Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:50 pm

I don't mind it since it highlights GBI's multi boot capability for GBA homebrew development.

The same artifact appear in higan (the only GBA emulator with a dot-based renderer), so it's not a GBI issue.
LDigital82

Post by LDigital82 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks for the update. This now works on my dodgy unit and I had just ordered another unit from eBay haha

For the Gbi dol version how do I make it non interlaced? I only seem to be able to take pictures, change size and offset the position using the controller

Also what is the different function of the framemeister mode? I can’t see any difference

Thanks
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 pm

LDigital82 wrote:For the Gbi dol version how do I make it non interlaced? I only seem to be able to take pictures, change size and offset the position using the controller
The easiest way is using Swiss and setting Scan Mode to 240p60. Standard GBI isn't really intended to be used in this mode however.
LDigital82 wrote:Also what is the different function of the framemeister mode? I can’t see any difference
It's for use with FirebrandX's Framemeister profiles. It currently set the following:

Code: Select all

--aspect=1:1
--format=ntsc
--scan-mode=non-interlace
noodohs

Post by noodohs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:02 pm

To start, would just like to say thanks for making this. This is my first post here (I created an account just so I could), but I read through all 35 pages of the forum trying to see if my questions were answered so I wouldn't be "that guy." I think I mostly have the answers now, but I wanted to check a couple things.

1. It appears that even if I want to use the GBA as my controller, I still have to have a GC controller connected to navigate the SD Media Launcher menu, but, after that, GBA should work regardless of what port it is in, correct?
2. On a related note, I am looking to bypass the menu entirely and just boot straight to GBI-LL. As I understand it, I can do this by appending any options I want and renaming the file using the command you posted back on page 29: copy /b gbi-ll.dol + gbi-ll.cli autoexec.dol. This would, I believe, eliminate the need for me to use a GC controller at all. But I have some questions about the options. I generally like how it is, but I'm not a fan of the default purple border. Which setting do I need to change to turn that off? I also notice FBX likes to use aspect 1:1 to maintain pixel aspect, what is the reason for defaulting to 11:10? I am playing on a PVM, so it is probably less critical than it would be on an HDTV, but trying to weigh the pros and cons.
3. Finally, I originally used the ULL version, but, as others have noticed, after about 45 minutes to an hour I got some artifacting. When someone asked about that (also on page 29), you mentioned they should use GBI LL with --format=custom. What does this do and why would I want to change the format to that? Does it reduce input lag with LL? Is it meant to set the refresh to the same as ULL but somehow eliminate the artifacting?

Potentially related, but I think you may have released two updates since I first downloaded it, so apologies if some of these have been fixed/changed since then. Thanks!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:15 pm

noodohs wrote:It appears that even if I want to use the GBA as my controller, I still have to have a GC controller connected to navigate the SD Media Launcher menu, but, after that, GBA should work regardless of what port it is in, correct?
Correct.
noodohs wrote:I generally like how it is, but I'm not a fan of the default purple border. Which setting do I need to change to turn that off?
If you don't want a border at all, delete frame-srgb.tpl.gz
The file actually contains 20 borders, selectable with --overlay-id=<0-19>
noodohs wrote:I also notice FBX likes to use aspect 1:1 to maintain pixel aspect, what is the reason for defaulting to 11:10?
1:1 is actually narrower than intended, ITU-R BT.601 has non-square pixels. He likes to use it because of the interpolation issues.
noodohs wrote:Is it meant to set the refresh to the same as ULL but somehow eliminate the artifacting?
Yes. The artifacting is eliminated with the use of a framebuffer.
It's also now the default if you're using the Digital A/V Output.
noodohs

Post by noodohs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 pm

Extrems wrote:
noodohs wrote:It appears that even if I want to use the GBA as my controller, I still have to have a GC controller connected to navigate the SD Media Launcher menu, but, after that, GBA should work regardless of what port it is in, correct?
Correct.
noodohs wrote:I generally like how it is, but I'm not a fan of the default purple border. Which setting do I need to change to turn that off?
If you don't want a border at all, delete frame-srgb.tpl.gz
The file actually contains 20 borders, selectable with --overlay-id=<0-19>
noodohs wrote:I also notice FBX likes to use aspect 1:1 to maintain pixel aspect, what is the reason for defaulting to 11:10?
1:1 is actually narrower than intended, ITU-R BT.601 has non-square pixels. He likes to use it because of the interpolation issues.
noodohs wrote:Is it meant to set the refresh to the same as ULL but somehow eliminate the artifacting?
Yes. The artifacting is eliminated with the use of a framebuffer.
It's also now the default if you're using the Digital A/V Output.
Great, thanks! I am using s-video for now, though I will be upgrading via a GCVideo mod to get component/RGB out of it at some point. In that case, I assume I will want to set it manually to custom? That basically gives me a best of both worlds, then, just with a frame of lag instead of basically none?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm

