Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Riskbreaker

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Riskbreaker » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:11 am

Hey everyone. Hi Extrems. Incredible work you've done here. I'm always blown away when I find people that create these awesome tools for gaming. I get sucked in and spend hours learning as much as I can.

So I've scoured through this thread to try and understand why my GBI doesn't have the same boxes I can tick when I load from Swiss and my SD card as others do. I don't have Frames 1-19, or scan interlace/progressive like I've seen in screenshots. I also see a lot more 'options' in the wiki for GBI then I see in mine. I know those seem to be older versions in some screens shots (LL and ULL) if I'm understanding correctly. But can I get those options to show up as boxes I can tick in the latest builds? I extracted everything directly to the root of my SD yesterday with the latest files provided and the extras folder. I know I must be missing something when others have those option boxes and I don't.

Thanks for your time and help.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:25 am

The option sets shown in Swiss changed over time and aren't meant to cover everything, as it's not possible to cover everything.

I attempted to cover the more useful things within the limitations of what was meant to be a stopgap solution.
Riskbreaker

Post by Riskbreaker » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:35 am

That was an incredibly fast reply, thanks!

Well that puts me at ease that I'm not doing anything wrong in my setup on the SD card. I was going nuts looking for why I couldn't select those frames like other people were doing. I did come across one post talking about editing the GCI file. I'm guessing I can still make changes to certain options such as frame graphic through that?

Thanks again!
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:25 am

In the extras, you have an example .cli file, open the one dedicated to the GBI variant you want to use, and to complete that, one of the links Extrems just posted a little earlier points to the WiKi that explains every option in these CLI files.

Note that if you have a .cli file corresponding to the variant you launch, or if SWISS's options are set not to "manage files", you won't see the menu with the tick boxes.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Riskbreaker

Post by Riskbreaker » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:25 am
In the extras, you have an example .cli file, open the one dedicated to the GBI variant you want to use, and to complete that, one of the links Extrems just posted a little earlier points to the WiKi that explains every option in these CLI files.

Note that if you have a .cli file corresponding to the variant you launch, or if SWISS's options are set not to "manage files", you won't see the menu with the tick boxes.
OK that's the same wiki I've looked at to see all these options.

I have Swiss set to manage files. And sorry for being a little new at this, I'm looking it up as I'm replying. So after I open the .cli.example file on my PC and edit it, what would the next step be? Would I rename the file to .dol so I can launch it from my SD card? Or just delete .example so it works?
So to clarify, this method sets up my GBI exactly how I want and bypasses the menu with tick boxes altogether. Because I do have the majority of them showing up which is convenient for some options. I guess it's like Extrems said, Swiss displays different ones throughout different iterations the program goes through.

Thanks.
CarnalDevices

Post by CarnalDevices » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:02 pm

You can just delete off the .example and leave it with an extension of .cli - or you can open a new document in notepad, copy and paste what you want into it, and then save it as a gbi.cli (just don't save it as a .txt)

The .dol file will still be used to launch GBi, but will use the options from the .cli (command line interface) file.

I've been digging around trying to put my ideal GBi / CLI implementation together, and it's a bit frustrating. A lot of options and parameters have come and gone over different versions and editions. Many of the commands for the CLI options have become deprecated - and when you search and come up with a post from a few months ago it's already outdated.

Good luck.
CarnalDevices

Post by CarnalDevices » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:24 pm

I found the sound settings on the wiki:

--sound=<[mono|stereo][,digital|analog]>
Set sound mode. The default is the Sound Mode system setting (mono or stereo).
digital
Use PWM decoder (default).
analog[=<a0:a1:a2:b1:b2>]
Use 2MHz biquad filter. Defaults to a second-order low-pass filter with a cut-off of 10kHz and a quality factor of √2 if not specified.

My question, does using a GCVideo implementation always use digital, or can it use analog as well? And what are the analog options a0,a1,a2,b1,b2 referencing? Basically, I'd like to be able to apply a low pass filter to further remove the very shrill high-end that I'm getting.

Thanks in advance.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:29 pm

Analog is a digital simulation of the RLC circuit on the headphone out of a real Game Boy Advance. The parameters are the usual for a biquad filter.

If you compare the default with bit-exact decoding (https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/Standard_Edition#Sound_emulation), it amplifies high frequencies.

The standard edition uses analog by default, the others use digital. The example configuration has what you're looking for.
CarnalDevices

Post by CarnalDevices » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Is the sample rate for the filter 2Mhz then?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:59 pm

Yes.
Riskbreaker

Post by Riskbreaker » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:40 am

CarnalDevices wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:02 pm
You can just delete off the .example and leave it with an extension of .cli - or you can open a new document in notepad, copy and paste what you want into it, and then save it as a gbi.cli (just don't save it as a .txt)

The .dol file will still be used to launch GBi, but will use the options from the .cli (command line interface) file.

