Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
VegaVegas

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by VegaVegas » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:07 am

What is the difference between GBIHF and GBISR then??
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:46 am

Well, basically, everything? Note that GBIHF has limited use cases and yours isn't one of them.

In GBISR, it does mean a frame of latency.
Ronin64

Post by Ronin64 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:20 am

Hi, I'm new to using Gameboy Interface and I have a question.
At the top of the Wiki, it says that it is strongly recommended to update to the latest version of GCVideo to use this software. Why exactly? Are there any risks involved or is it just compatibility issues? I have an older Carby that can't be updated easily and I would still like to use this software in the meantime until I can get it updated.
Thanks in advance & thanks for the great software.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:58 am

I personally use a GCPlug with FW 2.4d with no problems, as long as I can do without the further improvements that adresses some limitations of the early versions.

You'll just have to face out known issues here and there, but It won't hurt your console or TV anyways.

Still, as soon as I get my hands on a TL866a, I'll upgrade to the V3+ FW.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
gaseoso

Post by gaseoso » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:25 pm

Hey, everyone.

I'm trying to set this up, but I can't make the overlays to show up. I tried reading the wiki and then reading through this thread, but I couldn't figure it out. My Gamecube is a US DOL-101 hooked to a CRT, so I only have 480i. I'm running Swiss r1215, and my settings for GBI are as follows:

Code: Select all

--format=ntsc
--scan-mode=interlace
--delay-reset=0
--overlay-id=1
However, the overlays don't seem to be loaded no matter what I do. I tried setting overlay to "01", tried moving the "frame" files to different folders, and nothing. Yes, I have downloaded the "extras" package, and I extracted it to my SD card (running through SD Gecko on slot B, although I can also use SP2 if it's necessary, since I hacked my DOL-101 to have a frontal SP2).

The files were set as follows: I have a GBI folder in my SD card's root directory. I'll call this "main GBI folder". Inside this main one, I have all the GBI files that came with the latest release, along with another GBI folder which was included in the release package. I'll call this "secondary GBI folder". I downloaded the "extras" package, and inside that file, there was yet another GBI folder, so I unpacked the contents of that folder into my own main GBI folder in the SD card. Nothing happened. I also tried unpacking the files into the secondary GBI folder. Nothing either.

What am I doing wrong? I'm using the GBIHF file to launch Gameboy Interface, btw.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:50 pm

GBIHF doesn't support overlays and isn't meant to be used in your setup.
gaseoso

Post by gaseoso » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:05 am

Ah, that's a bummer :|

What would be the recommended for me then?
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:22 am

we often have a game cartridge, which may malfunction.
it would be possible to run games by GBI. through the game boy player without a cartridge in the slot?
or in a way that games were read from SD between swiss and gbi.
???
SWISS USER :geek:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:29 pm

GBI doesn't run games, it is just an interface to display what the GBPlayer has to display.

As-is, a GBPlayer, as a GBA, can run little programs, such as additionnal players' or Minigames off GC games (Animal crossing, chocobos, Sega chaosses…) or even emulators if small enough with the rom , connected to a source via the link cable. The GBPlayer can be feed from the GC via an internal link connection (there is a switch in the connector, to disable it, when an external cable is plugged in), but the limitations are almost the same. GBI has a dumping utility for Rom and Save memory areas, it is sent to the add-on this way.

What you want can only be achieved with a GBA linker/flashcart that simulates the cartrige hardware in the cart slot, without it, you have to use an emulator, for which the GBPlayer is useless, you have the choice on the GC: eMGBA, VBAgx, those in retroarch…

gaseoso> Read carefuly: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _Interface
You have specific section for each, in which you'll be able to see what settings each supports.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
gaseoso

Post by gaseoso » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:21 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:29 pm
gaseoso> Read carefuly: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _Interface
You have specific section for each, in which you'll be able to see what settings each supports.
I know, I paid close attention now. I mixed them all up lol :lol:

Alright, I think the best solution for me would be the Speedrunning edition, since compared to the standart one, it seems to have zero input lag, no motion blur, looks great on my CRT, and it supports borders. Very nice :)
pcmspm

Post by pcmspm » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Hi,

First off, thanks for providing such a good piece of software!