Yes.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 am

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I'm trying to build an ISO of the regular GBI in GC Bootable Disc GUI. Everytime I make the ISO, I load it in Dolphin and the window freezes, never loads and stays black. When I burn it to a disc for my Gamecube, it freezes also just moment after recognizing the disc. I'm selecting GBI.DOL as the bootup, and inserting everything else into the root. On this attempt, I didn't include GBI.CLI, GBI.DCP, or GBI.GCI. I have made bootable GBI discs with previous versions of GBI that worked perfectly. It is just this new version that Extrems recently released that I cannot get to work for some reason I don't understand. Thanks for the help!
Attachments
4.JPG
(67.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3.JPG
(78.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.JPG
(71.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1.jpg
(101.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:02 am

It's the GC-Linux apploader panicking. You need to append 1024 null bytes to the DOL.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:15 am

Could you explain to me how I could do that? This isn't the first time I've asked about a situation like this and you suggested I do that same thing. Somehow I fixed it myself some other way last time.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:03 am

Extrems wrote:It's the GC-Linux apploader panicking. You need to append 1024 null bytes to the DOL.
In what program can I use the truncate command, and how exactly?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:06 am

I recommend you use an SD card instead. Or put GBI on a memory card and use the memory card boot disc.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 am

Extrems wrote:I recommend you use an SD card instead. Or put GBI on a memory card and use the memory card boot disc.
I already have a bootable disc with a previous release of GBI, and I'd really like to keep GBI on a standalone disc without having to use an SD card. Anything else you recommend?
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:51 am

Extrems wrote:I recommend you use an SD card instead. Or put GBI on a memory card and use the memory card boot disc.
This is a pretty general question, but my boot disc has GBI September 9th, 2017 release on it. Are the updates you've made really worth me making a disc with the newest release?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 am

Making a disc is never worth it, this is alpha-quality software.
noodohs

Post by noodohs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Extrems wrote:Making a disc is never worth it, this is alpha-quality software.
Don't sell yourself short! Quality is certainly better than alpha, IMO. As a follow-up, did as you suggested and now I've got it booting up automatically with no borders. Will give it a longer test tonight to make sure it's running smoothly with the customer format, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. Thanks again!
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:07 pm

noodohs wrote:
Don't sell yourself short! Quality is certainly better than alpha, IMO. As a follow-up, did as you suggested and now I've got it booting up automatically with no borders. Will give it a longer test tonight to make sure it's running smoothly with the customer format, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. Thanks again!
Did you manage to make a functioning ISO of the regular GBI (not LL or ULL)? If so, please let me know how you did it, and post it for download haha!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 pm

You can't use borders with a disc to begin with, and he said he's using the SD Media Launcher.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:36 am

lel, make a quality trash tier Swiss boot disc instead to boot this alpha quality software instead 8-)
noodohs

Post by noodohs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm also using GBI-LL in addition to not using a disc :p. Played for over an hour last night with no tearing or skipping or what have you at all. The 1 frame of input lag is not noticeable at all, so I am very happy with how it's all set up now. Thanks for all your hard work on this, Extrems!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:21 pm

• Added color matrix from Gambatte. (requires 1.0 gamma settings)
  • Added mono sound mode.
  • Fixed wiiload autoboot with tiny GBA multiboot ROMs.
For low latency version:
  • Reduced audio latency.
  • Fixed per-field settings with default video mode.
Weario

Post by Weario » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Ooh, reduced audio latency! I am certainly checking it out!
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:49 am

Could anyone post the September 9th, 2017 release files for GBI?
noodohs

Post by noodohs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:39 am

In quiet sections (like the map and menu screens in Circle of the Moon), there seems to be an occasional audio glitch, like a quiet click, that I don't remember hearing before.
polybius22

Post by polybius22 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 am

I installed a xenogc and can't for the life of me figure out how to get this on disc. I get that its not recommended by the guy in charge, but how hard can this really be? I tried the homebrew_disc pack by infact, and wound up with a PAL disc which appears to have at least booted swiss in 50hz lol. So close but so far.. who's had success here?