I've been digging around trying to put my ideal GBi / CLI implementation together, and it's a bit frustrating. A lot of options and parameters have come and gone over different versions and editions. Many of the commands for the CLI options have become deprecated - and when you search and come up with a post from a few months ago it's already outdated.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help and insight. It has been a little frustrating but I'll keep researching. And the answers here are a huge help and very appreciated.
piregg

Post by piregg » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Hi guys. I've just got my first modded GC and have GBI (kind of) setup. So far I've been using the regular edition. I have a Carby 2, using an ntsc GC going to a 4k TV and I'd like to use the high fidelity version of GBI. Does anyone have some settings to recommend please? Also, any other tips on getting started would be great. I've had a read through the Wiki but getting a bit stuck, many thanks!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:28 pm

The high-fidelity edition isn't appropriate to use with a CARBY.
piregg

Post by piregg » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:28 pm
The high-fidelity edition isn't appropriate to use with a CARBY.
ah ok, what version/settings would you recommend for the carby please? (If you know)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:51 pm

The GCHD preset for the speedrunning edition will provide the best picture possible. You can add back color/sound emulation afterward if desired.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 am

Hey, can't manage to get back to SWISS from the HF version, did I miss something or is it just not possible to do so?
Edit: I missed the link to the detailed wiki since I had already clicked on it, it isn't highlighted anymore. :oops:
So the answer is: There is no such shortcut unlike in the regular version.

From RetroRGB site, in the e-Bay link, I found this seller that sells GBI, SWISS or any other hacks on Memcards, and charges quite a bit for that, is he allowed to do so?
https://www.ebay.com/usr/rocket_trading ... 7675.l2559

Uh, and not to pop uselessly, the last release is from september the seventh, same goes for emGBA, keep updated! ;)
And thanks again to Extrems! 8-)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Link99

Post by Link99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Community,
first of all, many thanks to Extrems for the excellent work of the GBI.
I have the tool in use since a couple of weeks. There is a strange problem, that I have recognized with the GBI:
When I use a preset or select some options via the .dcp file, it seems GBI lost the SD path. The GBP borders are lost, the screenshot function in the standard version shows "no device" and the GBA dumper is also not applicable.
The strange thing is, when I use it with no preset and options, all works normally. Also when I put an absolut path for the borders in the preset, it works (only the borders).
Did I something wrong, or is there an issue in the current GBI release?
Configuration:
GBI folder is on the root of the SD Card (with the extra package)
In my case, I put the dol files in a subfolder "apps". I also tried it directly in the root, but there is the same behavior.
I also tried differend SD Cards and SD Adapters, but with the same result (I don't think there is the problem).
Thanks for the support.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 am
From RetroRGB site, in the e-Bay link, I found this seller that sells GBI, SWISS or any other hacks on Memcards, and charges quite a bit for that, is he allowed to do so?
Absolutely not.
Link99 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:42 pm
This was fixed in the September 7, 2019 release.
Link99

Post by Link99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:32 pm
Link99 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:42 pm
This was fixed in the September 7, 2019 release.
Wow, thanks for the quick answer. Yes that's it, sorry I missed the September release.
Last edited by Link99 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambidextrose

Post by Ambidextrose » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:34 pm

I've been using the Gameboy interface combined with my OSSC for a decent bit now and I've usually used the OSSC preset but it seems to lack the quick configuration menu when I access it through swiss compared to the normal HF version. Since I'd like to use the different color options, would I have to manually adjust the config file every time I'd want to do that or is there another way?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 pm

If you must use the menu, "Video Format: HD60" and "Video Mode: 240p60" is equivalent to the preset.
Ambidextrose

Post by Ambidextrose » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Extrems wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 pm
If you must use the menu, "Video Format: HD60" and "Video Mode: 240p60" is equivalent to the preset.
Ah, thanks. I'll try that.
rng_zeus

Post by rng_zeus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:42 pm

I'm running gbihf outputting on a Sony pvm-20m4u (supports 240p) with official GCN components cables. Any recommendations for settings and values for good clean scaling and overall picture quality from the cli? The default screen size is pretty small and I want one dimension to fill most of the screen without changing the aspect ratio.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:48 pm

rng_zeus wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:42 pm
I'm running gbihf outputting on a Sony pvm-20m4u (supports 240p) with official GCN components cables. Any recommendations for settings and values for good clean scaling and overall picture quality from the cli? The default screen size is pretty small and I want one dimension to fill most of the screen without changing the aspect ratio.
GBIHF cannot zoom or display in a correct aspect ratio. You must use a video processor. 1080i is the exception.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:46 am

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:46 am
ochentay4 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 pm
Is GBI compatible with "SuperCard Mini"?
Little late, but confirmed working, sometimes need to press reset for quite long.
There are issues with sound and garbled graphics, I don't know what's wrong, but I can't play four swords correctly with my SC Mini on either of my GBPs, if I run GBI to run it.

Tested Working with the same "exact" rom (The SC Mini Rom needs to be altered in some way to work with it, but it was first dumped off my own cart):
SC Mini / DS (NTR)
SC Mini / GBA (AGB)
SC Mini / GBP (DOL-017) / GBP boot disc ISO SD gecko SlotB
Original cart / GBP (DOL-017) / GBI SD gecko SlotB

Tested not working:
SC Mini / GBP (DOL-017) / GBI SD gecko SlotB

I had experienced mixed kind of weird things before, with other games, but hadn't the time to investigate more.

Edit: Tested further with the HF and SR versions, both cause glitches too. Maybe the SR a little less, as I managed to play for more than one hour, but it is far from ideal.