I have a question - I wonder if it's possible to revert the control scheme to the same one as the Game Boy Player software uses? I went through the documentation on gc-forever wiki and couldn't find an answer.
The issue is that I was planning to use raphnet SNES-to-GC controller adapter, and the adapter was designed for the GBP control scheme. That is, it expects the GBA Select button to be mapped to Y on GC controller, and the GBP menu button to Z. As it is, the GBI (I'm using the Standard edition) maps GBA Select to Z, and the GBI menu (OSD) to X. While still usable, it's a bit inconvenient - with the raphnet adapter, I have to press SNES A+X to act as GBA Select, and I can't toggle the OSD (GC X is not mapped).

Thanks in advance for the reply.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:18 pm

I think I have seen something about setting the scheme in the GBPlayer's original software so it is set in the console's SRAM, then kept when back into GBI, though I never tried.

What really eludes me, and prevents me from buying these Raphnet's adapter, is why they don't just pass button to button, plus Z for select, that would make way more sense as those are designed for retro-gaming (or aren't they?), playing S/NES, GB/A games.

Bumflufftornado

Post by Bumflufftornado » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:03 am

Howdy :D

I've gotten GBI HF working with retrotink 5x (using hd prism + component converter). I'm using the gbihf-ossc.dol+cli, and the Retrotink picks up the 360p signal and sets to optimal mode!

Super happy with everything but having one problem with Golden Sun.

The overworld map has some kind of "every-other frame flickering" that makes the map kinda nauseating. (This website post details more about it https://mgba.io/2020/01/21/mgba-0.8.0/).

Is there any setting with GBI-HF that negates the jitteriness, or is that just a perk of the complicated setup :P
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:36 pm

It can only be mitigated in GBI and GBISR.
Bumflufftornado

Post by Bumflufftornado » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:44 am

Extrems wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:36 pm
It can only be mitigated in GBI and GBISR.
Thanks so much for you assistance again!

I noticed the game also bumps slightly left when entering battles/certain dialogues. I feel like it's not doing it in GBI, do you think that's caused by the same effect? I'm just curious at this point so I know what to accept in future games :)

(I made a 5 second clip of it, sorry it's on twitch this was easiest for me to share https://clips.twitch.tv/DullFantasticSa ... pDe11zW7xs )
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:12 am

That's the auto-phase doing funny things as usual, but it looks like you forgot to turn off chroma interpolation on your Prism, which would confuse the auto-phase.
Bumflufftornado

Post by Bumflufftornado » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:30 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:12 am
That's the auto-phase doing funny things as usual, but it looks like you forgot to turn off chroma interpolation on your Prism, which would confuse the auto-phase.
Wow good call! That's gone and fixed it. Sorry for missing that step in the guide ><

Thanks heaps :) I think it's looking really good and playing great so far.
Bumflufftornado

Post by Bumflufftornado » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:47 am

I have another question sorry, If you could please check this footage you can see some kind of.. noise? (sorry dunno how to describe, trying to learn).

You can see it most clearly if you look at the solid colours in the menus. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1218942745?t=01h11m17s

It's happpening in SWISS as well as games, so I'm thinking it's either the 'hdmi>component converter' or the cables (pretty sure it went away when switching to hdmi straight from prism as a test). Could you advise if you think I'm on the right track here or possibly missing something else?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:58 am

It could come from the power supplies of the HDMI to YPbPr converter and/or RetroTINK-5X Pro, but the RetroTINK-5X Pro is noisy in general.
Bumflufftornado

Post by Bumflufftornado » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:38 am

Extrems wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:58 am
It could come from the power supplies of the HDMI to YPbPr converter and/or RetroTINK-5X Pro, but the RetroTINK-5X Pro is noisy in general.
Thank you, I'll look into those things :)
MexicanFingerTrap

Post by MexicanFingerTrap » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:04 pm

Hey, I'm new to Gameboy Interface and I wanted to know the framerates of GBI and its different versions. When I have the OSD active I'm consistently getting 59.94 fps, however everyone in the speedrunning community swears the framerate is 59.7275. Is this dependent on the version of GBI?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:15 pm

The frame rate is always the same and cannot be controlled. It's decoupled from the GameCube.
MexicanFingerTrap

Post by MexicanFingerTrap » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:48 pm

I'm pretty dense. So is the framerate of GBI not 59.7275?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:50 pm

The Game Boy Player is always outputting 59.7275 frames per second. This always need to be converted on the GameCube.
MexicanFingerTrap

Post by MexicanFingerTrap » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:55 pm

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!