmi adapter and regardless of the version I use (standard, high fidelity, speed run), I can't get a crisp picture. I noticed a file that says gc video in it for the high fidelity version. How do I use it? Which settings would be ideal for getting the crispest image with minimal latency? Thank you. :)
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:09 am

So no debug or anything for the rumble function I guess? :P
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Stremon wrote:So no debug or anything for the rumble function I guess? :P
Free stuff takes time. Appreciate what you have already :)
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:54 am

Extrems wrote:All 3 chroma locations are valid for the official component cables, but presumably not when modified for RGBHV, or using a PAL GameCube's RGBcvS.
Unrelated question, but if I want to add the zoom argument to have it set to 2.375X, do I input it as "--zoom=<2.375:0>"? I don't know what I'm supposed to put for a Y value. You have the format showed as "--zoom=<x:y>"
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:06 am

It can be "--zoom=2.375", but it's "--zoom=2.375:2.375" to answer your question.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 am

Extrems wrote:It can be "--zoom=2.375", but it's "--zoom=2.375:2.375" to answer your question.
Thanks! And I don't need those < > symbols?
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:41 am

Extrems wrote:It can be "--zoom=2.375", but it's "--zoom=2.375:2.375" to answer your question.
And when setting the offset and inputting negative integers, do I type it as "--offset=-2:-3", for example?
endgame22

Post by endgame22 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:17 am

garboy13 wrote:Hey guys, I just started using this with my GC Video hdmi adapter and regardless of the version I use (standard, high fidelity, speed run), I can't get a crisp picture. I noticed a file that says gc video in it for the high fidelity version. How do I use it? Which settings would be ideal for getting the crispest image with minimal latency? Thank you. :)
I would also like to know what the best preset would be when using the GCHD by Eon, since it uses the same coding as the GCVideo. Obviously I would be using an HD tv
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:57 am

Also, I've noticed something new with the rumble issue. When using a rumble enabled game, the rumble works through the cartridge on GBI, unless if the cartridge does not have built in rumble, the rumble does not work at all. In Drill Dozer, the actual cartridge rumbles inside the Gameboy Player during gameplay using GBI. In Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, the rumble option in the main menu settings is completely greyed out, as if rumble isn't available to use at all in the GBI configuration. And of course, rumble in that game will not work with GBI due to it not having that built in cartridge based rumble. It's as if GBI is treating the rumble enabled games, all games, like they were in a GBA instead of in a Game Boy Player with a rumble-enabled controller. Any idea what's going on?

And turning off GBI enhacements does indeed improve the frame rate of Drill Dozer back up to where it should be. No more sluggishness with them disabled!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:11 pm

For GBA-as-GC controller:
  • Improved implementation.
  • Fixed compatibility with Mayflash GameCube Controller Adapter.
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Stremon wrote:So no debug or anything for the rumble function I guess? :P
Free stuff takes time. Appreciate what you have already :)
I do appreciate it a lot, I am very thankful for Extrems to provide such good piece of software for free, and I don't mean to be rude or anything.
He is the only one who managed to fix the problems the GBP had, and improve it to make it the ultimate solution to play GBA on the big screen.
Some of us do have a lot of trouble to make the rumble function work, but I never meant to put pressure on him to fix it.
I would gladly do a lot to help with that, including giving a lot of my free time doing lot of testing and searching for the source of the problem (which I have already been doing).
I would even try to find a fix myself if I had the source code and enough knowledge in GC/GBA programming.
And if you think I can't understand what being a dev means, I am actually CG tools dev and animator for major gaming companies here in Japan.
Of course I wouldn't say my level in programming is very high since it's only half of my job, but it's enough to know what it means to program free tools for others in my free time.
I was being somewhat insistent on this subject because I really want to find a solution to this problem, and Extrems suddenly stopped responding to any messages related to the Rumble function while still answering to the other issues, so I just wanted to know what was going on, if we pissed him off or something.
If he tells me that for now there is no chance of seeing it fixed, because he can't reproduce the problem or can't focus on it (because it's obviously a minor function), I would totally understand ;)
GoddessMaria

Post by GoddessMaria » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello!

First off, I want to say thank you for making GBI! For those that make GB/GBC/GBA TASes, it is a lifesaver to have a way to verify their runs on console. The other features and improvements are also lovely. As a Judge on TASVideos, it's very helpful to have a way to have the accessibility of console verifications for judging a submission. Such a case was the Pokémon Blue TAS by gifvex as well as the one from luckytyphlosion.

That said, I have a small question. Judging from the file extension of the movie files on the first post (also in the extras download) and the txt file contained therein, how would I go about converting them for playback on GBI?

Thanks!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:00 pm

It's complicated.

For GB/GBC, you need to extract input timestamps out of an emulator, and use this conversion formula:

Code: Select all

(cycles + 35112 * 14 - 228 * 90 - 512) / 512
For GBA, incrementing cycles by 280896 per-frame is sufficient.

(cycles - 83776 - 4096) / 4096
For GBPP-verified movies, use this formula:

(cycles - 4096) / 4096
L/R button codes are swapped on the Game Boy Player. GZip compression is optional.